Anyone accross N. America or Europe (or anywhere) know of another factory "Golf Yellow" BMW E3?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lost and still not Found - I am curious if any of you know of another owner of a factory Golf colored E3 BMW? If so, can you try and get their contact info for me? I have scoured the web for the last three (3) plus years. All I have come across is this one:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-bavaria-5/

I am fully aware of it's history being bought from a Copart in Seattle with a Salvage title etc. etc. then brought to the CA Bay area (yes it's the same one). I met the owner before it was sold to someone on BAT Sept. of 2018. I think it is still in the CA Bay Area after that BAT auction but not for sure.

I know of about five (5) Golf painted "race cars", none of which were original factory BMW Golf paint. All were painted over their original colors (that I know of). I called on all of them and spoke to the owners.

I know of one (1) 3.0Si E3 that is factory Golf paint in Germany at the BMW museum that is very nice. Not sure if still on display or what happened to it?

I saw one (1) on the internet about two years ago in Corona, CA in a junkyard basically that was too far gone, nobody wanted to take it on by the looks of how long it was for sale. Probably still rotting in that yard of junk, I went and looked at it. Total POS......

Please feel free to upload pics etc. and PM me if owner is willing to give me their contact info. I'd love to see if there is another one out there. So far I am striking out.

Oh, I guess it is in Chicago...funny, actually read the thread on BAT just now.

From the buyer on BAT - "Thanks, everyone. The wife and I (mainly her) are into old BMWs. This will join a Sahara 2002, a black M30-swapped E30, a Euro-look E28 and an assortment of other old Bavarians in our garage.

Now, we just need to plan that road trip from the Bay Area, up to Seattle to take any extra parts on offer and back to Chicago. Easy, right?" -Bionic Phil

I hope Bionic Phil is at least feeding some of those "old Bavarians" some beer in his garage. Phil....Ping....are you on here?

Thanks....GB

Last edited:

CSBM5

Reaction score
You can tag his username in the comment section of the BaT auction and point him to this thread.

Until modern times, I would have never guessed that a Golf Bavaria was actually produced! Seriously cool car.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can tag his username in the comment section of the BaT auction and point him to this thread.

Until modern times, I would have never guessed that a Golf Bavaria was actually produced! Seriously cool car.
Buddy has a tii Golf, a respray over the original Golf in the original color. Lovely. Is that sentence confusing?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Legends of the Autobahn from Monterey Weekend in 2016

Monterey 243.JPG

Monterey 250.JPG

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Thank you! Gotcha on the BaT advice, good idea.... but I am more curious of other owners other than him, I already know all about that car. But thanks I will do that. Curious who new owner is.

UPDATE: I tried to tag him but couldn't figure it out. I didn't see that option. The seller's name is George. I met him up at the 02 swap last year. George, if you are on here I lost your contact info, maybe you can PM me and get me in touch with BionicPhil. If you don't mind tagging him and sending him a link to this thread I'd appreciate it. Thanks! GB

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Buddy has a tii Golf, a respray over the original Golf in the original color. Lovely. Is that sentence confusing?
No, I know there are a lot more 2002 tii's in Golf, regular 2002's in Golf, and CSL's in GOLF factory paint. I am specifically looking for factory Golf E's other than mine of course and the one I pointed to on BaT. But thank you!

CSBM5

Reaction score
Thank you! Gotcha on the BaT advice, good idea.... but I am more curious of other owners other than him, I already know all about that car. But thanks I will do that. Curious who new owner is.

UPDATE: I tried to tag him but couldn't figure it out. I didn't see that option. The seller's name is George. I met him up at the 02 swap last year. George, if you are on here I lost your contact info, maybe you can PM me and get me in touch with BionicPhil. If you don't mind tagging him and sending him a link to this thread I'd appreciate it. Thanks! GB

No problem, just did it. In BaT, I select the username, copy it, and then type an @ and then paste in the name: @BionicPhil .

Regards,
Chuck

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Edit: This is all the same pick 'n pull car...

Are you familiar with this automatic from Portland, circa 2009? Correct me if I am wrong but the Seattle pick and pull car wasn't an auto. I'm guessing that the pick 'n pull car was originally an auto. More pics of it here, with the visible auto badge holes on the boot: http://seattlesparkedcars.blogspot.com/2014/01/1971-bmw-bavaria.html

Edit: Updating as I go, here is the blog that mentions the 265 conversion:
http://yurovsky.blogspot.com/2009/09/transmission-replacement-plan-of-attack.html

3762525379_6fe52ecf69_b.jpg

This is the pick and pull car
andrey_yurovsky2_b.jpg

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Same car as was sold on BaT. It was a slick top no A/C Automatic non-numbers match car with Salvage title due to Pic-N-Pull purchase. Nice story and very well documented. Still looking for a factory Golf paint E3 that is NOT that car or my car. Trust me I’ve been scouring internet and BMW car shows across country and Europe for last 3+ years. But keep em coming!!!!! So far only 2 known in North America.

revitoff1o

Reaction score
Hello -

We're the new owners of the Golf Bavaria on BaT. Car is now in the Chicago area. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to drive it much. The salvage title takes a bit of work to get titled here in Illinois. The road trip did not work out but George and Andrey have been great about answering questions. I did a bit of clean-up work on the car with wiring, removed the front seats and replaced with 135 manual sport seats we had laying around (they work remarkably good and are a little smaller then the 7 series seats that came out), and replaced all the bushing in the shifter since it was a little sloppy.

Being such a small vintage community, some friends were over picking up parts over the winter and BSing about cars, and our local BMW expert (Ben) knew the car and knows Andrey - small world. There is a Bavaria Ed Roth sticker that is peeling on the back of the car. I mentioned taking it off the car and got a lecture from my friends about leaving it on, something about the west coast Bavaria mafia. Someone will have to educate me...... anyone have a new sticker? (The peeling really bothers me.) Since we've had the car we've now become the local drop off for random E3 parts - I was warned this may happen.

Plan on doing some cosmetic work over time on it. (Anyone know were I can get a back seat?) But the car will be a weekend driver sharing time with some of the other vintage cars.

Veronica (husband is BionicPhil)

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello -

We're the new owners of the Golf Bavaria on BaT. Car is now in the Chicago area. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to drive it much. The salvage title takes a bit of work to get titled here in Illinois. The road trip did not work out but George and Andrey have been great about answering questions. I did a bit of clean-up work on the car with wiring, removed the front seats and replaced with 135 manual sport seats we had laying around (they work remarkably good and are a little smaller then the 7 series seats that came out), and replaced all the bushing in the shifter since it was a little sloppy.

Being such a small vintage community, some friends were over picking up parts over the winter and BSing about cars, and our local BMW expert (Ben) knew the car and knows Andrey - small world. There is a Bavaria Ed Roth sticker that is peeling on the back of the car. I mentioned taking it off the car and got a lecture from my friends about leaving it on, something about the west coast Bavaria mafia. Someone will have to educate me...... anyone have a new sticker? (The peeling really bothers me.) Since we've had the car we've now become the local drop off for random E3 parts - I was warned this may happen.

Plan on doing some cosmetic work over time on it. (Anyone know were I can get a back seat?) But the car will be a weekend driver sharing time with some of the other vintage cars.

Veronica (husband is BionicPhil)
Veronica - all that sounds great! Sounds like it is in good hands with some good caretakers. Love that you are really into it. I know Ben, he is the Zenith Carb master! He was the only one that could dial in my carburetors. You are lucky to have him. Don't tell him that though....It'll go to his head! :D I assume you are talking about Thongsai. Well, you got a rare bird indeed. Trying to find some others out there, so far no luck. I know there has got to be another one somewhere driving around. This is a great community with a plethora of knowledge. I'm sure somebody will chime in on the rear seat. First I heard of the Bavaria mafia myself. Interesting! Keep me posted on that. - Shane

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ha ha great pics. Anyone know where the Platinum Province is? Looks like South African if they are talking about Durban in the third pic. Pretty cool. Right hand drive and all. Never seen that center consule in my life! Click on the Facebook link for interior pic I am talking about. Love the name of the empty bottle on the passenger floor. Someone better TM that here in the States soon!

Looking more for North American Golf E3's and Owners, but still, keep them coming and thank you!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I knew that before i posted, but wasn't going to let it get passed over
I did say, "Or Anywhere" LOL....Always good to see some more driving the planet. So far no other takers for N. America. Still waiting. Not even any from Europe, like I said, I did see a very nice 3.0S in the BMW museum photo (not in person), but other than that, never see another one at shows etc. Other than the race cars which the owners I contacted say they were not original factory Golf paint. I have a feeling there must be a couple cruising around the country but only the two so far that I know of. Mine and the ex-Northwest now Chicago one pictured above. There may be a little green Marian driving one around Mars for all I know, they may dig the color....who knows?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here’s another one that sold in Bavaria......

A7549C61-CA29-4060-8D06-DB6EB1F4754F.jpeg

AD61CACE-0308-4D0E-8086-66E059099235.jpeg

EFBA580E-5F67-45E4-AA9E-86D0F3863529.jpeg

Last edited: