New member from the UK

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve recently joined the forum so wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I run the E3 Register for the BMW Car Club here in the UK, and have two late model 3.0Si (both L Jet). The first is a very late 1977 built car which I’ve owned for 8 years. It’s very unusual in that it was finished in Sierrabeige, which although common on E12s and E21s, wasn’t at all popular on E3s. I’ve fitted a 5 speed OD gearbox to the car, but other than that it’s pretty standard. The engine was replaced some time in the late 80s after the thermostat failed and cooked everything. I’m in touch with the original owner’s son, who has given me some incredible history on the car. This one needs a bodywork restoration as lots of panels are beginning to rust quite badly.

The second Si was built in October 1975, so was one of the first handful of L Jet cars. I’ve owned this car for about 4 years and it needs a total restoration having been sat in a barn for nearly 30 years. It is in my absolute favourite E3 colour, Arktisblau.

Some pics:

Attachments

• D38C28AA-EE15-4462-AF22-07A76B8A806F.jpeg
    D38C28AA-EE15-4462-AF22-07A76B8A806F.jpeg
    640.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 11883DE6-EB11-430E-92FC-F1AF8E1B1702.jpeg
    11883DE6-EB11-430E-92FC-F1AF8E1B1702.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 268
  • FF8B26D7-615F-4F61-A86A-F6D6B66E671C.jpeg
    FF8B26D7-615F-4F61-A86A-F6D6B66E671C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 257
  • 3B8B4852-24CF-4852-A188-E6889B0DBF8A.jpeg
    3B8B4852-24CF-4852-A188-E6889B0DBF8A.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 635E16B8-AC7A-414B-BB9A-2E25A28191D3.jpeg
    635E16B8-AC7A-414B-BB9A-2E25A28191D3.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 060E51BA-A8F3-4A0E-8714-3B159778E94F.jpeg
    060E51BA-A8F3-4A0E-8714-3B159778E94F.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 255

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome! I love the small bumpers and lack of side marker lights on the late European E3s. We weren't so lucky in the US. :(

MTYPE

Reaction score
Welcome to the Club!!
nice front grilled this is a BMW
We need to go back to the future

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Welcome! I love the small bumpers and lack of side marker lights on the late European E3s. We weren't so lucky in the US. :(
Hi Dick,

I think sadly the US cars were lumbered with some pretty unsightly stuff - the late model ‘diving board’ bumpers being a case in point :(

Interestingly enough, one of our club members has recently imported a ‘76 Si from California. It’s in great condition!

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Welcome, You have two great cars that go well together! Like peanut butter and chocolate. I really like Arktisblau. It almost looks good through that crazy rust too. ;) Fascinating, I don't think I've ever seen an e3 hood so eaten away. Water is the elixir of life and the measure of ones time. It knows no beginning and foresees no end.
Cheers
F

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Hi Fred, many thanks and I'm glad you like them. They certainly do contrast quite well. I'm with you on Arktisblau; it's a great colour and the first E3 I ever saw as a young boy was this colour, so it clearly made an impression!

So the story with my one is that the head gasket failed and it was pushed in to a barn and forgotten about. The tax ran out on 01 March 1986. It's actually a 2 owner car with just over 60k miles on the clock. The interior is in very good condition and the bodywork from the bulkhead back is actually pretty good. The obvious issue is the front end. As I understand it the doors to the barn weren't shut so 30 year worth of rain etc was blown in. I bought it in 2016 and saved it from the scrap man. My intent is to restore it and I've been gradually collecting parts over time. Still more to find!

My inspiration is the car below, which attended the E3 Limousinen Club of Germany's 50th anniversary celebration event at BMW Classic HQ in Munich. I love the look of this one:

Attachments

• IMG_3589.JPG
    IMG_3589.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

alprada70

http://www.oilsdesigngroup.com/
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Beautiful cars!!
I have a 3.0S Bavaria, 1973

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

E3_UK

Reaction score
Robin! I hadn't twigged either. Glad to see that RFH is still in good hands. I hope that you're well?
Fine thanks Tony. It was the reg number that eventually triggered the memory. RFH still being fettled as usual to keep it in good order, just fitted the new front discs that Dr.Brown bought in 1998, gradually working my way through his box of spares. At some point we should bring the cars together again, "cars reunited", I'm sure Marion would like to see that as well.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice cars! I wonder just how many E3s and E9s for that matter, are still sitting parked, hidden with some repair that was required in 1980 or thereabouts....and have been forgotten in a barn or garage somewhere. Stuff piled on it, barely recognizable., except for that vintage grille, ...hey, I have a photo similar to this image where I spied an Austin Healey 100S in a small garage in Cambridge in 1979. Still wish I had brought that home! Welcome Tony. :) Mike

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Tony! Seen your E3 at a few meets and shows. Think I have a few E3 parts laying around in the shed, most notably either one or a pair of NOS splashguards. Let me know if they're of use to you.

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Fine thanks Tony. It was the reg number that eventually triggered the memory. RFH still being fettled as usual to keep it in good order, just fitted the new front discs that Dr.Brown bought in 1998, gradually working my way through his box of spares. At some point we should bring the cars together again, "cars reunited", I'm sure Marion would like to see that as well.
That would be great. As you say, Marion would love to see them both together again I’m sure. Also, I think there were some 2500 parts in amongst the lot that I bought from her at the time. I’ll need to sort through them all at some point, but you can have them if you want them.

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Tony! Seen your E3 at a few meets and shows. Think I have a few E3 parts laying around in the shed, most notably either one or a pair of NOS splashguards. Let me know if they're of use to you.
Thanks! Have we met each other before? I think my car is difficult to miss due to the ‘marmite’ colour....

Always interested in E3 parts. It’s like a disease - I can’t say no.....

E3_UK

Reaction score
That would be great. As you say, Marion would love to see them both together again I’m sure. Also, I think there were some 2500 parts in amongst the lot that I bought from her at the time. I’ll need to sort through them all at some point, but you can have them if you want them.
That would be great Tony, i still have a few parts,that came with the car but anyrhing you don't need would be very welcome.
That would be great Tony, i still have a few parts,that came with the car but anything you don't need would be very welcome. Once the shows are back on I'll try to make a point of driving down so the cars can be reunited and it would be great to meet up with you

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! Have we met each other before? I think my car is difficult to miss due to the ‘marmite’ colour....

Always interested in E3 parts. It’s like a disease - I can’t say no.....

We've not met but I definitely have seen the car! May have been at sharknose meet at ace, i had the red mk1 golf gti with the e9 grille cable tied on. I'll dig out what I have and shoot you over a message

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
That would be great Tony, i still have a few parts,that came with the car but anyrhing you don't need would be very welcome.

That would be great Tony, i still have a few parts,that came with the car but anything you don't need would be very welcome. Once the shows are back on I'll try to make a point of driving down so the cars can be reunited and it would be great to meet up with you
It’ll be great!