Vent window refurb...

damienh

Reaction score
Hi all, I can't find anywhere info on how to dismantle the vent window. I have two sets, one with good glass, and one with good chrome. Need to swap and replace any seals while I'm at it.

They've been removed from the car, but I can't work out how to remove the glass.

Also, what is the glass mounted in the frame with ? is it sealant or is there another rubber seal that I need to buy ?

Thanks in advance.

damienh

Reaction score
Thanks Keshav, this is what I've gathered. I guess it will become clear when I figure out how to dismantle.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you trying to remove the hinged metal framed glass from the vent window frame?
Turn the vent window about 90°, push down, while prying down just enough, with a non marring tool, on the upper hinge to release the pin attached to the window glass frame.

or

Are you trying to remove the actual vent window glass from the metal?
Have never tried.

Last edited:

damienh

Reaction score
...sorry that was probably confusing. I need to swap the glass out and fit new rubber seal, and new sealant around the glass I guess. So I'll need to remove the pivoting window first, (which I can't work out how to do) then extract the glass from its frame.

damienh

Reaction score
Ok that sounds suspiciously simple ! so it just pops out with a little gentle force it sounds. I'm sure dismantling the frame will be obvious.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Once off, there are two small screws on the actual trim that wraps around the glass. They are down at the button near the lower front corner.

Wladek

Reaction score
Once off, there are two small screws on the actual trim that wraps around the glass. They are down at the button near the lower front corner.
There are also two bolts on the top.
After all four bolts disassembly you will need to cut the seal on the edge with paper knife & gently pry chrome frame all along. Rubber is actually type of black sealing glue so it might be stucked.

p.s. If you will need - i can make some photo's, as i have frames outside prepared for re-chroming.

damienh

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I'll bear this in mind. So far from what I can see, the chrome on one of my sets is perfect, hopefully when I give it a clean and polish this will still be the case ! It's just a matter of putting the correct colour glass in.