trim on trim on trim

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
could someone post a few photos, description of the layers of trim on the front and rear door openings?
On the front, I assume that on the vinyl strip with the welt, the flat needs to be behind the end of the wood on the dash?
Then does the metal cover the edge of the wood?

DSC_2717.JPG

DSC_2713.JPG

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
THIS YOU HAVE IT RIGHT NO METAL OVER WOOD? OH THATS THE BACK ILL GO GET IT WHY IS THE INSIDE ALUMINUM NOT CONTINUOUS?
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Chris
I this photo, it looks like the vinyl piece (with the welt) is under the lower dash pad, and the aluminum piece is over the end of the upper dash pad
And the vinyl is over the aluminum part
Do I have that correct? how would one do that?

EECE14F9-C3C1-4934-80A6-8DE45F3B0050.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Chris
I this photo, it looks like the vinyl piece (with the welt) is under the lower dash pad, and the aluminum piece is over the end of the upper dash pad
And the vinyl is over the aluminum part
Do I have that correct? how would one do that?

View attachment 77817

Here is mine. Apologies in advance if you were eating breakfast. :D This is what drives one to buy a parts car just to get the dashboard....

CFE2EE5D-94B4-4B90-91E3-9EFAAB3755E8.jpeg

In the rear, the aluminum wraps tightly around the welt. The end of the welt fits into the upper aluminum. You can see that the aluminum bulges out a bit then tightened up. In my pic the aluminum almost looks black. Just strange lighting on dull aluminum.

C150569B-46F5-4107-BADE-BB7BC1DF9205.jpeg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks, that is helpful, I thought there was another C shaped piece of metal trim that went on the rear opening?

and it looks like on the rear, the rubber plug needs to go in before the large metal piece

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks, I worked on the lower rubber molding and vinyl welts and it makes sense now
but so many parts
I made a mistake, I put quite a bit of effort getting the ends of the dash wood close to the sheet metal, unfortunately there isn't room to get much of the vinyl behind there now

New question,
along the bottom, the rubber channel goes over the sheet metal seam
Along the upper portion, an aluminum trim covers the seam and the edge of the headliner
There is a molded rubber part right next to the dashboard that is part of the upper door weather stripping

So I assume this is the order of assembly, correct me if I am wrong, and a few photos would be great

First the trim goes over the headliner edge, then an aluminum C channel screws to the car then the upper weather stripping gets glued to that (?)

There must be a C channel, but I don't see it in the parts diagrams

Thanks