Rear license plate mount (N. America)

pamp

Reaction score
Plates

Strange,
On the '74 with DOT bumpers they used plate illumination lenses and mounting hardware from the 2002 parts bin. The rubber backing for the lenses are chamfered to accept the rounded ears of the plate hardware as shown. Certainly the pieces were joined in the center for storage and transportation. I would agree that the mounting system could be improved upon and made more elegant. Don't get me started...

pamp

Reaction score
Plates

Strange,
On the '74 with DOT bumpers they used plate illumination lenses and mounting hardware from the 2002 parts bin. The rubber backing for the lenses are chamfered to accept the rounded ears of the plate hardware as shown. Certainly the pieces were joined in the center for storage and transportation. I would agree that the mounting system could be improved upon and made more elegant. Don't get me started...

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, is the single center point mount shown in the first photo what you use on the blumax?

Not sure I understand what your mount looks like if not that....maybe a picture from the top would help illuminate.

I know I'll have to update this piece at some point and would like to do it right.

BTW, for you '73 vintage folks out there, I do recall my '73 had the '74 vintage mount with sidelights and while I left those for lack of bumper mounted lights, I did cut-down and re-drill the top of the steel mounts and lowered the height of the top of the plate to below the trim line top.

Looked much better, but only possible with 5 mph bumpers on the '73 as I believe that earlier bumper close-placement doesn't allow for clearance.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, is the single center point mount shown in the first photo what you use on the blumax?

Not sure I understand what your mount looks like if not that....maybe a picture from the top would help illuminate.

I know I'll have to update this piece at some point and would like to do it right.

BTW, for you '73 vintage folks out there, I do recall my '73 had the '74 vintage mount with sidelights and while I left those for lack of bumper mounted lights, I did cut-down and re-drill the top of the steel mounts and lowered the height of the top of the plate to below the trim line top.

Looked much better, but only possible with 5 mph bumpers on the '73 as I believe that earlier bumper close-placement doesn't allow for clearance.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ears sticking out or concealed, here is my setup. Looks pretty good in my view!
P1030736.jpg

I was fortunately to acquire 2 new chromed brackets, don't know whether they are oem or not. Most brackets that I've seen are cadium or zinc plated.

Anything can be improved upon, even factory designed parts. For something as simple as the plate brackets, why bother! If the single mount method is used, it will leave you with a new problem. How are you going to cover up the 2 outside holes or the exposed bolt heads?

Bert

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ears sticking out or concealed, here is my setup. Looks pretty good in my view!
P1030736.jpg

I was fortunately to acquire 2 new chromed brackets, don't know whether they are oem or not. Most brackets that I've seen are cadium or zinc plated.

Anything can be improved upon, even factory designed parts. For something as simple as the plate brackets, why bother! If the single mount method is used, it will leave you with a new problem. How are you going to cover up the 2 outside holes or the exposed bolt heads?

Bert

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Found the shot of the lowered plate on the 73.

Would look better with brass chrome trim, center plate mount and bumper lights, but for quick and dirty, I think it still helps the look of the rear end.

rearshot-vi.jpg

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Found the shot of the lowered plate on the 73.

Would look better with brass chrome trim, center plate mount and bumper lights, but for quick and dirty, I think it still helps the look of the rear end.

rearshot-vi.jpg

jmackro

Reaction score
I'm the person who started this thread - I certainly didn't expect it to become such a complex topic!

Here's what I have accomplished in the past week:

- While I understand that a US-sized plate can be mounted using the two outer holes in the rear trim panel, the masochist in me wants to use the center hole, so that the two "ears" won't show.

- Today I discovered that the center hole in the trim panel is NOT centered. It is a good 3/8" offset - which seems pretty odd. So, using the two "T" shaped pieces so that their "ears" overlap at the center (see photos from my first post), and putting a single bolt through the holes in the "ears" and through the center hole positions the plate off-center. Hmm, that's not good.

- I modified the plate bracket by attaching the two "T" pieces with a pair of pop rivets, and putting the mounting hole off-center to compensate for the location of the hole in the CS body (see photo above). Now I have my plate attached to the center hole, with no "ears" showing.

- I added two 1/4" thick nylon spacers and bumpers to the lower tabs on the "T" brackets. These sit against the bottom of the chrome trim panel, and keep the license plate assembly parallel to the body (see photo below)

I'm not sure the job is done, but I have made some progress.

jmackro

Reaction score
I'm the person who started this thread - I certainly didn't expect it to become such a complex topic!

Here's what I have accomplished in the past week:

- While I understand that a US-sized plate can be mounted using the two outer holes in the rear trim panel, the masochist in me wants to use the center hole, so that the two "ears" won't show.

- Today I discovered that the center hole in the trim panel is NOT centered. It is a good 3/8" offset - which seems pretty odd. So, using the two "T" shaped pieces so that their "ears" overlap at the center (see photos from my first post), and putting a single bolt through the holes in the "ears" and through the center hole positions the plate off-center. Hmm, that's not good.

- I modified the plate bracket by attaching the two "T" pieces with a pair of pop rivets, and putting the mounting hole off-center to compensate for the location of the hole in the CS body (see photo above). Now I have my plate attached to the center hole, with no "ears" showing.

- I added two 1/4" thick nylon spacers and bumpers to the lower tabs on the "T" brackets. These sit against the bottom of the chrome trim panel, and keep the license plate assembly parallel to the body (see photo below)

I'm not sure the job is done, but I have made some progress.