Look- Porsche Classic restoration and parts

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe BMW should pay attention to it's German Competitors.
I just ask BMW again about the Right side (headlight) grill 51131811484 and was told 5 more months.
It's been 5 years since I started this dialogue with BMW Classic and Manufacturing in Germany.

Just saw this today. I'm in Atlanta which is NA headquarters for both Porsche and Mercedes.

https://www.ajc.com/business/porsch...ration-parts-business/NccXZOJr6zOxRiXDE31XLI/

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Singer has a back order of over 100 cars. There are a lot of tuners and restoration shops but I suspect that Singer has caused Porsche to pay attention.

dbower

Reaction score
Gary: When I was at the BMWCCA Foundation earlier this week, Michael Mitchell showed me 2 new (old) standing display panels he had just inherited from the Spartanburg factory. Apparently they had been stuck in some storeroom for several years and the factory was getting ready to toss them when Michael grabbed them. They were pegboard promo items from back in the days of Mobile Tradition and they had a selection of the parts that MT was then reproducing. One board (of the 2) was just E9 parts -- and of course, it included new front grills. So they were having them made then. It also had chrome fender grills and some other tasty items. I told Michael he'd better hide it.

Don

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary: When I was at the BMWCCA Foundation earlier this week, Michael Mitchell showed me 2 new (old) standing display panels he had just inherited from the Spartanburg factory. Apparently they had been stuck in some storeroom for several years and the factory was getting ready to toss them when Michael grabbed them. They were pegboard promo items from back in the days of Mobile Tradition and they had a selection of the parts that MT was then reproducing. One board (of the 2) was just E9 parts -- and of course, it included new front grills. So they were having them made then. It also had chrome fender grills and some other tasty items. I told Michael he'd better hide it.

Don
Heck no, put them out for the public to see so maybe more owners will apply pressure for more parts to be manufactured.
Did you take the 2002 back to the Foundation?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Porsche indeed is lightyears a head of BMW when it comes to classic parts production and service.

That being said over 80% of all 911's produced are still alive and most of them today carry 6 figure price tag's.

What percentage of BMW's from the 50th 60th and 70th would still be alive and how many reached "classic" status with a matching price tag?

Porsche's model range, for decades , compared to BMW was also very limited. Making it easier to keep an overview of spare parts.

Philippe db

Reaction score
"Another initiative, which begins next month, will be the Porsche Classic Technical Certificate Program. Under this program, classic Porsche owners can pay $500 to have their cars run through a 63-point pass/fail inspection. The certificate will not only establish the current condition of the car but also will provide the owner with the original specifications for their Porsche model".

OMG, that is probably why they have some spare cash to invest in the initiative. Had my 3.2 going through this program last year and including the certificate and some presents it set me back €79.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Moving to OT...

That's fine Markos.
I thought about putting it there in the first place but so many are having problems with BMW and their parts that I thought it was interesting enough to be seen by more in the general section. So one complaint by someone who must not have read the story because it's nothing to do with being like a 911, it's about how Porsche supports it's classic car owners compared to the very little support we get from BMW.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's fine Markos.
I thought about putting it there in the first place but so many are having problems with BMW and their parts that I thought it was interesting enough to be seen by more in the general section. So one complaint by someone who must not have read the story because it's nothing to do with being like a 911, it's about how Porsche supports it's classic car owners compared to the very little support we get from BMW.

I agree - it’s relevant to e9’s and it is great that you took action on it. With that said OT isn’t a place for threads to die. I try to move/hide/fix things with fairness and consistency. You understanding and flexibility is commendable.