W&N Distributors offered VS 123 Ignition

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
W&N is offering distributors for M30 engines. Looks like it's for the FI cars.
$1535.00

You can buy this tuneable distributor from 123 Ignition. Looks almost identical to an original Bosch.

$490.00

Just saying..............

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
W&N is offering distributors for M30 engines. Looks like it's for the FI cars.
$1535.00

You can buy this tuneable distributor from 123 Ignition. Looks almost identical to an original Bosch.

$490.00

Just saying..............
Yes, I saw the W&N add this morning. I am not sure what one would get out of a $1,500 distibutor that you couldn't repair/rebuild on your original. Unless you don't have one at all. But the 123 set-up is, in my opinion, so much more accurate. Curious to learn others' thoughts.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe that @adawil2002 has had a lot of issues with the seal on his 123 distributor. Perhaps not enough to spend 3x more on a W&N one, but enough to keep a spare distributor in the wheel well. Andrew?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
....the price of originality. Don’t get me wrong, I’m in agreement with the 123 or others but, if you are paying multiple 6 digits for a E9 (Csl or not), the purists will not except modern alternatives.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$1535 for a distributer??? Now, that is dizzy...

Purists should rebuild your original for $100-$200 (or whatever is being charged these days)

Non-purist with a modified engine? The 123 offers tunability that you can't get anywhere except a modern engine management computer.

I am disappointed how Andrew's 123's have fared... I've run mine for 15,000 miles and no issues whatsoever.

I have a 123 for the 2000CS, but now that things are going back together, I may send my original Bosch unit to a friend with a Sun Machine and have him rebuild it.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The weakness of the 123 is the internal seal. I had to send my 123 on my Tii twice and Athena’s is being rebuilt now. Athena’s lasted for 30K miles. Vern’s only lasted 16K miles between rebuilds. My 123s have all been rebuilt or replaced under warranty.

Went back to Athena’s original with points and new trigger points, not thrilled with it yet it works. From my experience the points need to be reset/gapped every 5-6K miles.

Would not spend $1500 for a distributor. Much more cost effective to have the originals rebuilt and recurved.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The flaw is that the W&N units are not "original", though. If I am not mistaken, aren't they reproductions? I realize that if I apply this logic to other areas, by whole world falls apart. :D

Wladek

Reaction score
The flaw is that the W&N units are not "original", though. If I am not mistaken, aren't they reproductions? I realize that if I apply this logic to other areas, by whole world falls apart. :D
It's probably rebuild/refurbished genuine Bosch unit, like they do with alternators, calipers etc.

p.s. funny that for 1,5k you will not receive rubber oring:D