Site Donor $
Reaction score
1587218538000.png
1587218538000.png

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
:D - Tanks for the memories...
A little tap on the rear and the Pinto turned into a living Ronson Cigarette lighter ad. I remember test driving one with a friend. When I said "floor it" he said, "It is!"

I always wondered about the location of the gas cap and filler neck on the Bavaria. Clever way to eliminate the gas cap from a rear fender. But, still....?

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
The crash event that exploded and killed the girls in the pinto that started the recall for ford pintos happened down the road from where I live. They went to the same high school as I.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing that ‘Pinto’ engines powered so many great 1.6 and 2 liter race cars over the decades.

I drove a Pinto a few times in high school. Under powered but it was still better than the bus or a bike. Then I got a ride in a BMW 3.0 sedan and it’s been one long waste of money on motors from Munich ever since.

gwittman

Reaction score
I had a 73 Pinto Wagon back then. It had the 2L engine with a four spd. It didn't have great power but that didn't keep me from driving it hard. My wife and I used to camp all over the country in it. I even tried to go off-road in it once in Death Valley. I realized very quick, it was too low for off-road.

I put Bilstein shocks on it and some grippy wide radial tires. I surprised many people on how well it would corner.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I owned a Pinto "explode about" in 1978
Leaked oil like crazy, I used the old drained from my E21 in it as it leaked so fast, why bother buying new oil.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I owned a Pinto "explode about" in 1978
Leaked oil like crazy, I used the old drained from my E21 in it as it leaked so fast, why bother buying new oil.
Stan, how creative. That one is new to me. But hey, you were way out in front of the recycling curve.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw this one while out shopping over the winter. Just took a picture of it knowing it would be a topic of discussion soon. I was surprised how big it is.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200123_144325.jpg
    MVIMG_20200123_144325.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 120

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a 73 Pinto Wagon back then. It had the 2L engine with a four spd. It didn't have great power but that didn't keep me from driving it hard. My wife and I used to camp all over the country in it. I even tried to go off-road in it once in Death Valley. I realized very quick, it was too low for off-road.

I put Bilstein shocks on it and some grippy wide radial tires. I surprised many people on how well it would corner.

I had a Pinto Wagon ('73 with faux wood paneling) though it was an auto trans. $300. The driver's seat lock was broken so it would slide all the way up when I got out and then all the way back when I got in. No problem, I wanted to drive with the seat all the way back anyway. it had several vacuum leaks which I cured and made it run much better. I sold it to a scrap yard about two years later when the starter refused to engage with the flywheel anymore. The nice things about the wagons, other than their greater storage is that the tanks were placed so yo wouldn't die a fiery death if rear ended.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a Pinto Wagon ('73 with faux wood paneling) though it was an auto trans. $300. The driver's seat lock was broken so it would slide all the way up when I got out and then all the way back when I got in. No problem, I wanted to drive with the seat all the way back anyway. it had several vacuum leaks which I cured and made it run much better. I sold it to a scrap yard about two years later when the starter refused to engage with the flywheel anymore. The nice things about the wagons, other than their greater storage is that the tanks were placed so yo wouldn't die a fiery death if rear ended.
I agree Jackro. Said the same thing myself. Cosmetic fix for the rust, paint it Fjord, or Polaris, or Taiga and you have one handsome little runabout.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess I was spoiled then, I had the "Sexy European", a Mercury Capri. Sadly, I did not know it would turn into some cult icon today. I have the window sticker in a frame, total cost with all the trimmings $3400.

Other cars I would put in the Pinto category ( not based on explosion-prone)................the AMC Pacer and the VW Thing. Imagine someone got paid to come up with the name "Thing". Surprised the Munsters didn't sue. YES the coffee is kicking in and I have flight of ideas.