My idea for a wheel polisher

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I had this idea for a wheel polisher, that I will never build. Looking at the style 5 references from @dang, I figured I would put words on a page.

My idea is to use an old $50 washing machine, preferable one with a large drum. Use an inner tube to secure the tire to the drum.

I would use a table saw switch in lieu of all of the other electricals. You can smack the switch to cut power, pull up to start.

Advantages:
- Cheap and easy. Zero effort on the motor/power setup
- You can spin polish a 2 piece barrel with the face off
- You can wet sand the barrel without making a mess. All messes are contained

Disadvantages:
- May need to have a hubcentric way to balance the wheel, using spacers or the plastic agitator
- Large, but you can cut the drum and body down to be 12” tall.

That’s it. Just occurred to me after 5 years...

stphers

Reaction score
Funny, been thinking about this for quite awhile as well. I have several wheels that I would like to polish the outer rim. I have a spare 220 V motor from a compressor that I thought that I could rig up on the bench that would run a long belt to another stand that is mounted in bearings that would allow me to bolt different wheel patterns to it. My idea would be to mount them on the workbench so the wheel would be mounted in a vertical position Then, I could easily polish the wheel using different degrees of wet and dry emery cloth Started to think about this when the mobile guy in the area who did wheels for 50 bucks a piece stopped doing it and I have 5 sets of wheels that I want to do

Markos like your idea but I have no more room in my shop. My idea would be set up so I could take it down very easily when not in use

Thanks, Rick

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We would just like to have a c.2005 NOS washing machine that has a transmission, instead of the crappy new ones (that we just bought one of...the tech has been out three times..."the read-out says operating as designed"... ) that immediately sling the effing load off center and thus get the BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM....Only the Speed Queens' still have the tranny, and they're a little spendy. Hindsight is twenty-twenty. Too much play to make a good wheel "lathe"...My almost off-thread rant for the day...
Nice ideas tho, guys.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Too much play to make a good wheel "lathe"...My almost off-thread rant for the day...
Nice ideas tho, guys.

I think it is feasible that a traditional tub style washer would work, even though they have a lot of play. The pressure applied via sandpaper is very light. Maybe someday I'll give it a shot to see if it works. I do intend to have a set of three piece wheels for my car, but I'm done tinkering with wheels and steering wheels. :D

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Or you could jack up the rear of your car, put it in gear and let 'er rip! Wait, Mark, does it run? ;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Or you could jack up the rear of your car, put it in gear and let 'er rip! Wait, Mark, does it run? ;)

You can find this technique on youtube. :)

The point of the washer is that you can spin the barrel with the face removed.