Incredible video of 74 CSL destroy the competition at Laguna Seca

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Incredible video of 74 CSL destroy the competition at Laguna Seca
Event: Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion Track: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Date: Sunday, August 21, 2016 Time: 10:30am Race 3B (1963-1973 FIA Manufacturers Championship) Driver: Henry Schmitt Car #58: 1974 BMW CSL Starting Position: 33rd Finishing Position: 7th

Jon B

Reaction score
Fun to watch, thanks for posting. Too bad that it started so far down on the grid.

Fwiw, in 2014 I rebuilt the transmission of the Porsche 908 that finished 2nd in this race.
Obviously not BMW-related, but if there's any interest and it's OK with Scott I can post a few photos of it.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fun to watch, thanks for posting. Too bad that it started so far down on the grid.

Fwiw, in 2014 I rebuilt the transmission of the Porsche 908 that finished 2nd in this race.
Obviously not BMW-related, but if there's any interest and it's OK with Scott I can post a few photos of it.
sure post away

Jon B

Reaction score
sure post away
OK, with apologies for the non-BMW content...
The transmission from the 2nd place Porsche 908, one of two I did in 2014. The photo of both together is how they arrived.

DSCN0485.JPG
DSCN9990.JPGDSCN0436.JPGDSCN0491.JPGDSCN6866.JPGDSCN6920.JPG

Jon B

Reaction score
In the video, the CSL was having shifting issues. A missed shift at the end of lap 6 allowed the Corvette to pass, but the 'vette eventually spun out.
At the end of the video, the CSL driver seems to complain about the clutch.

One final Porsche transmission photo, this time with E9 content ;-)
Another 908 transmission, on the floor, next to my 72 BMW. This was sometime in the 1990s. The other transmission is from a 904/6.

DSCN3036.JPG

tmh

Reaction score
The CSL seemed to effortlessly blow by the other cars. Does anyone know any specifics on the engine and output?

Jon B

Reaction score
Were those Kugelfischer injection?
The original M49/3 engine had Kugelfischer fuel injection. I don't know the specifics of this engine as it was raced in 2016.
You can Google the chassis number 2275987 and perhaps find an in-depth article on the car and its engine.

BMW-3.0-CSL-IMSA-65734[1].jpg

tmh

Reaction score
Strut brace going through the airbox looks relatively crude. The additional brace looks like it is tieing the front strut towers into the firewall. Interesting.