eBay Over-riders

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I want to share my experience with buying online over-riders. I purchased the parts as remanufactured on eBay. The low price and 100% positive feedback convinced me to buy them in January and they arrived in March. They really felt light and thin but I had no previous experience with the E9 over-riders. During the installation one of the carriage bolt heads pulled through and the other started to pull through while only using a 1/4 inch drive ratchet. They obviously were defective.
I contacted the seller and after a somewhat brief email exchange, he returned the funds plus some for return postage. Unfortunately PayPal took the return postage funds for their fees. I will send the parts back to the vendor for analysis and am ok spending a few dollars for shipping. He could have played hardball, claimed I abused the parts, and refused the refund which he didn't.
Since I bought these in January it may be too late to post eBay feedback and am mixed on what feedback I would give this vendor. Every vendor has occasional quality issues which I can confirm as I spent years in automotive supplier quality. I wasn't happy and was really very mad but then he exceeded my expectations. It is refreshing when vendors stand behind their products. If it wouldn't take 2 months to get replacements, I might have gone that route.
However, I have NOS over-riders on order from BTS for a little more money that should be here in a week or so.

Attachments

• Over-riders.jpg
    Over-riders.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 165

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Were those defective over riders from the EBay seller mentioned by Teahead? I bought a set from that seller and am waiting for their arrival.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Were those defective over riders from the EBay seller mentioned by Teahead? I bought a set from that seller and am waiting for their arrival.
Yes, however the parts you receive may be ok. I have no way of knowing if any of the other parts are good or bad.

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
To be continued..... My originals have a few rust spots and I thought the EBay ones were a good buy vs. getting mine chrome plated. I have had a local company chrome plate several bumper parts and it is costly.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The ebay ad says "restored" or "remanufactured".

Wonder if they are newly made or really restored OEM ones. Not clear.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
UPDATE: I received the NOS Over-Riders from BTS today. DHL is fast. When I opened the package and pulled out the parts my first thoughts were that these are so much heavier and with more studying I noticed that they have features that the eBay ones didn't. The rubber bumpers also fit much tighter.
My conclusion is that the eBay parts that I received were way over ground until they became defective. I suspect that these were extremely rusted and should have been scrapped.
I highly recommend the NOS over-riders from BTS.

Attachments

• Front Bumper.jpg
    Front Bumper.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 153
  • NOS Over-rider.jpg
    NOS Over-rider.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 148

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have had my rear bumper and one of the rear under-riders chrome plated at a shop here in South Fla. Dan is correct about the severely rusted parts being ground down too much before the plating process is done. I bought a set of the EBay front over-riders since they were less $$ than having my original ones replated,even though the rust spots on them are very minimal. I'm way down that slippery slope of replacing most of the parts on the car.... If and when I get the EBay parts from Europe,we'll see how they compare to the originals. The pics of the bumper parts look fine, but I know where the rust spots are lurking....

Attachments

• IMG_2121(1).jpg
    IMG_2121(1).jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2122(1).jpg
    IMG_2122(1).jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 133

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew, I do hope the parts you get are good.
Dan, The box from Latvia arrived about 2 months after the EBay order was placed. The seller must have realized the problem with plating old rusty pieces that had to be ground smooth before the triple plating process. He added metal to the really thin areas as shown in the photos. I think they will accept the carriage bolts and torque down as required. The plating on the outside looks very nice. The next post will be the 2 pieces installed on my front bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg