New Member From Tasmania, Australia

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello from down under Down Under.

I've been a BMW fan all my life having worked at the local dealership after school as a kid, the dealership was owned by the father of famous Australian touring car driver John Bowe.
Growing up our family always had BMW's, I still fondly remember picking up our new E30 318i coupe as a kid in 1989, a car I now own.

My heart has always been with the E9 though having seen one come in for a service at that dealership all those years back- don't ask me what happened to it as I've tried to find it to no avail.
Now I'm all grown up and have just purchased a 1972 RHD CS, it will take a little while to arrive - will post some pics later - but I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I'm sure I'll have a million questions as I commence the process of working on the car and look forward to members sage advice.

Regards

Wes

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the board, Wes.

I travelled through Tazzy and it is an amazing place. I totally loved it. Especially the Bay of Fires. Not at all where I would expect to see a coupe though... Good on ya!

There are plenty of members from Oz and im sure they will soon mention the Aussie Facebook group.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the board, Wes.

I travelled through Tazzy and it is an amazing place. I totally loved it. Especially the Bay of Fires. Not at all where I would expect to see a coupe though... Good on ya!

I'm sure our friends from Oz will soon mention the Aussie Facebook group.

We've got some cracking roads down here.
Can't wait to get out on them.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I remember one day after a long drive, we were so used to seeing upside down (ie dead) wombats along the road that all of a sudden my wife screamed "Oh LOOK! A live one!". She was so excited while me and the kids were laughing our asses off. We did stop and helped him off the road though.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I remember one day after a long drive, we were so used to seeing upside down (ie dead) wombats along the road that all of a sudden my wife screamed "Oh LOOK! A live one!". She was so excited while me and the kids were laughing our asses off. We did stop and helped him off the road though.

We really are blessed with the number and quality of wildlife here, although not all locals agree.
I'm quite often on the east coast for work, would have to be one of my favourite bits of the island - how good are those beaches..

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Wes. Not sure of your level of knowledge, but I recommend Rob Siegel's "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic" for its discussion of making an old car reliable. Rob provides a methodical approach to revamping the systems most likely to cause trouble on an old car, and I've followed his advice on several cars. And Rob is an e9 guy, so you would be helping to support one of our own.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Wes. Not sure of your level of knowledge, but I recommend Rob Siegel's "Memoirs of a Hack Mechanic" for its discussion of making an old car reliable. Rob provides a methodical approach to revamping the systems most likely to cause trouble on an old car, and I've followed his advice on several cars. And Rob is an e9 guy, so you would be helping to support one of our own.

Thanks for the heads up on the book.
I'm not bad on general mechanics and E30s but the E9 will be a new one on me.
Is it available on ebay or Amazon, or via the forum?

Boobouna

Reaction score
Hello from down under Down Under.

I've been a BMW fan all my life having worked at the local dealership after school as a kid, the dealership was owned by the father of famous Australian touring car driver John Bowe.
Growing up our family always had BMW's, I still fondly remember picking up our new E30 318i coupe as a kid in 1989, a car I now own.

My heart has always been with the E9 though having seen one come in for a service at that dealership all those years back- don't ask me what happened to it as I've tried to find it to no avail.
Now I'm all grown up and have just purchased a 1972 RHD CS, it will take a little while to arrive - will post some pics later - but I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I'm sure I'll have a million questions as I commence the process of working on the car and look forward to members sage advice.

Regards

Wes

Welcome Wes and congrats. Any details you can give us on the car? Is it Australian delivered, colour, manual/auto. Private sale/advertised/auction?
Please add yourself to the bmw e9 register Australia on Facebook if not already added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Wes and congrats. Any details you can give us on the car? Is it Australian delivered, colour, manual/auto. Private sale/advertised/auction?
Please add yourself to the bmw e9 register Australia on Facebook if not already added.

It's a UK delivered 3.0 CS Automatic VIN 2231367 was manufactured on October 23rd, 1972 and delivered on October 24th, 1972 to the UK. The original colour was Ceylon metallic, paint code 008. It's since been converted to Polaris Silver and a five speed manual.
I bought it from a well known classic car dealer but haven't taken delivery yet.
I'm not on Facebook but happy to add it to any register.

W

Attachments

• IMG_1407_preview.jpeg
    IMG_1407_preview.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 301

Boobouna

Reaction score
It's a UK delivered 3.0 CS Automatic VIN 2231367 was manufactured on October 23rd, 1972 and delivered on October 24th, 1972 to the UK. The original colour was Ceylon metallic, paint code 008. It's since been converted to Polaris Silver and a five speed manual.
I bought it from a well known classic car dealer but haven't taken delivery yet.
I'm not on Facebook but happy to add it to any register.

W

The dealer you bought it off, Nick, started the Australian register on Facebook. I’m sure he will tell you about it.
Looking forward to seeing your work on the car in the future.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The dealer you bought it off, Nick, started the Australian register on Facebook. I’m sure he will tell you about it.
Looking forward to seeing your work on the car in the future.

Looking forward to getting it down here.
I don't know much of the previous ownership history yet but understand it's been in Aus for a while.
Apart from some paint issues the car appears to be in fairly good condition.
Looked at a couple Nick has had in the past but the timing wasn't quite right.