Driveshaft ujoints

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know the dimensions of the ujoints???
Going to look for inside clip design for rebuild.
Tom

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Much easier for a driveline shop to rebuild and balance, $450 including new center bearing. The u-joints are staked I think, no circlip.

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
I've got couple spares, but the driveshaft shop knows their task better than us, I've done a few on Toyota truck, and BMW E10 1600 half shafts that have universals, believe the task is probably better suited to professionals. I guess it depends on where you are also, sometimes access to a driveshaft shop is not as easy for some people as it is for others. Not exactly the easiest thing to ship either.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps easiest is to order one new u joint to get your dimensions from. I'm not sure if there is enough flesh to mill a groove in the forks.
I've seen people weld in a copper coin as a retainer, but that doesn't cut it for me (non- original). But it does work quite well.

Should you want to do it yourself, then it is essential that both sides are true to each other. In other words that the centerlines of both sides are in perfect continuation, and not in parallel, to each other.

The u joint can be rebuilt but you do need quite a well stocked tool dept. I used a caliper and some precision ground steel blocks to measure how deep I should set the bearing cups on both sides.

They are indeed staked. It means that after carefull positioning, and measuring from both side that the joint is centered, you need to hammer a new edge / stake into them to retain the cups.

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
And there are four different driveshafts, 2800CS and CSA, 3.0CS/CSi/CSL and CSA
Is the 2800cs ZF manual driveshaft longer than 3.0 manual with 242? I've got a E12 driveshaft here, I will shorten it for my 265 swap later on, believe it needs to be shortened for use in E9 cars anyways correct?