BMW 3.0csi at Copley Motor Cars

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I received an email from them today about this car. They had it for sale last fall and then loaned it out for a movie apparently. I looked at it closely last fall and drove it. It drove beautifully. Here's the trouble--there was a lot of surface rust underneath the front fenders. I stuck my skinny arm up there with my iphone running on video and was able to visualize the area. It's potentially a decent buy for say 50k, but it will need rust remediation. The good news is that it is an hour or so from Mario's VSR in New Hampshire who can fix it up for you. Caveat emptor.

Of course, the crazy thing is all these cars on BaT bringing good money with no video inspection of what is happening under the front fenders.

It has not made it on to their website at the moment, so no link yet, but it will appear.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hard to say w/o going over it w/a fine tooth comb.

Wouldn't be too hard to blast the inner fenders w/some dustless blasting, treat the surface rust, and then undercoat it all.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hard to say w/o going over it w/a fine tooth comb.

Wouldn't be too hard to blast the inner fenders w/some dustless blasting, treat the surface rust, and then undercoat it all.
I think the issue is the seams. Fenders need to come off in order to get the seams treated, IMO. I just bought another coupe recently, and the PO did basically as you describe, except he pulled both front fenders to expose everything. It was a long term SoCal car, but it still had surface rust under the fenders.
Again, few if any of these coupes on BaT have pics/video of the cavity under the front fender, which is very easy to obtain using an iphone and someone with skinny arms. Borescope is not even needed. Yet the BaT cars sell for big prices without this being done. Of course if the car has pics of a fresh resto like the blue one from Canada, then no need for these pics.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
You just bought another coupe? Start a new thread with pics!
It’s this one.
Very happy with it. Interior vinyl seats are dreadful, ill fitting hood and trunk lid, but this will be rectified.