daily E9

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i'm wondering... if BMW made the exact copy of the E9 , let's assume they get the "new" M30 200HP engine pass emission tests , ABS and airbags. Nothing more fancy , a "new" E9. Price ? I think approx 30...40k .

Who would buy that as a daily ? :D

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm wondering... if BMW made the exact copy of the E9 , let's assume they get the "new" M30 200HP engine pass emission tests , ABS and airbags. Nothing more fancy , a "new" E9. Price ? I think approx 30...40k .

Based on the inferior, repro crap BMW is so graciously grinding out for us, they would only turn out more overpriced crap. Or they might go the route of Ford(the recent Thunderturd) or VW( the Beetle). Embarrassments one and all.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
nonono oneills, assuming they make a perfect copy for a reasonably price. ( let us dream in a perfect world)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would be too critical of the design. There's no way they could build an exact-ish replica for the U.S. market. Too many safety standards to comply with.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
hey guys, you don't answer the question.... now it's your supposed design/standards .... assume you don't see any difference !

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
hey guys, you don't answer the question.... now it's your supposed design/standards .... assume you don't see any difference !

That's easy for me. Can't afford it. :D I'm not into new cars. I don't know how else to say it. A family SUV for utility use, a truck for my hobbies and the rest have to be older and unique to keep my interest. I plan on making my '69 2800 a daily driver.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
a '69 2800 worth "daily" would be around the same price tag in the end , no ? Unless you have that car 20 years already….

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Low production (<1000)? Marketed as all-time great design re-born. I’d say $150,000. I wish that BMW would’ve built and produced an homage that was truer to the original than the CSL homage that was done a couple of years ago (it was nice, but I didn’t see a lot of the coupe in it) .

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
a '69 2800 worth "daily" would be around the same price tag in the end , no ? Unless you have that car 20 years already….

2800, not 2800cs. We'll see. On nice sunny days it's easy to be a daily driver, but when the rain and storms come and you need a nice defroster, wipers, etc...

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score

For that price I might consider it, perhaps when my kids finished school etc.
But it would miss that 'tinker' ability that as an E9 has. It is simple compared to modern cars; it's just steel, wood and basic functionality. You can see why parts are there and what they do.

However, and that's were most comments start from; BMW can never realistically produce such a car for that price: It needs to comply to current safety standards, so it needs to be fully re-engineered to manage for instance side impacts, roll overs & rear impacts. Just imagine a Ford F150 plowing into the side of an E9. It needs some serious engineering before the outcome of such a crash would be even near acceptable. For sure it'll be one hell of an technological exotic if ever done .

Then from pricing perspective, you'd have to factor in sales numbers; for 35.000 euro/dollar they would have to sell them in the numbers of a std 3-series (~500.000 /year/worldwide?). Are there enough people to take it just for its gorgeous looks? Now how special would it be then, if there are 2 in your street already?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
2800, not 2800cs. We'll see. On nice sunny days it's easy to be a daily driver, but when the rain and storms come and you need a nice defroster, wipers, etc...

If you want any tips on how to use an E3 as your daily driver just let me know. What did you do in '72?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
What did you do in '72?

'72 was easy, my mom drove me around. ;) I'm not really complaining about using and old car as a daily driver, I prefer it, but they're never as nice as newer cars that handle foggy windows, etc. They can, but that means I have to have everything working on the car. I've been known to put a towel in the car to use as a defroster!

Dohn

Reaction score
Parked your coupe next to a current 3-series lately? That's what safety standards and broadening backsides have done to cars in the past 50 years. Yes, the coupe is extraordinarily beautiful, but many of the things that make it so could pass neither current standards, nor buyer expectations. Love the delicate roof pillars, and the complete lack of a b-pillar? Try to get that past current rollover standards. Clamshell hood? Outlawed by tendency to guillotine drivers. Graceful tiered dash (airbag-free, as is lovely three-spoke metal and leather steering wheel). Light and narrow doors lacking crash structure or airbags? Think diving board bumpers are clunky? Try meeting todays standards for crush zones and pedestrian safety. Then add the electronic and comfort accessories that are now expected, such as ABS, stability and traction control, entertainment and nav systems, effective air conditioning and defrosting, heated and powered seats and bluetooth and radar cruise and, and, and...

Better to preserve and enjoy our cars for what they are, the high water mark for grace and beauty in a coupe, but also a product of the time in which they were built; a time to which we can never return.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Parked your coupe next to a current 3-series lately? That's what safety standards and broadening backsides have done to cars in the past 50 years. Yes, the coupe is extraordinarily beautiful, but many of the things that make it so could pass neither current standards, nor buyer expectations. Love the delicate roof pillars, and the complete lack of a b-pillar? Try to get that past current rollover standards. Clamshell hood? Outlawed by tendency to guillotine drivers. Graceful tiered dash (airbag-free, as is lovely three-spoke metal and leather steering wheel). Light and narrow doors lacking crash structure or airbags? Think diving board bumpers are clunky? Try meeting todays standards for crush zones and pedestrian safety. Then add the electronic and comfort accessories that are now expected, such as ABS, stability and traction control, entertainment and nav systems, effective air conditioning and defrosting, heated and powered seats and bluetooth and radar cruise and, and, and...

Better to preserve and enjoy our cars for what they are, the high water mark for grace and beauty in a coupe, but also a product of the time in which they were built; a time to which we can never return.
Well said, Dohn. Eloquent.