Need advise how to change tail light lens

drhodgie

Reaction score
Just bought a perfect tail light lens for my 3.0 1972. Only thing is I have to trade out the orange backup lens with my clear backup lens form my original assembly. Thanks
s-l640.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here's a little advice - practice on a not-so-good lens first. the good news is the reverse lens is the easiest to take out as it is rectangular and small
there are 2 basic ways - a dremel tool or a hot knife. you have to cut the lip off of the back side without damaging the rest of the lens. you also want to cut the lip off as smoothly as possible as it will show more in the clear lens if it is rough. you might also check with Stan to see if he has any back up light lenses ... since you only need the one lens he might have a single lens as from his manufacturer they are the same for both sides.

putting them in you use an adhesive like Fusion urethane adhesive - https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Fusio...id=1546730384&sr=8-4&keywords=fusion+adhesive

so here's the question, did you buy this one from coupeking? as that is the picture he uses ... or did you buy the one from Oz?

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
here's a little advice - practice on a not-so-good lens first. the good news is the reverse lens is the easiest to take out as it is rectangular and small
there are 2 basic ways - a dremel tool or a hot knife. you have to cut the lip off of the back side without damaging the rest of the lens. you also want to cut the lip off as smoothly as possible as it will show more in the clear lens if it is rough. you might also check with Stan to see if he has any back up light lenses ... since you only need the one lens he might have a single lens as from his manufacturer they are the same for both sides.

putting them in you use an adhesive like Fusion urethane adhesive - https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Fusio...id=1546730384&sr=8-4&keywords=fusion+adhesive

so here's the question, did you buy this one from coupeking? as that is the picture he uses ... or did you buy the one from Oz?

This is great advice. I used a Dremel tool on mine but I practiced on another lens first.