Rear license plate mount (N. America)

jmackro

Reaction score
How should the rear license plate mount on a coupe? I am referring to US-Canada dimensioned plates.

My coupe has a single hole at the center of the chrome trim piece, and came with a 2-piece bracket that bolted to it. See the two pictures below. Is this bracket a factory part? If so, it isn't BMW's finest engineering achievement!

The bracket really doesn't fit, and with the plate just supported from one point, it tends to rattle. You can sort of see in the photo of the bracket where I bolted a couple of rubber "feet" to two of the arms to stabilize it against the body. That sort of helped, but it's far from perfect.

Has anyone come up with a better solution?

jmackro

Reaction score
How should the rear license plate mount on a coupe? I am referring to US-Canada dimensioned plates.

My coupe has a single hole at the center of the chrome trim piece, and came with a 2-piece bracket that bolted to it. See the two pictures below. Is this bracket a factory part? If so, it isn't BMW's finest engineering achievement!

The bracket really doesn't fit, and with the plate just supported from one point, it tends to rattle. You can sort of see in the photo of the bracket where I bolted a couple of rubber "feet" to two of the arms to stabilize it against the body. That sort of helped, but it's far from perfect.

Has anyone come up with a better solution?

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jay
The brackets don't bolt in the center. One mounts on each side of the of the license plate with center piece facing out. They mount to the car through the outer holes which have a red cap in your pictures.

Kurt

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jay
The brackets don't bolt in the center. One mounts on each side of the of the license plate with center piece facing out. They mount to the car through the outer holes which have a red cap in your pictures.

Kurt

jmackro

Reaction score
!

Kurt:

OK, I can see how that could work. Two questions:

- Wouldn't the "ears" be visible on either side of the license plate, where they attach to the two holes (that are covered by the red reflectors on my car) ?

- Why did BMW put the center hole in the chrome trim piece? Does a simple screw + nut go through there to retain the trim?

Thanks!

jmackro

Reaction score
!

Kurt:

OK, I can see how that could work. Two questions:

- Wouldn't the "ears" be visible on either side of the license plate, where they attach to the two holes (that are covered by the red reflectors on my car) ?

- Why did BMW put the center hole in the chrome trim piece? Does a simple screw + nut go through there to retain the trim?

Thanks!

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Re: !

jmackro said:

Thanks!

Exactly! The center bolt in conjunction with the 2 outer bolts that go through the licence braket secure the trim piece to the body. Also, the center hole was enlarged by a large margin.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Re: !

jmackro said:

Thanks!

Exactly! The center bolt in conjunction with the 2 outer bolts that go through the licence braket secure the trim piece to the body. Also, the center hole was enlarged by a large margin.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Correct rear license mounting on your 2800 CS

Jay--contact me for correct mounting--BLUMAX has correct method.

DO NOT USE THE SIDE HOLES YOU HAVE FITTED WITH REFLECTORS!!
That is incorrect!!

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Correct rear license mounting on your 2800 CS

Jay--contact me for correct mounting--BLUMAX has correct method.

DO NOT USE THE SIDE HOLES YOU HAVE FITTED WITH REFLECTORS!!
That is incorrect!!

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jay,
Yes the ears will stick out on beyond the US license plate. This is my understanding of how it mounts and matches what I've seen on other US cars. Not sure what the center hole is for other then mounting stability of the center trim piece. I don't know if there was a factory part for this but I've used a spacer to stand off the bracket from the trim to avoid it rubbing on the trim.

Murray,
Please share the secret mounting method with us if I'm incorrect

Thanks
-Kurt

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jay,
Yes the ears will stick out on beyond the US license plate. This is my understanding of how it mounts and matches what I've seen on other US cars. Not sure what the center hole is for other then mounting stability of the center trim piece. I don't know if there was a factory part for this but I've used a spacer to stand off the bracket from the trim to avoid it rubbing on the trim.

Murray,
Please share the secret mounting method with us if I'm incorrect

Thanks
-Kurt

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
The rigidity or "lack of" of the two T plate brackets or the comes from how the licence plate is attached to the brackets. By using 4 screws or bolts when fastening the plate to the T-brackets then bolted through the tail trim piece and body, this setup is as rigid and secured as can be.

Kurt's instructions on mounting the oem T-brackets are correct (at least on the 74 non US coupes) , any other methods are "jury rigged". Have used this method for years on my 2 CS coupes I've owned and have never experienced any problems.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
The rigidity or "lack of" of the two T plate brackets or the comes from how the licence plate is attached to the brackets. By using 4 screws or bolts when fastening the plate to the T-brackets then bolted through the tail trim piece and body, this setup is as rigid and secured as can be.

Kurt's instructions on mounting the oem T-brackets are correct (at least on the 74 non US coupes) , any other methods are "jury rigged". Have used this method for years on my 2 CS coupes I've owned and have never experienced any problems.

corsachili

Reaction score
Interesting how a topic as mundane as a license plate mount can spark such discussion. I also have my bracket mounted with the single ears sticking out either side of the license plate, and I used skateboard bushings which are "just proud of the rear trim piece" (that's for your UK folk) as standoffs. The diagram in RealOEM seems to indicate that this is not the proper way to mount the plate however, as they show the bracket being linked at the center like such:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3451&mospid=47807&btnr=51_3442&hg=51&fg=20

-tj in Los Gatos

corsachili

Reaction score
Interesting how a topic as mundane as a license plate mount can spark such discussion. I also have my bracket mounted with the single ears sticking out either side of the license plate, and I used skateboard bushings which are "just proud of the rear trim piece" (that's for your UK folk) as standoffs. The diagram in RealOEM seems to indicate that this is not the proper way to mount the plate however, as they show the bracket being linked at the center like such:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3451&mospid=47807&btnr=51_3442&hg=51&fg=20

-tj in Los Gatos

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Permit me to add--the method I have used--

doesn't use the homely bracket growing ears that is shown as an original part.

Rather it has a single bolt through the center of the trim piece--no "ugly ears" sticking out that quickly deteriorate and rust. It has s/s carriage bolts in the holes they are complimentary to the trim piece's brightwork--instead with the "original: part installation most have used common steel bolts to secure the plate mounting bracket--something of an after thought and poor design IMHO..
The setup on the BLUMAX is clean and secure, and the simple "T" design on which the flat top of the "T" serves as the mounting surface on which the plate is secured. It is buffered against rattles, has nothing visible that is a distraction from the fine appearance of the "booty" This set-up may have been fabricated here in the US when the car came onshore from its early months spent in Germany or possibly in Germany to accomodate a US size plate. Its original owner was a young Army Officer who took delivery at the factory in Munich.

It has been secure for over 37 years and I believe is a far cleaner installation than the "original parts" shown will ever deliver.

My last comment--I believe I noted that the reference indicated it was a correct CSL mounting bracket.

Guys--consider this fact--no CSL's were ever imported to the US by Hoffman Motors--So if that design was for a CSL it was to accomodate the much longer plate that is prevalent in countries where CSL's were sold. Perhaps that is tha reason it's a poor design solution for the shorter plates used throughout North America. It would not surpeise me that BMW didn't bother to design a special bracket for our smaller license plates as we accounted for just 12.5% of the total E-9 production and in those times the US had not so warmly embraced BMW's as they do today--just a thought.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Permit me to add--the method I have used--

doesn't use the homely bracket growing ears that is shown as an original part.

Rather it has a single bolt through the center of the trim piece--no "ugly ears" sticking out that quickly deteriorate and rust. It has s/s carriage bolts in the holes they are complimentary to the trim piece's brightwork--instead with the "original: part installation most have used common steel bolts to secure the plate mounting bracket--something of an after thought and poor design IMHO..
The setup on the BLUMAX is clean and secure, and the simple "T" design on which the flat top of the "T" serves as the mounting surface on which the plate is secured. It is buffered against rattles, has nothing visible that is a distraction from the fine appearance of the "booty" This set-up may have been fabricated here in the US when the car came onshore from its early months spent in Germany or possibly in Germany to accomodate a US size plate. Its original owner was a young Army Officer who took delivery at the factory in Munich.

It has been secure for over 37 years and I believe is a far cleaner installation than the "original parts" shown will ever deliver.

My last comment--I believe I noted that the reference indicated it was a correct CSL mounting bracket.

Guys--consider this fact--no CSL's were ever imported to the US by Hoffman Motors--So if that design was for a CSL it was to accomodate the much longer plate that is prevalent in countries where CSL's were sold. Perhaps that is tha reason it's a poor design solution for the shorter plates used throughout North America. It would not surpeise me that BMW didn't bother to design a special bracket for our smaller license plates as we accounted for just 12.5% of the total E-9 production and in those times the US had not so warmly embraced BMW's as they do today--just a thought.