Craigslist BMW Finds:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bangle Butt
Ha ha - I had to look that up. Just learned something. That was right as I left the dealership back in 2000 - I guess I stopped paying attention for a handful of years, just long enough to be shielded from that detail.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
when the cop pulls you over for excessively exceeding the speed limit ... i can hear the thought now ... i'm just trying to outrun the ugly butt end of this car. can you lead me on ... quickly???

jmackro

Reaction score
While I don't find the "Bangle Butt" beautiful, I have to admit that it offends me less than it did a decade ago. I remember at that time Chris Bangle was quoted as saying some arrogant thing like: "true genius is never appreciated in its time - eventually you morons will recognize the brilliance of my design". I hate to admit that he was right; perhaps the "Bangle Butt" just looks good next to newer, worse designs (Lexus grilles for example).

07-lexus-lf-1-limitless-detroit-1.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While I don't find the "Bangle Butt" beautiful, I have to admit that it offends me less than it did a decade ago. I remember at that time Chris Bangle was quoted as saying some arrogant thing like: "true genius is never appreciated in its time - eventually you morons will recognize the brilliance of my design". I hate to admit that he was right; perhaps the "Bangle Butt" just looks good next to newer, worse designs (Lexus grilles for example).

07-lexus-lf-1-limitless-detroit-1.jpg
Hit the nail on the head - the lexus designs are hard (for me) to stomach. I don't imagine that "genius" will ever be appreciated. Add to that all new Lincolns.
mcconaughey_lincoln_640.jpg

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

That is an awesome quote!! I hope I can remember it long enough to use it the next time some dope argues with me! but now that i think of it didn't Dr. Evil say that exact same thing in Austin Powers??

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Unfortunately the automotive industry has no room for geniuses with design styles that everyone hates. As far as I know BMW or any other OEM isn't particularly interested in the 10yo used car market. It seems to me that the Hoffmeister kink went off without a hitch...

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
When the e34 came out, I thought it was stunning compared to the boxy e28 that it replaced. Then the e39 was introduced and I forgot all about the E34. When the E61 came out I was just happy that it wasn't as ugly as the 7 but was very disappointed in the design.

A lot of people, including myself, believe the e39 is one of the best looking sedans ever made. For sure, the touring is the best looking wagon ever!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
When the e34 came out, I thought it was stunning compared to the boxy e28 that it replaced. Then the e39 was introduced and I forgot all about the E34. When the E61 came out I was just happy that it wasn't as ugly as the 7 but was very disappointed in the design.

A lot of people, including myself, believe the e39 is one of the best looking sedans ever made. For sure, the touring is the best looking wagon ever!

I'm just going to post this 600HP LSX427 E39 touring here. I get a kick out of being a bad influence on you @vince :D

28769565645_f8335d375c_b.jpg

28550557692_a9840bcbe1_c.jpg

28525746415_2049969416_c.jpg

28525739075_b788e73273_c.jpg

28525738175_ced5929b46_c.jpg

28550557242_552e79776b_c.jpg

28525745145_577a1f7a01_c.jpg

28093868963_f9e10edf7b_c.jpg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since this thread has drifted to this topic... The Coupe started off as an "ugly duckling" who, only years later, has much appreciation; and nowhere near the love of the later e9.

I give you the "face only a mother could love"

Granada.jpg

Ed

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_1362.jpg
IMG_1392.jpg
IMG_1363.jpg
Unfortunately, no E39 tourings in our household now (we've had two). I did buy this e46 as a family driver. I bought it from the original owners, it was always garaged and has less than 100K. Black on black with every option including sport package but only a 323 non xi.

As far as e39s go, at least we still have one.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That last photo above reminds me of the ill-fated Duck Boats. But love the period interior, correct or not, and the rest of this little duckling.

This thread has brought back fond? memories of the 54 Mercury Station Wagon I learned to drive on. The last Ford product with REAL WOOD.
Followed by a 59 Ford Country Squire. With metal/wood?? Which I took to the local drag strip one Sunday morning and got whipped badly, of course, by a 54 Olds.

Ah, sweet bird of youth!