Spotless e3 72 bav

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Been on eBay several times. Other than driver door alignment and silver headlight grilles it’s a stunning e3.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
the bid is at around 15k, but reserve not met, and the is a classified ad for it with a price of 38,900 or best offer, so you could guess the reserve would be near that

jmackro

Reaction score
mark99 said:
the bid is at around 15k, but reserve not met, and the is a classified ad for it with a price of 38,900

It is a stunning car, and I can understand a reserve above $15K. But $38.9K for an e3? I'm skeptical.

I just went to http://www.motoexotica.com/inventory/listing/1972-bmw-bavaria-3-0-s/ to look at the classified ad mark99 refers to. The asking price is now "just" $36,500. Be interesting to see what they get.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think MotoExotica is here in Austin, TX I may swing by and have a look but I can say from my experience that I doubt they'll ever even get 15K for it. It's a base Bav, and although it's in good condition/great condition you could have a super bad a$$ one for allot less. That's approaching e9 territory in my OP but it's good to see people appreciating them even if they're dreaming.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Guys, I went and saw this one in person a couple of weeks ago here in St. Louis. I have a 73 Bavaria and am a huge fan of e3s and e9s and I was ready to drool over this one. It looks pretty darn nice but just didn't feel quite right to me. The paint seems very fresh. The whole car had a lipstick-on-a-pig feel to it to me, though it wasn't quite that bad because as you can see the interior, engine compartment, etc. is decent. I asked the guy what they were asking and he said "around 30." It strikes me as just a completely absurd price for what it is. I would have been much more interested in the car with the original patina rather than a fresh respray. I didn't bother driving it or even starting it. I browsed the other cars they have there, and while they have some interesting vehicles, many perhaps most of them felt to me like half-assed cosmetic restorations. I left feeling that people who bought from these guys from out of state would likely be disappointed when they received the vehicles.

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I've seen of few of their other cars on ebay and would tend to agree normally they are not standouts and a bit suspect. As for the e3, it's amazing the difference that seeing something in person makes. 30k seems crazy but nice to see even with the bids up to 15k that the value of the undervalued e3's is slowly creeping up.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I never understood the prices of the E3, very few people restoring them so number of nice examples is on the decline. Also driving one is a hoot and a pleasure. I had 2 people tailgate me the other day so the passenger could video the car. Perhaps the ugly duckling no more?

restart

Reaction score
I never understood the prices of the E3, very few people restoring them so number of nice examples is on the decline. Also driving one is a hoot and a pleasure. I had 2 people tailgate me the other day so the passenger could video the car. Perhaps the ugly duckling no more?
Those were cops

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sold again at Barrett Jackson in September 2017 for under $20K. I intended to bid but it got a little too high for me.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

I was just talking about this with a friend this week. My opinion is that they haven't been worth enough to justify the expense of maintaining and/or restoring. A brake master cylinder is three or four times what they are for a 2002, which sometimes is enough for someone to say, "It's too expensive to keep on the road and it's not special enough. I'm done". They have to become "more special" to have more interest in keeping them on the road, but by that time most of them are already gone.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Man...that is a sad thing to think about...it would be a real shame if the E3s never catch their stride in the market...a really great car and I like them so much more than mercedes of the same era....but, I'm also not a mercedes guy at all...:). I'll be making mine really nice and hopefully keeping many, many years!

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like to think more positive as i'm not convinced the maintenance costs are so excessive to the point that it would prevent a value increase. The more difficult thing in my mind is the fact that it's a sedan. Many people love it for that reason, because of how practical it can be and still a blast to drive but that's not enough to buck the sedan trend all together. While not e9 inflation... e3 values do seem to be slowly but surely creeping in the right direction.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You guys are all talking like "E3 sellers." I hope everyone looses interest in E3's and the prices come down considerably. Donor cars with tons of cheap spare parts....early Christmas presents for me. These are horrible cars, everybody sell cheap! ;)

Randolph Duke: Exactly why do you think the price of E3's is going to keep going down, William?

Billy Ray Valentine: Okay, E3 prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody is waiting for it to hit rock bottom, so they can buy low. Which means that the people who own the E3 BMW's are saying, "Hey, we're losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain't gonna f... my wife ain't gonna make love to me if I got no money!" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now, I can feel it.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Its the idiots that are liquidating their e3s to buy bitcoin. :D
When I hear waiters at the local Italian joint talking to me like they are Bitcoin experts and original owners of them yet still waiting tables in their 50's, you know there is some kind of bubble about ready to explode here. C-mon!

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
You guys are all talking like "E3 sellers." I hope everyone looses interest in E3's and the prices come down considerably. Donor cars with tons of cheap spare parts....early Christmas presents for me. These are horrible cars, everybody sell cheap! ;)

Randolph Duke: Exactly why do you think the price of E3's is going to keep going down, William?

Billy Ray Valentine: Okay, E3 prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody is waiting for it to hit rock bottom, so they can buy low. Which means that the people who own the E3 BMW's are saying, "Hey, we're losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain't gonna f... my wife ain't gonna make love to me if I got no money!" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now, I can feel it.

LOL! fantastic use of Trading Places! one of the greats....:)