E30 325e Coupe?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Went for a drive to check out a tip of a vintage BMW coupe in a paddock about an hours drive from home but in the middle of nowhere.

Sadly not an E9, which I was told it was. It's a E30 325e coupe. Has a 5 speed and electric sunroof. Condition isn't bad but would need work. I know a bit about E30's on account ow owning two. But there doesn't seem to be much information about on this model.
I'm thinking this might actually be a rare car?

Thoughts?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Wes,

Never knew these cars existed until I saw a 528e on the last interclassic in Brussels imported from Japan.

Looked them up and found out that apparently these are castrated export versions. Don't know why they ever made them?

Here we only knew the 325i that developed a 170 HP from its 2494 cc engine. The "e" from its big 2693cc engine barely manages 129 HP. That is the same power our 320i's developed out of their small 1990cc 6 cylinder engines.

Dohn

Reaction score
The "e" stands for "eta", and it was a detuned version sold mostly in the U.S. during a surge in gas prices. Fuel economy was all-important; performance was not.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Phillipe, I assume that you meant FOUR-cylinder 1990cc engines...

Nope, the old 320 all were 6 cylinders over here.

Our 318's were 4 cylinders.

The E30 318is 4 cylinder with 136hp was more powerful then these strange "e" contraptions.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Indeed this is what made BMW iconic over here. No other maker offered such an engine. Still today a BMW for me only is worth the badge with a 6 in line under the hood. Call me old fashioned.:cool:

The e30's that I've owned were all 325i, but some friends had the 320i version, while the last "oomph" was missing, they were still pretty fun cars and had the right sound:)

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys.
I've actually got a restored 325e cabriolet but hadn't seen a hardtop coupe with the factory sports kit.
Had a hunt around over there and they seem quite unusual, perhaps it's just a RHD thing?