SOLD! Two Sets of 528 Rear Window Motor

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a source who has a set of 528 rear window motors that according to " the go to man " HB Chris they will work on any E9 window. $60 each.
Koopman

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These are rear motors, Bosch numbers ending in 026 and 027.

Attachments

• DC1FDBDF-FB2A-40B3-9307-8B56395DB888.jpeg
    DC1FDBDF-FB2A-40B3-9307-8B56395DB888.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 174

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Chris
Please educate me on these ! 5 questions for you to answer please.
-I am guessing ..25 and ...26 refers to left and right Motors .
-Are these from the back windows of the 528i (1978 to 1981 , so called E12) ?
-Are these plug and play (fit right in) or should I plan on doing some retrofitting ?
-What year did they change from the Sadine style Motors?
-I guess the regulators changed too when the Sardine Motors changed , Correct?
Thanks
Tony P.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tony,

Sardine cans replaced in Feb/Mar of 73 when switches and regulators also changed and circuit breakers were added. E28 rear door motors are plug and play with these (add a spade terminal). E12 does not work. E28 motors can be adapted to the sardine style and there is a post here detailing how to do it. Biggest change is three wires to two. Yes, the Bosch numbers end in 026 and 027, L and R.

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
E28 motors can be adapted to the sardine style and there is a post here detailing how to do it.

There is a step-by-step explanation of this conversion at:

https://sites.google.com/site/kdelimon/windowmotorconversion1

https://sites.google.com/site/kdelimon/windowmotorconversion2

Biggest change is three wires to two.

That defines the biggest difference between the sardine can and e28 motors. But I don't think Chris meant that wiring was the biggest part of this conversion. Phrased differently, the e28 motors aren't a simple bolt-in replacement for the "sardine can" motors, though the degree of drilling and cutting needed can be done with common hand tools. The two websites referenced above explain the mechanical and electrical mods.

Koopman said:
Are you saying you don't need the gearbox?

Right, don't need the separate gearbox used with the "sardine can" motors. The e28 motor and gearbox are integrated.

IMG_0228-large.jpg

Last edited:

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is a step-by-step explanation of this conversion at:

https://sites.google.com/site/kdelimon/windowmotorconversion1

https://sites.google.com/site/kdelimon/windowmotorconversion2

That defines the biggest difference between the sardine can and e28 motors. But I don't think Chris meant that wiring was the biggest part of this conversion. Phrased differently, the e28 motors aren't a simple bolt-in replacement for the "sardine can" motors, though the degree of drilling and cutting needed can be done with common hand tools. The two websites referenced above explain the mechanical and electrical mods.

Right, don't need the separate gearbox used with the "sardine can" motors. The e28 motor and gearbox are integrated.

IMG_0228-large.jpg

Jmackro,
Thank you !! This link is much better than the other one I was reffed to while back. This one does it without cutting the portion of the door inner shell by using spacers! Not sure however if the adjusting (tilt) mobility for the Window regulator is limited with this method. I have tow Motors coming my way and I will be trying this .
Thank you again Sir!:)

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tony,

Sardine cans replaced in Feb/Mar of 73 when switches and regulators also changed and circuit breakers were added. E28 rear door motors are plug and play with these (add a spade terminal). E12 does not work. E28 motors can be adapted to the sardine style and there is a post here detailing how to do it. Biggest change is three wires to two. Yes, the Bosch numbers end in 026 and 027, L and R.
Thank you Chris for thorough explanation! I know now exactly what is what! Do you have any suggestions for the rear windows ?
Can a relay addition for the back two windows be done with E28 motor upgrade for the front on the same car?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tony,

I’ve never added relays as I found that cleaning the tracks and the 73 motors and/or e28 motors work fine. I’ve never dealt with the rear windows, mine are glacial, I’m just not exicted about getting them out and cleaned. E28 motors also work in the rear.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm just have to wonder what would we do without Chris and his vast knowledge?
Amazing how he can answer all the questions thrown his way.
Koopman

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not me! I've owned 50 or more cars and never changed the oil myself. I can usually figure out what's wrong but not able to repair it myself.

jmackro

Reaction score
Jmackro, Thank you !! This link is much better than the other one I was reffed to while back. This one does it without cutting the portion of the door inner shell by using spacers! Not sure however if the adjusting (tilt) mobility for the Window regulator is limited with this method.

Let us know how using the spacers to tilt the motors works for you. I thought the spacer idea was klugey; when I installed my e28 motors, I just bolted them in and relieved the door panels as needed. The amount of trimming was minor. In my mind, gears need to mesh in the planes they were designed for; tilting the drive gear relative to the driven gear, without using beveled gears, is sacrilege.

One way to reduce (though not eliminate) the amount of trimming needed: unscrew the e28 motor from its gearbox by removing the two slotted-head screws. Rotate the motor 180 degrees so the two wires exit the motor on the bottom, instead of the top, as shown in the photo below. Re-install the two screws. This will require less cutting to provide clearance for the wire exit thingy.

IMG_0228-large.jpg

Last edited:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, Here's an idea that out in left field.

First of all, just to get everyone in the same place.
Window speeds can be improved by:

Cleaning and regressing the tracks,
Making sure the window isn't binding on the channels or rubber,
Installing relays to provide power directly from the fuse box rather than though the window switches,
Replacing the sardine can motors with motors from the E28 rear windows.

Since the last thing requires finding the motors, then some modification to the doors and mechanisms it may not be for everyone.

So, I was wondering if increasing the voltage to the sardine can motors would provide greater speed with little or no decrease in life.
Yes, a higher voltage will mean the motor will draw more power, which could burn out the brushes and possibly the wires, but it doesn't have to be a great increase and we certainly don't move our windows on a constant basis. I have a garage door opener that cautions that it shouldn't be operated more than 6 times an hour, so the respecting a yet to be determined duty cycle should give long enough life. I used to start a 6v VW Beetle with a 12V jump when needed and the starter lasted for many years.

How is this higher voltage to be supplied? Ah, thought you'd never ask. Modern electronics are almost magical. They make DC to DC voltage converters in almost any range you need. You can change from 12v to 15v, 18v or even 24v with a solid state module that's also waterproof.

It should be pretty easy to supply that higher voltage just to the motors if relays are used. Since the voltage the energize the relay will remain 12v from the switch, it may take a fancier relay that I had planned. DPDT instead of SPDT. Not a biggie in the end. They cost less than E28 motors, though I have yet to determine the amperage needed.

As these added electronics are added in the doors, they can be removed and the car returned to stock.

I don't have an extra sardine can motor I can test with, but I do have a front E28 motor with mechanism I can test with to see if this is even a possible thing. It would be a start.

Ian

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You know what guys, after reading what Chris said about 73 cars after Feb , having the new style of Motors , on the latest Ceylon 73 I bought in June I took all 4 regulators and spend hours completely degreasing and smoothing out the tracks whereas there was no drag whatsoever. Once installed back it was better but still rather slow . the Motors tested ok however. What I am gonna do next is changing the switches, or at least one of them to see if the old switches can cause not enough current go through them. That may do it.

Will let you know soon!

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wiring modification is a must imo. High current running through metres of 45 year old cabling and switches with corroded contacts and terminals will take its toll. I've got a voltage drop of almost 4 volts @ the motor on one of my motors.

I've got 4 motors on order with Al, with new wiring throughout and relays, and a general clean up of muck out of the regulators i'm hoping for a big improvement. Are the E28 motors rebuildable?