Third brake light

TodB

Reaction score
There are some fellows over on the 2002faq board who have created very nice third brake lights custom printed for the back window. Looks and fits great. They would like to branch out and do something similar for coupes. Is there anyone in the Kansas City area that they could contact to do some quick on site measurements?

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI, I made over 300 'Stealth 3rd Brake Lights" using LED 12" strip a fixed inside the top rear window. I no longer make them as the parts supplier I was using went out of business and demand for these brake lights went to zero.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought one of the LED 3rd brake lights from Hal Boyles on the 2002FAQ. There is a long thread about it on the site forum. He asked me to see the difference in the back window angle between the 2002 and the Coupe. I gave him the info a few weeks ago and he is getting a prototype made for me to fit into the Coupe. The 2002 3D printed light is very high quality and fits up in the top center of the back window with wiring tucked behind the rubber seal leading down into the trunk where it can be attached to the brake wiring. I'll report more when I get the prototype.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew's strip design is better imho, it's completely hidden until it comes on, no aftermarket looking box obstructing the rear window

MyPe0rXbwQjNCOmfKPBLFX65r7jp9QA-ogK6ms3yxnzFcjlneetvJ0UMvWDoMznYXPEMxlNGDLmiadNHAYmxKN2r9iEwaJv7Px26IfTO9F3hKU5gXPCSBKvRp1e1OuJyXF4NViZdk0VcCvgNTjY7ijIgGlVtnPLV5VRALrTp0h4yRQiV9-Ht_4760Zxn6kTU0Ns4lEnHCyy5UhXO19d1N9Q5eGSdS-zbaXDa9QqiR7KXIETUodjeLf0ZNGa3zvE6ymYTD6ci7Xb73huM2GOFIU1gvB2xoIMCNU42UKFlbvQ6FxVh1RGiq3uqg2TEG0y9GubLaewxG41Zw-vd4piwTX-IMWQa1NYaADRnbXt2HyHKDw7pWkvLxex_YzUtqDdSxwLEjJLJB_bA2IBbVpsCncHL3WcTi36iNlGHMxc4xcCAj5G2vO2v964KGb5Kj311HerjQ-wzgEMB3yYxqBUju5xbUpnxPG9XxEaNSZ1gVieCezvlKDzOL7_uXTAX0BC0vi44qC4g-Anav5LibGv9YQQoVbtVW7Vmc-foAV4FHIBv0eJ0bQKEV4OTJXFaFbhqgVwuoqqqm_GO7TgEZBaUjaBdLO0VJF0Y6qIahlchWBmNW6qxJnhZDeJjpgfsVIB64BSiLHFThbPde29G8wKmz4pBdIHj3lk=w952-h635-no

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's how to make one, these "Stealth 3rd Brake Light" directions are for BMW E9s and 2002s, so your measurements for extension wires may differ.

Here's how to make one and install it.
The 3rd brake light is an LED strip 1 foot long Alpena 180°red with 60 inches of additional red & black wire soldered with heat shrink insulation at the joints. Then red & black alligator clips soldered to the wire ends. Then put little pieced of electrical tape around the wires to hold them together. It attaches to the upper center of the rear window seal with the wires run under the lip of the seal to a hole under the parcel shelf. Then under the white fender welting, under the gas tank trunk board to the brake light tab and ground on the passenger side tail light.

Need a soldering iron, flux, solder, Alpena LED, extension wires, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape and alligator clips or tap into brake light circuit and ground.

Alpena lights are available at Advance Auto Parts or on ebay. 180s, have white logos and cut lines which I color out with Industrial Grade Sharpie

I used to buy the extension wire, heat shrink tubing and alligator clips at Radio Shack.

If you have any questions I'm happy to answer.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Andrew's strip design is better imho, it's completely hidden until it comes on, no aftermarket looking box obstructing the rear window

MyPe0rXbwQjNCOmfKPBLFX65r7jp9QA-ogK6ms3yxnzFcjlneetvJ0UMvWDoMznYXPEMxlNGDLmiadNHAYmxKN2r9iEwaJv7Px26IfTO9F3hKU5gXPCSBKvRp1e1OuJyXF4NViZdk0VcCvgNTjY7ijIgGlVtnPLV5VRALrTp0h4yRQiV9-Ht_4760Zxn6kTU0Ns4lEnHCyy5UhXO19d1N9Q5eGSdS-zbaXDa9QqiR7KXIETUodjeLf0ZNGa3zvE6ymYTD6ci7Xb73huM2GOFIU1gvB2xoIMCNU42UKFlbvQ6FxVh1RGiq3uqg2TEG0y9GubLaewxG41Zw-vd4piwTX-IMWQa1NYaADRnbXt2HyHKDw7pWkvLxex_YzUtqDdSxwLEjJLJB_bA2IBbVpsCncHL3WcTi36iNlGHMxc4xcCAj5G2vO2v964KGb5Kj311HerjQ-wzgEMB3yYxqBUju5xbUpnxPG9XxEaNSZ1gVieCezvlKDzOL7_uXTAX0BC0vi44qC4g-Anav5LibGv9YQQoVbtVW7Vmc-foAV4FHIBv0eJ0bQKEV4OTJXFaFbhqgVwuoqqqm_GO7TgEZBaUjaBdLO0VJF0Y6qIahlchWBmNW6qxJnhZDeJjpgfsVIB64BSiLHFThbPde29G8wKmz4pBdIHj3lk=w952-h635-no
Plus 1. I love mine. Lights up the whole parcel shelf at night.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Here's how to make one, these "Stealth 3rd Brake Light" directions are for BMW E9s and 2002s, so your measurements for extension wires may differ.

Here's how to make one and install it.
The 3rd brake light is an LED strip 1 foot long Alpena 180°red with 60 inches of additional red & black wire soldered with heat shrink insulation at the joints. Then red & black alligator clips soldered to the wire ends. Then put little pieced of electrical tape around the wires to hold them together. It attaches to the upper center of the rear window seal with the wires run under the lip of the seal to a hole under the parcel shelf. Then under the white fender welting, under the gas tank trunk board to the brake light tab and ground on the passenger side tail light.

Need a soldering iron, flux, solder, Alpena LED, extension wires, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape and alligator clips or tap into brake light circuit and ground.

Alpena lights are available at Advance Auto Parts or on ebay. 180s, have white logos and cut lines which I color out with Industrial Grade Sharpie

I used to buy the extension wire, heat shrink tubing and alligator clips at Radio Shack.

If you have any questions I'm happy to answer.

Thanks Andrew, will give it a go .

TodB

Reaction score

I actually went this root first but in the end, it looked like I glued on LED strip on my window, which it was. The printed version is a little more professional looking, a bit brighter but it’s not as stealth as a quick mount strip. To each their own.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
with a non-sunroof car, the back of the headliner is different if i remember correctly. in the non-sunroof car the headliner isn't tight to the roof / back window. you can mount Andrew's light in that gap without gluing it to the window.

i also have a white LED light housing that can mount in that location.

Henrik

Reaction score
Just a tip:
Some years ago I bought one very similar to this (except for the stop sign)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-28-LED...-High-Mount-Stop-Lamp-Universal-/172829877432
When I opened it up the inside LED was a smaller bar that was easy to remove. Some double sided tape on each end of the bar made it easy to attach to the inside of the rear window, almost invisible from the outside.
Well worth a try for 5-6 USD. Unfortunately, I cannot show any pictures since I currently live far from my precious one.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes it fits and mounts up into the gap, doesn't touch the windshield at all. Can't see it unless you walk right up to it and look up in there.

TodB

Reaction score
I actually went this root first but in the end, it looked like I glued on LED strip on my window, which it was. The printed version is a little more professional looking, a bit brighter but it’s not as stealth as a quick mount strip. To each their own.
Just to be clear, I was referring to my 2002 with this comment.