Short Shift for Getrag 5 spead

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a supplier or if you can get a short shift kit for a Getrag 5 speed box.
Or has anyone fitted a short shift to their Getrag........would be interested in any info.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a UUC short shift on my 5 speed. It's been 10 years since I did the conversion, I don't remember any details except that I really like it. You can probably check their website for more information.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Vince........tell me before you did the conversion what was your driving experience like compared to after?
I have heaps of power in my engine but I feel it takes for ever to go up thru the gears unless I operate the lever quickly and then I don't feel relaxed driving the car.......if you know what I mean.:)

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine has a Z3 shift platform with a modified gear stick for a screw on shift knob. The Z3 gear shift rod was cut & the old one welded on.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I made one for my Bav out of a shift lever I got out of a newer BMW in the junkyard. I stripped it down to the bare rod, installed some new bushings, and made a shift knob from a Louisville Slugger. I also lengthened my connecting rod slightly to get the angle I wanted on the shifter.

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I too have th eUUC short shifter in my CS that has the 5 speed.
It was one of the first things I did about 17 years ago.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have the 320i lever Steve references in his link. I pulled these pictures off the net years ago when I was looking for a short shifter for my 540 6 speed. These do not include the shifters for our cars, but they indicate a way of thinking about the change:

shift levers m5.jpg
Shift Levers.jpg
Shift z42-5.jpg
Shift z43-0.jpg
Shifter e46323325.jpg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went el cheapo on my shifter and lenghtened the rod under the ball to make it a short shifter, then continued in the same spirit and welded up my own DSSR.
Thanks to @Stevehose and his thread already linked here, I ordered bronze bushings to replace the tired plastic/rubber bushings in the shifter + rod joint.

While they don't look like much:
Gearbox 9.jpg Gearbox 6.jpg Gearbox 10.jpg Gearbox 1.jpg

They're well hidden in the car, and works very well with little slop and crisp shifts:

The UUC route is definitely easier and more elegant, but shipping and taxes killed that option for me.

Henrik

Reaction score
I also use a Z3 gear shift rod. Used the threaded top of the old stick and bolted it on to the top of the Z3 stick. Works fine.
The Z3 stick is aluminum and the old stick is steel so welding was not possible in this case. I think this is the way to solve it without involving workshops with advanced tools. But you have to drill a hole in the new stick and make threads for the bolt.
I used a 8mm bolt so the head had to be grinded to allow the gear knob to enter, but you can use a bolt with Allen key head to avoid this. The bolt and threads was soaked in epoxy glue before I assembled it. It will never fall apart!

IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info gents.....in particular Steve.....I now have heaps to digest and do my homework. I gather from the general comments that short shift is all ++:)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Paul - I was going from an automatic to a 5 speed, not seeking a "short shifter." I do think it is possible to go too short (which is why I looked at several alternatives when doing my e39). If you have a chance to drive a few cars with alternative shifters, this helps a lot. Obviously, they don't all have to be coupes in order for you to get the idea.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Further questions to those who have short shifted.
Below is my current throw 90 mm from 1st gear to 2nd.......measured at top of console.........what would the numbers be on a short shift???
20210122_113557.jpg
20210122_113920.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I'd say mine is a "shorter shift" than stock, but not clickity click like a real short shift is.

Hi Paul - I was going from an automatic to a 5 speed, not seeking a "short shifter." I do think it is possible to go too short (which is why I looked at several alternatives when doing my e39). If you have a chance to drive a few cars with alternative shifters, this helps a lot. Obviously, they don't all have to be coupes in order for you to get the idea.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also have the UUC short shifter on my 5 speed with their DSSR. The shift lever had to be bent to allow the shifter knob to be easily reached when in 3rd and 5th gear. The original shift lever was also bent. There are previous threads about all of the levers that have been used. The key is the positive solid feel of the DSSR. Here are pics of the UUC DSSR and what was in my car when I bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_7897.JPG
    IMG_7897.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_7912.JPG
    IMG_7912.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 166

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

I have used shift kits from Autosolutions for a '71 2002 5 spd conversion and will be using one in my E3 5 spd conversion. Ron stuff is excellent quality with amazing tolerances and he is very nice to deal with.

No affiliations; I just like his stuff.

Regards,
Bill