GTV electric anyone?

m73

Reaction score
Some of the details are pretty nice and may give members with restorations a morale boost.

On one hand this seems like a cool car....on the other the 'Alfa' DNA may have been lost given the electric drive train. Interesting project IMHO.

121164984_10223045613625189_2621388567101574694_o.jpg
121159833_10223045613465185_7388384807192463846_o.jpg
121063630_10223045612665165_279854059121988440_o.jpg
121149256_10223045612025149_6942270850203217271_o.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
As a GTV owner going thru a nut and bolt restoration, I can’t say I’d make the same choices, but I respect and applaud the creativity in these sort of hot rod conversions.

I’d argue that the Alfa twin cam is as much or more important to the soul of an Alfa than the M30 to our E9’s.

It was way ahead of the any mass production engine when introduced in 1954. It was and still is a superior engine to any of BMW’s in line 4’s until the S14.

So, to replace it on a GTV ...a bit painful to see, but as I said, creative and adventurous.

m73

Reaction score
As a GTV owner going thru a nut and bolt restoration, I can’t say I’d make the same choices, but I respect and applaud the creativity in these sort of hot rod conversions.

I’d argue that the Alfa twin cam is as much or more important to the soul of an Alfa than the M30 to our E9’s.

It was way ahead of the any mass production engine when introduced in 1954. It was and still is a superior engine to any of BMW’s in line 4’s until the S14.

So, to replace it on a GTV ...a bit painful to see, but as I said, creative and adventurous.

I agree. With Alfa, best to leave it stock or pursue factory performance parts as an upgrade.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another Alfisto here, and I like the aesthetic choices made here, but I would prefer a hot 1750 twin cam, since I agree that the twin cam is the heart of Alfa. This car would look good in the circle of concept cars outside of the entrance to Pebble Beach.

Reactions: m73

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another Alfisto here, and I like the aesthetic choices made here, but I would prefer a hot 1750 twin cam, since I agree that the twin cam is the heart of Alfa. This car would look good in the circle of concept cars outside of the entrance to Pebble Beach.

You like the boobs atop the instrument panel? ? No one of the strong points IMHO.

The rest of the imterior is pretty good. I would’ve gone retro on the Seats. Maybe high backed but evocative of the Alfa flying buttress style (1969) with diamond stitching.

m73

Reaction score
You like the boobs atop the instrument panel? ? No one of the strong points IMHO.

The rest of the imterior is pretty good. I would’ve gone retro on the Seats. Maybe high backed but evocative of the Alfa flying buttress style (1969) with diamond stitching.

To me, there seemed to be just enough care taken in the construction to make this interesting. Would I choose the design choices here? No, but I can see the craftsmanship is a good starting point and with a little more attention this could be an even better built Alfa. The design leaves a lot to be desired but that is why we like this hobby -- individualism :)

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not really an alfa. New suspension, chassis, new innards, maybe switch gears by wire. I love the skin though. Love the 3d inspired mirror especially. Must be an absolute hoot to drive!

Dohn

Reaction score
I like the + and - on the gas and brake pedals. Lots of intricate design choices, kind of like a Singer. With the electric drive train it will sound like a Singer (sewing machine)...

jmackro

Reaction score
I'll concede that a lot of this car's craftsmanship is exceptional; no question a lot of time and money was spent. If the whole thing is built with a bespoke unibody - e.g., no real Alfa had to die in order to create it - I guess it would be OK. Sort of like a plastic Cobra or Wescott '32 Ford. But I believe that the carbon-fiber bodied Alfa GT's built by Alfaholics require an original donor unibody, with a valid VIN, in order to be imported into the US as a 1960's era car.

I’d argue that the Alfa twin cam is as much or more important to the soul of an Alfa than the M30 to our E9’s. It was way ahead of the any mass production engine when introduced in 1954. It was and still is a superior engine to any of BMW’s in line 4’s until the S14. So, to replace it on a GTV ...a bit painful to see, but as I said, creative and adventurous.

Very well put. Why own a vintage car if you're going to rip all the "vintage" out of it? Lots of 2020-era E-cars would be cheaper/faster/better than this perversion of an Alfa GT. And yes, I too own an Alfa GT and as you can guess, dislike these sort of conversions.

Exactly. It's that sort of modification that gives me fits. Sort of like some billionaire buying the Mona Lisa, hiring an artist to paint on breast enhancements, and then saying "hey, don't she look hotter now?" The Alfa GT was also drawn by a genius: Giorgetto Giugiaro. You don't mess with the work of a genius.

One design criticism: those round tail lights in the rectangular opening just look dumb. Giugiaro wouldn't have made a mistake like that.

bfeng said:
If you think electric GTV’s are controversial don’t read this story: electric Cobra

Calling that thing a "Cobra" is the height of stupid - an "electric AC Bristol" perhaps. A Cobra isn't a Cobra without a rip snorting, in-your-face engine. But a silent Cobra? Sort of like a chaste, tea-totaling James Bond - definitely not worthy of the name.

Last edited: