E28 Parts

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Talked a guy out of sending 4 (maybe 5) E28s to crusher next week. 2 I can’t see much at all. 2 are marked as 84s (I’m checking vins to be sure) but both appear to have all rear window motors. (5th may be BS). Would these be the correct ones for the E9 swap? One I can’t see much of is a 533e. The other is one on the botttom of a pile. Also an auto E23.

Are there any other E9-exchangeable parts I should check for? If I can get to them, I’ll check for LSDs and obviously any 265s if any target years. Are there any unicorn parts E28 people look for that I could easily grab as a good citizen? I’ll post pics in a bit?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rear ends are not bolt-in. 1982 528e and 1985 535i have a G265. Most crossover parts are on the e12 platform.

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
C2B85A9F-60C9-4E7E-8BA9-112C55808FF4.jpeg
OK. Set me straight, again, please. I thought rear window motors were nearly bolt-on for late 73 & 74 E9s, but not the earlier? And only 82 & 85 E28s had 265/6? Either way, it sounds like it’s worth getting under the 84 to check.

Any ideas what this is?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 61196 OK. Set me straight, again, please. I thought rear window motors were nearly bolt-on for late 73 & 74 E9s, but not the earlier? And only 82 & 85 E28s had 265/6? Either way, it sounds like it’s worth getting under the 84 to check.

Any ideas what this is?

Sorry typo on my phone. 1985 535i. Don’t bother crawling under the 84. Correct that they are both overdrive. Also both electronic speedo. When I said rear end, I meant the diff. By saying that there wasn’t much crossover I wasn’t referring to the well noted window motor swap. I don’t know anything about compatibility though. I’m not there yet...

jmackro

Reaction score
Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry typo on my phone. 1985 535i. Don’t bother crawling under the 84. Correct that they are both overdrive. Also both electronic speedo. When I said rear end, I meant the diff. By saying that there wasn’t much crossover I wasn’t referring to the well noted window motor swap. I don’t know anything about compatibility though. I’m not there yet...

Got it. Thanks. We’ll see how many usable motors I can scavenge.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If any of them have the 9/82-9/84 center mount differential cover I am interested.

Will do. Was it on all for that period, manuals only, etc.? Anything other than bolts holding the cover on? I'll take a breaker bar and cut-off wheel, but it's almost a 1/2 mile back there, so let me know if anything else needed. We'll see what cars he ultimately untangles-went through English, Spanish, & Malay(?), so who knows. I think they'll flip the car if I ask.

I know one is a 1984 528e manual with a 9/84 date. One is a 1984 528e auto with a 7/84 date. Waiting to see what's left of this 533i.

upload_2019-3-11_11-44-57.png

Bearmw

Reaction score
The diff cover I am looking for should measure about 220 mm tall. There is an even earlier one that is about 240 mm.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey, if there's a 265 under those, even electronic speedo, they're worth something.

Not hard to convert to mechanical. Or convert speedo to electronic/GPS.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey, if there's a 265 under those, even electronic speedo, they're worth something.
Not hard to convert to mechanical. Or convert speedo to electronic/GPS.

I'll definitely look, but it appears unlikely. Weather has to clear. Many cheap window motors are my main target. If I can get a couple that work, I'll have done better than the ones I've purchased.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
H4 H1 headlights? I doubt.
Taillights that don't have cracked lenses.
Fog lights under front bumper with good lenses.
Any euro style bumpers.
Calipers are ok to get. Especially fronts.
Idle control valves if a 535i or similar. Underneath the intake unfortunately.
Valve covers are sometimes nice.
Consoles between the seats. I think someone else mentioned that.
I may think of some more...........
Brackets for AC compressors. Help with E9 conversions to modern compressor.
Power steering pumps will work on an E9 with proper bracket. Get bracket too.
Engine fans are usually big ones and may be red or black.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
He sent everything to crusher except one 84 E28. Not completely surprised. He even crushed the e23, and it wasn’t even in the pile of death. Got rear window motors from e28, at least.

If any of them have the 9/82-9/84 center mount differential cover I am interested.

The survivor e28 definitely has a center mount cover with a build date of 9/84, but I ran out of time to pull it. It isn’t in an accessible place to be crushed soon & he said it would probably be months. We’ll see. I’ll go back in the next few weeks or send a picker because there are a few of other things I want. I sprayed the bolts, so that might help when I go back.

H4 H1 headlights? I doubt.
Taillights that don't have cracked lenses.
Fog lights under front bumper with good lenses.
Any euro style bumpers.
Calipers are ok to get. Especially fronts.
Idle control valves if a 535i or similar. Underneath the intake unfortunately.
Valve covers are sometimes nice.
Consoles between the seats. I think someone else mentioned that.
I may think of some more...........
Brackets for AC compressors. Help with E9 conversions to modern compressor.
Power steering pumps will work on an E9 with proper bracket. Get bracket too.
Engine fans are usually big ones and may be red or black.

Idle control valve is gone along w intake. Will try some of the others when I get a chance. About to start traveling for work.

Could you please see if that e23 has a 3 piece center console? Like this:

Sorry, if it was there, it’s now deceased. Should have gone earlier, but no time during the week.