media blasting, dipping, and coating advice

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m writing in hope of mining some experiences, opinions, and/or advice on the subject of completely stripping a chassis in preparation for metalwork. There’s really two topics I am researching.

Dipping versus media blasting – and coatings/rust preventative measures.

I’ve been looking into these basic technologies to strip and prep my car for chassis repair. And I’ve been surprised by a few details that makes me scratch my head a bit.

Media Blasting:

I’ve been speaking with a local company that specializes in stripping car restoration projects. They would use plastic media to limit heat in the panels, especially the larger panels like the hood, roof and deck lid. They then do “touch-up” of tenacious areas with oxide media. One of the things that shocked me was that they said their blasting is ineffective at removing the undercoating (or any other rubberized or similar coatings). As such, I’d need to remove this myself first. And, of course, they can only strip areas that their blast media can be aimed at. In other words, it does not strip the inside of the frame tubes, the inner layers of the rockers, or even areas between the panels and any inner bracing (hood, deck lid, doors, etc). The cost for this service is the better of the two options as follows: $1,200 to $1,500 for the shell, $180 each for the doors, $180 for the hood, and $120 for the deck lid. They then offer to spray everything in epoxy primer for another $800. So, roughly $2k for stripping (most of the surfaces), and $800 for a protective coating.

https://www.u-spray.com/

Dipping:

With this method, I’ve learned a lot. I am speaking with the place that does stripping for The Werk Shop, which I think is a vote of confidence. What I’ve learned is that they first dip the chassis/parts in a heated base solution. This is what strips everything off the metal. They tell me it removes paint, filler, undercoating – everything except metal. They then rinse and dip in an acid solution. The acid neutralizes the base and removes all rust. They tell me their process removes no metal, although I just reduced a vixen file to the thickness of a beer can in a phosphoric acid solution a few weeks ago by accidentally leaving it in there for a couple of weeks. So I assume the acid removes “some” metal. But likely not much. Note that this process removes rust from everywhere including the hidden nooks and crannies. And I don’t have to remove the undercoating. The process costs a bit more at $2,000 to $2,500 for the chassis and about $1,200 for the rest of the parts – about $3,300 total. Then they apply a water soluble coating that protects the bare metal from flash rust. They tell me this will not protect the metal forever. But I wonder if it is enough for the car to live in my ridiculously dry shop while I work on sheet metal. They offer an e-coating as a much higher level of protection. It comes out gloss black and would protect everything thoroughly. Shockingly, they say that the e-coat is the one thing they dipping process can’t remove! This e-coat is expensive, roughly matching the cost of the stripping process.

http://www.metal-cleaning-rsi.com/

As you can probably tell by reading into my summaries, I am leaning towards the dipping process as it does a more thorough job of removing rust and corrosion from everywhere. I’d love to learn if anyone has any recommendations or cautions. And I’d also welcome input on the water soluble protection versus the e-coat. Honestly, the cost of the e-coating really blows the budget. But if it is absolutely the right/best thing to do, I’d like to (need to) hear that.

Thanks for your input!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wouldn't use media blasting on any of your large panels as there's to deform on account of heat. All of the cleaning back on my CS was by hand to bare metal.
For the CSL we decided against dipping on account of cost and that we would lose too much of the fabric of the car. For example there were factory markings in pencil on the paint under the parcel shelf, floors etc and I wanted to keep them. What we did do was have the worst sections media blasted (rockers, sills) etc but stayed away from even the steel panel work as it was too thin to not deform. There are some pictures on my restoration thread that may be of help.

For me the decision would turn on how bad your car is, what you are trying to achieve and how much of the original fabric are you trying to save.

Hope this helps.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This topic seems kind of quiet. @Wes thanks for your thoughts on the subject. I am in agreement that blasting is not the right answer. That process seems to leave too many gaps in the overall results, plus the risk of warping panels.

I had to put your "fabric" comment in context. I would imagine with a CSL starting out in better shape than my car, fabric becomes a very important aspect of the story and provenance. But for my CS, the chassis is very rough and there is a lot that will be gone after dipping. I have some photos of the pencil marks and that is good enough for me. My goal is to build myself a "pretty close to new" coupe, and having solid, corrosion free metal is my biggest priority. What is not original will be replaced with original, reproduction, or fabricated sheet metal. At least that's my plan.

I still hang on the subject of coating. At present I don't think this e-coat process is what I'm after. Ideally I'd like to get the car in epoxy primer, and the dipping place doesn't do this. That leaves a "hand-off" for either me spraying it (which my wife seems to be strongly against) or bringing it to a second shop and that "responsibility" concerns me. I might just get it home with the preventative coating and see where we're at.

Reactions: Wes

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A process used for top quality restoration preservation in Germany since years. Sounds very similar to what @autokunst is referring to.
Process is called KTL. Cathodic submerged painting.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah yes, this is really helpful. Thank you Keshav for sending this. I now realize that the place I am working with offers roughly the same process. The "e-coat" that I keep referencing is technically a cathodic electrodeposition coating, which seals all surfaces, even hidden and concealed areas.

Further, there was a variation of process that they offered, and I didn't fully understand it at the time. However, I now realize that this alternative process is exactly what I would benefit from most. They called it their "80%" service. They explained that they perform their 2-stage dipping service in base solution, then acid to remove all paints, coatings, fill, and then rust. But they don't get 100% of the rust and corrosion off - just most of it. Then they coat the car/parts with a water soluble rust preventative and I take everything home to do metal work. Once I am finished with my metal work (whether that is in a month or several years), I bring it back and they clean it again 100%, followed by the cathodic electrodepostion coating. Once this is applied, the car is sealed from any further corrosion, and body work can commence.

This is starting to click. ;)

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
This is something that I have been doing a bit of research on too. There is a company here in the UK who offer a similar service, as you can see here: https://www.envirostripgbltd.com/industrial/auto-restoration/auto-restoration-video-gallery/

I think my worry with this surrounds painting after the various dip processes. How can you ensure that every metal surface that is now bare gets proper paint coverage? I'm thinking about all those nooks and crannies, and the inside of box sections etc? Or have I missed something?

frogisland

Reaction score
Number of options in the UK

My e9 was sent through SPL process; dipping & ecoat finish, and my e12 through Paint-Strip process; thermal pyrolysis and epoxy finish.

Pros and cons for both. Plenty on the internet rather than me do a full report on both! Found ecoat expensive, but reached inside box sections etc. Very minor post dip weepage. First dip struggled with very tightly packed corroded seams. Pyrolysis cheaper, left some minor corrosion behind spot welded brackets etc (maybe because the shell is phosphate rinsed vs dipped for the rust removal and so you don't get the same penetration). Comprehensive rust inhibition required in box sections etc after painting (which is also worthy on an ecoated car too)

frogisland

Reaction score
e12 and e9 post process

Attachments

• IMG_20160329_220608.jpg
    IMG_20160329_220608.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 198
  • SPL5.jpeg
    SPL5.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 213

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
That's really useful, thank you. I think my thought process on this one is that I only want to restore the car once, so want to ensure that I future proof it from any further rust etc. I think that it'll take much longer than I anticipate because I'll need to wait until I can afford to do things the way I want to, so I'll need to do things in stages.

All part of the 'joy' of classic car restoration I guess!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My understanding is that the e-coat is a very tenacious and durable (actually very hard) coating. But it does not have the UV resistance and must be sealed/coated on the exposed surfaces. Which is to say, you shouldn't paint right over it. Rather, best practice is to spray a good/compatible etching or epoxy primer before paints and clear coats. Back in the day, shops would just paint over the e-coat and the paint bond could fail due to the e-coat breaking down underneath. But that was a shortcut. If properly sealed/primed, I understand this will last our lifetime.

There is also a hardness compatibility issue. The e-coat is extremely hard. So spraying today's base coats right on it (which are soft), and you can get differential movement between the layers. A proper prime/seal coat in between mitigates this and is what I understand to be the proper sequence.

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
My understanding is that the e-coat is a very tenacious and durable (actually very hard) coating. But it does not have the UV resistance and must be sealed/coated on the exposed surfaces. Which is to say, you shouldn't paint right over it. Rather, best practice is to spray a good/compatible etching or epoxy primer before paints and clear coats. Back in the day, shops would just paint over the e-coat and the paint bond could fail due to the e-coat breaking down underneath. But that was a shortcut. If properly sealed/primed, I understand this will last our lifetime.

There is also a hardness compatibility issue. The e-coat is extremely hard. So spraying today's base coats right on it (which are soft), and you can get differential movement between the layers. A proper prime/seal coat in between mitigates this and is what I understand to be the proper sequence.
Excellent - thank you!

jmackro

Reaction score
Forgive me for being a little late in joining this discussion. "Blasting vs. Dipping" gets debated on the automotive forums with great regularity, sort of like "Carburetors vs. Fuel Injection" or a myriad of other binary choices. The world is made up of committed Blasters and die hard Dippers and they'll never see eye-to-eye. Me, I'm a Blaster. I have had several cars media blasted and have always been pleased with the results.

One point in defense of blasting: it's more suitable when you are not doing a 100% restoration. If you want to leave the sound insulation, wiring harness, etc. in place, dipping certainly isn't going to work. Another reason for avoiding dipping: some cars (like the Alfas I also play with) have aluminum spacers inside the chassis box sections to support the compressive loads of through bolts. Those aluminum spacers can't be readily removed/replaced, but will be attacked by the neutralizing acids used in the dipping process.

But sure, if you are restoring an e9 right down to the shell and want the body to look like it did in Munich 50 years ago, dipping could be the right choice. Just don't expect to be invited to my house for dinner!

Last edited:

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Forgive me for being a little late in joining this discussion. "Blasting vs. Dipping" gets debated on the automotive forums with great regularity, sort of like "Carburetors vs. Fuel Injection" or a myriad of other binary choices. The world is made up of committed Blasters and die hard Dippers and they'll never see eye-to-eye. Me, I'm a Blaster. I have had several cars media blasted and have always been pleased with the results.

One point in defense of blasting: it's more suitable when you are not doing a 100% restoration. If you want to leave the sound insulation, wiring harness, etc. in place, dipping certainly isn't going to work. Another reason for avoiding dipping: some cars (like the Alfas I also play with) have aluminum spacers inside the chassis box sections to support the compressive loads of through bolts. Those aluminum spacers can't be readily removed/replaced, but will be attacked by the neutralizing acids used in the dipping process.

But sure, if you are restoring an e9 right down to the shell and want the body to look like it did in Munich 50 years ago, dipping could be the right choice. Just don't expect to be invited to my house for dinner!

This is an excellent point actually - the partial restoration vs the full 'every last nut and bolt'. I guess that my decision is based around the fact that the roads are so salty in the UK that it gets everywhere, and therefore so does the rust. So I think for me it's working out the best solution for 100% eradicating every little bit of it!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I blasted all areas exept for the outer panels. Doors, wings, quarter panels, roof, hood, trunklid was all taken down to bare metal by hand.
Then we did some occasional blasting on different areas that only had surface rust while we were inside the rockers etc.
Some closed areas was left alone (inside the pillars and inside the lower windscreen "tunnels" and more) but all of these closed areas was inspected and had only slight surface rust, and has been treated with oils and waxes after the painting was done, so I'm very confident that they will stand up to the dry storage + driving the coupe will see in the future.
This was done by myself and the dollars spent was extremely low compared to any kind of dipping process, so considering that, I'm pleased with the result of blasting.

But in your case Stephen, comparing blasting + epoxy at $2800 and dipping + water soluble coating at $3300, I'd definitely take the later option!
After that I would take it home and do all the bodywork, and think long and hard about the decision to e-coat or not after the metal is fixed :)

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's interesting Gary. One question I have surrounding ecoat - what effect does that have on the paint preparation process?
Self etching primer seam sealer then paint. Remember that the seam sealer will be gone too as a result of dipping. Sometimes in the hardest to get to areas.

SkiFast

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Site Donor
Reaction score
If I may resurrect this thread.... I stripped the car down to every last bolt, readying it for a bath. But having the winter to think about it, I see my rust is mainly surface rust and I have all new rockers, fenders, a quarterpanel, and much more. All rusted areas are easily reachable for sanding or blasting. What I don't hear is a mention of all the types of blasting (walnut, soda, plastic, glass, etc.). I'm thinking of doing some sanding and light blasting (starting with soda or a natural process) to see how far I get without being too evasive. Anyone try lighter forms of blasting?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wouldn't dip unless your chassis is essentially a basket case. Yes it takes the rust bit also factory markings, seam sealer, original paint etc. Once that's gone it's gone, unlike the rust that will come back..
Never get my head around people going for a restoration that's original as possible but destroy much of the fabric of the car in the process. Same a replacing thin gauge CSL body work with standard W&N panels..

SkiFast

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was lucky, the previous owner bought the last of the original BMW parts, and extra steel, over 16 years ago. It's all sat in a trailer ever since. I did buy some WN inner fender parts, but I'm not building a CSL unicorn :) I'd love to see more pics of your car, beautiful!