Today's what is this...

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Every coupe has/had two of these, left and right. Not a Walter Gropius study for the new Bauhaus library. Not a shift knob in the rough...

Attachments

• IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 231

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm. Based on the shape I'd say it wasn't a wheel chalk because you wouldn't need two angled options. Something to do with transportation, maybe wedged between the springs for some reason?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i believe that Keshav is correct. i drew the side armrests in autocad to rebuild mine. and the top piece looks very much like this

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very good Keshav!..and rsp! yes, the top back corner of the rear armrest...strangely complex for a corner block...the whole structure, and the foam are typically anal, I meant German... wonderfully over-engineered. I just de-assembled a rotten armest, and if you haven't seen one "naked", it's pretty interesting...

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ll give it you Dave for coming up with a tricky one though..... I was just lucky, took some pondering!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And whilst we are at it, our friend Christoph (whose pic I stole) is making these brand new armrests with the seat belt slide as found on the face lift cars (74 onwards). I remember having a real hard time finding them at all before he started.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if anybody is in need, i can publish a pdf of the autocad drawings for the reconstruction of these rear armrests ... well first i would need to get somebody (Stephen or Alan) to create the pdf from the autocad file. its really not hard to make these, especially if you have the bigger pieces of solid wood in decent shape as its usually the plywood that breaks. mine do not have the seat belt slide cutout, so the drawing file doesn't have that feature

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had considered trying to make a few (friend with a cnc router), but not sure what the market would bear..what is Christoph's site name? No reason to re-invent if his are reasonable..His parts look good, and even appears to have moulded foam.

Yes, Dan, clever Teuton packaging...

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think I am reading that this is a refurbished/restored original, which explains the foam. Nicely done. And thanks for the link to his site. If I consider making some, I would just do the wood parts, and let the end-use upholsterer do the rest...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Reusing the sculpted foam is important .. otherwise you are spending a lot of time getting the shape correct. you have to be careful removing it though.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
100 % agree...the one I de-constructed yesterday had rotten wood, but still had use a sharp knife to get the foam liberated...Once the cover (fell...) came off, I could see, as you say, that the foam was the only thing salvageable (other than the window switch).