Ebay feedback as a seller

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I sell lots of stuff on Ebay.

99% of the time, I will NOT give positive feedback to a buyer unless I get positive feedback first. Obvious reason is I could get a crappy feedback after giving the buyer positive. Happened to me ONCE (my only neg. feedback ever) about 10 years ago only because I sent it to the wrong address (was the address on ebay, but diff then on the paypal payment).

What do you guys do? Just curious.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rob,

when i bought a lot of stuff on ebay, i always posted positive feedback ... neutral feedback a few times ... and negative feedback only once. as a seller i have always done what you do ... its a wise approach. nothing worse than doing everything you can, then being damned by faint praise

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Right, as a buyer, I ALWAYS give positive feedback after I receive the item, no matter how small the purchase.

I've only given neg feedback when I don't ever get what I purchased.

Simufly

Reaction score
Difficult this one.
I do a lot on ebay; as a buyer I usually post positive if the item is good, particularly if it is an individual rather than a company.
As a seller I NEVER post F/B until I have received positive by the purchaser.
As Rob says, you can get burnt, as I did once along time ago.
One learns by one's mistakes.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think logic tells me to leave feedback as a Buyer as soon as you know the transaction is completely done. As a Seller, I don't consider the transaction done until the Buyer leaves feedback. Until they leave feedback they could still be having an issue or haven't opened the package yet or anything that might delay a finished transaction, so I would always wait until the Buyer leaves feedback. If they don't leave any I don't leave any either.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think logic tells me to leave feedback as a Buyer as soon as you know the transaction is completely done. As a Seller, I don't consider the transaction done until the Buyer leaves feedback. Until they leave feedback they could still be having an issue or haven't opened the package yet or anything that might delay a finished transaction, so I would always wait until the Buyer leaves feedback. If they don't leave any I don't leave any either.
Well said (written). This is my practice as well.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've only bought items on eBay. From Vern my 1973 2002Tii iMay 10th 2010 to license plate bumper lights for Athena, 236 items so far. 100% Positive Feedback. Only had one issue because the seller had an old email attached to their account.

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do more buying than selling and in all cases as a buyer I leave feedback after I have received the item. For the longest time as a seller I waited until I received feedback, and also noted that in my communications to the buyer when the item shipped, but will admit I am less careful about it now and really don’t look any longer.

day66

Reaction score
I sell a reasonable amount and leave feedback when I’ve been paid and the item is sent. As I see it, all the buyer has to do is pay me. No problems so far ... Having said that the whole feedback system was seriously devalued when it prohibited sellers from calling out bad (I.e. non paying) buyers.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
or the opposite......I purchased an item, never received. The seller informed Ebay that someone hacked his account and falsely lowered the item price. That does not mean you don't return my money and don't answer my emails. I wrote negative feedback. My feedback lasted 2 days and then Ebay took it down!. There were no curse words, accusations, political statements etc, just the truth.

BTW Ebay buyer protection has been worthless as well as Paypal. I had to go to Visa to get my money back but they probably dealt with insurance and the seller gets to keep my money.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
or the opposite......I purchased an item, never received. The seller informed Ebay that someone hacked his account and falsely lowered the item price. That does not mean you don't return my money and don't answer my emails. I wrote negative feedback. My feedback lasted 2 days and then Ebay took it down!. There were no curse words, accusations, political statements etc, just the truth.

BTW Ebay buyer protection has been worthless as well as Paypal. I had to go to Visa to get my money back but they probably dealt with insurance and the seller gets to keep my money.
This is rare. My work sells thousands of dollars of parts every day and the eBay process highly favors the buyer. No question. That sucks that it happened to you, I've never heard of it happening before.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Right, as a buyer, I ALWAYS give positive feedback after I receive the item, no matter how small the purchase.

I've only given neg feedback when I don't ever get what I purchased.

My approach is the same. In the 22 years I've used eBay, I've given 2 poor feedbacks - items never delivered (or shipped as far as I could tell). PayPal refunded payment both times.

Gary