1970 2800CS ready to sell

mrobertbrown

Reaction score
Fellow Forum Members:
Although it has been the realization of a dream to own this car for the past nine years, the time has come for me to sell my little piece of history. Before I go public, I would like to see what interest exists among this group for the price offered. As always, your honest feedback is greatly appreciated.
The statistics:
  • 1970 2800 CS, SN 2270084. An early model of a series of 841 cars produced for the U.S. market, according to CS Zone. To the best of my knowledge, this has been a California car since day one.
  • 71,000 miles indicated.
  • Matching numbers (body, engine, transmission).
  • Stock 2.8-liter engine (top-end overhaul completed 2014, including valve guides, piston rings, timing chain, resurface cylinder head and replace clutch disc).
  • Stock 4-speed transmission.
  • After-market spin-on oil filter modification (original filter canister included with purchase).
  • Dual Webber carburetors w/ K&N air filters (original Zenith carbs and air cleaner included with purchase).
  • Pertronix electronic ignition.
  • All significant rust issues addressed by the replacement of both front fenders with factory new parts, grinding and sealing of all rust in fender wells and door sills. A small area of rust exists in the driver's side floor pan which can be easily addressed by the new owner (or by me for a small upcharge).
  • Totally repainted in 2014 to the original Tundra green (code 068).
  • Many mechanical refurbishments including new brakes, brake lines, starter, alternator, power brake booster, clutch & brake cylinders, drive shaft, radiator flush and new hoses & belts.
  • Bilstein shocks all around (2015).
  • Stainless steel exhaust (Coupe King, L.A., 2015).
  • Rechromed front and rear bumpers (Bumper Boyz, L.A., 2014).
  • Clean and complete interior carpets, door panels, wood trim, headliner and accessories. Center console and rear deck re-covered in black vinyl. Driver's seat rebuilt with new foam. Wood, three-spoke steering wheel with BMW emblem. Original steering wheel included with purchase.
  • Trunk liner reconditioned.
  • Interior is Saddle (vinyl) after-market. I can have the seats recovered in GAHH stock Saddle leather for a $6,000 upcharge, or you can purchase as is for the listed price.
The only known discrepancies in the car are the horn, a non-working clock and a heater valve that does not close completely. There is no radio. Otherwise, you will find this to be a fully functional, clean vehicle with all badges, emblems, trim and accessories. The repaint in 2014 identified that there was minor collision damage to the trunk area, which has been professionally corrected. As mentioned above, I can address the one rust area in the floor pan and upgrade the interior for an additional fee, otherwise, if you wish to purchase as-is, I am offering the car for $43,000. The location is Santa Barbara, CA. Feel free to message me with questions. I have many pictures of the current state, as well as photos and receipts to document the work performed.

IMG_4582.jpg IMG_4501.jpg IMG_4508.jpg IMG_4514.jpg IMG_4516.jpg IMG_4524.jpg IMG_4533.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4552.jpg
    IMG_4552.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_4556.jpg
    IMG_4556.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_4557.jpg
    IMG_4557.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_4559.jpg
    IMG_4559.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_4560.jpg
    IMG_4560.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_4576.jpg
    IMG_4576.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_4496.jpg
    IMG_4496.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_4503.jpg
    IMG_4503.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_4513.jpg
    IMG_4513.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_4569.jpg
    IMG_4569.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 543

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Totally worth it IMO, anyone looking for a solid honest (from what I can see) car would be foolish not to purchase this beauty- love the color!!. I give it less than a week at that price :)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Totally worth it IMO, anyone looking for a solid honest (from what I can see) car would be foolish not to purchase this beauty- love the color!!. I give it less than a week at that price :)
Peter, probably gone by now. If I was in the market I would be transferring the cash out of my Panama bank account into his.

Oh that I had a Panamanian or Swiss or... account to buy a beauty like this.
Steve

tightbox

Reaction score
Wow, this looks like a wonderful place to start for a high level driver++ condition coupe.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ha ha, so Mr Robert, I could not resist; as I mentioned above- your car is awesome and you were accurate with the issues and overly fair in your pricing , in fact it is such a nice car that I had to go back and look at the pictures so I could nit-pick about something- I just wouldn't want our site to lose its reputation!
Also, I could be wrong on many of these points so feel free to defend yourself and/or have others chip in- I think I'm so smart :)
Here goes;
No cover on wiper motor
Missing heat shield between exhaust and spark plugs
Right next to the wiper motor is a round barrel that the hood release cable comes out of. The little round dot is painted green, it should be black like the plastic plug.
The rocker covers should be black (me thinks)
The trunk is missing the bumpers to adjust closed height.
The trunk torsion bar plastic cap things should be grey (I think)
Not sure why the front windows are manual and the rears electric (this may not be a deduction- I'm just unfamiliar with that set up)
I think the wiper arms are supposed to be chrome or stainless
Of course the air filter covers
The tool box is cracked by one of the screw holes
Looks like some slight lifting of the left side trunk seam in one of the pictures
It’s missing the rubber gasket on the windshield wiper cover plate

Total deduction: $25.00

Cheers!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a couple of answers to those concerns that raise the deduction from $25 up to $20.

The wiper motor shouldn’t have a cover in 1970. They didn’t start until the mid/late 70’s.

All manual front windows were accompanied by power or fixed rear windows.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stunning car and a credit to you. Are you replacing it with anything in particular?
Paint too shiny, dirt shows too easily. $10 deduction.
Wow, Peter. Spoken in a deep Texas drawl, lips barely moving, "That's a might scary list of deal breakers Pardener" . It probably took more time to find those killer problems and work up your list than it will be to fix most of them.

And right on about the total "Deduction."

Markos, am I missing a joke? Shouldn't it be lower the deduction, $25.00, down to $20.00? Am I confused, as usual?

Steve

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, am I missing a joke? Shouldn't it be lower the deduction, $25.00, down to $20.00? Am I confused, as usual?
He's a database guy so they all think kinda weird. Raise a deduction, lower a raised value, then multiple the negative and divide by negative half.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
He's a database guy so they all think kinda weird. Raise a deduction, lower a raised value, then multiple the negative and divide by negative half.

Ha! I meant lower. :D I’m all tapped out on math today, and database math generally isn’t very hard.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ha! I meant lower. :D I’m all tapped out on math today, and database math generally isn’t very hard.
Oh, you mean like give the middle class a tax cut, "adjust withholding" and get all of their tax cut and more back.

Okay, okay, I surrender. But the post is about "Deductions" in a peripheral way. I'll shut up.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a couple of answers to those concerns that raise the deduction from $25 up to $20.

The wiper motor shouldn’t have a cover in 1970. They didn’t start until the mid/late 70’s.

All manual front windows were accompanied by power or fixed rear windows.
From what I have gathered Fixed rear windows only for 2.5cs for European models. All us models had electric rear or all 4 electric !
Someone please correct me if I am wrong !

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
How about a lightweight c
From what I have gathered Fixed rear windows only for 2.5cs for European models. All us models had electric rear or all 4 electric !
Someone please correct me if I am wrong !

Other coupes had fixed rear windows but I'll let you guess which coupes. :D We have hijacked this FS thread enough as it is.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unless the rear windows are fixed, lightweight CSL with Perspex, or the 2.5CS, they had to be electric, no room for a window crank. Manual front windows were standard, Hoffman ordered them with electric front windows for the US but many early US 2800CS had manual front windows.