19k Mile 4 speed 1972 Bavaria on ebay

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can someone explain how in 1974 car had 15,930 miles on the clock then in 1993 it has 15,440 miles?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks...

s-l1600.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd guess it had a speedo change somewhere between 1974 and 1993. Tough now to determine actual miles. The interior and engine compartment still indicates low miles, but it's probably not the "unicorn" as stated.

Still, a Bav in this shape that can't do mid teens tells us a lot about the market for these cars.

Simufly

Reaction score
Looking at the poorly shaped numbers in the 93 service, the last there numbers could be 990. A quickly written 4 can be mistaken for a nine and vice versa. So the mileage could be 15990.
Not sure the interior is leather, looks rather like BMW vinyl to me.
A nice car, with a bit of work could be a good find!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure the interior is leather, looks rather like BMW vinyl to me.
A nice car, with a bit of work could be a good find!

The question is, does the vinyl and horse hair sag because it is 40 years old, or because the car has 100K. Most seats don’t have any measurable wear after 20K miles. The same
goes for the floor mats. Do the pedal pads have any wear on them because they should be like-new.

No offense @Taylor Griffith. The car is very nice. I personally don’t see a measurable difference between 15K and 115K on these cars. However, with the body damage up front and questions on mileage, it may take a while to find the right buyer. I think it would make sense to swap and paint the fender. The color may not be perfect but it is less of an eyesore.

Alternatively, cut and buff this fender. I know
a transport guy who can get it down to you for a fair price. He goes from Vancouver WA to Socal 2x per week.

18373999-3808-4E90-BF9A-545314DADE63.jpeg

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The car looks relatively low miles to me...but maybe not 20k low.

The interior except for the sagging driver's seat that needs cleaning looks very nice. A no crack dash and original carpets are rare for a 48 year old car. The engine compartment still wears nice paint and all the original stickers.

s-l1600.jpg

It really needs a repaint, however. In addition to the front fender, the rear valence is crumpled. I'd guess the same for the front one which usually takes the brunt of "park by touch". The leading edge of the hood is sand blasted. Plus the seller alludes to various other scrapes, dings and garage rash. 15 year old tires...likely a few other areas need attention.

To me, the car is a very nice starting point to build a near excellent Bavaria. Hagerty shows an "Excellent" Bavaria at $17k. Near excellent might bring $14-15k. You'd have to buy this car for high single digits if you didn't want to be completely underwater with it. On the other hand, if you have always lusted after a Bavaria and a budget isn't an issue, this would certainly be a good contender.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Except in the same entry the author wrote 2 perfectly legible 9's.

Looking at the poorly shaped numbers in the 93 service, the last there numbers could be 990. A quickly written 4 can be mistaken for a nine and vice versa. So the mileage could be 15990.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just impression, the difference in vinyl stretch between driver and passenger side seats suggests the wear is not just material aging but use.
I have no idea if carburetors go bad by just sitting, or they could not tune the Zeniths so they put Webers, but carb replacement may be a hint of mileage. Not sure.

If mileage is important I am sure Gebhardt Motors has the car in its records.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just impression, the difference in vinyl stretch between driver and passenger side seats suggests the wear is not just material aging but use.

I agree @Arde. While the interior is lovely, I question if the vinyl would stretch that much at 20K. Given the durability of BMW interior materials I would think not. If the car does have 119K, it is a testament to the durability.

I won’t question the numbers anymore at this point. It’s a nice car and I don’t make much differentiation between the mileage other than bragging rights. It would be equally cool to have an e3 with 319K miles.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I moved the banter about tail panels to a new thread. This FS listing was hijacked by otherwise valuable stand-alone e3 knowledge. A dedicated thread in the e3 forum was created.

@HB Chris
@Dick Steinkamp
@JMinNJ
@CSBM5
@Sooner
@Bearmw
@bfeng