E9 Dashboard renovation

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
any one will explain where to begin to take of the E9 dashboard to renew all woods on the dash I know I have to start to clear or open the covers under the dash and glove compartment to come off and I think center consul to come of and I stop right there I do not know how the rest if any one have experience please explain how to do the rest and please tell me if dashboard leather has to be black or can be same color as interior or seat leather color.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I removed and reinstalled my wood and dash so long ago, I can't remember all of the steps. I got all of the information I needed from this site. I believe it all starts with removing the power window switches in your console to access some screws you need to remove to start getting the console out, it goes from there. Go to the Tech Information section on the main page, there's a whole section for e9 interiors. Here's a link that TJ wrote up 20 years ago...

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I removed and reinstalled my wood and dash so long ago, I can't remember all of the steps. I got all of the information I needed from this site. I believe it all starts with removing the power window switches in your console to access some screws you need to remove to start getting the console out, it goes from there. Go to the Tech Information section on the main page, there's a whole section for e9 interiors. Here's a link that TJ wrote up 20 years ago...

thank you so much

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a few pics here that may help. Several pages in…

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
In a very short summary: just remove all the screws you see. that'll get you to about 95% of the success. There are a few hidden screws: iwas writing a whole section on it, but check @Markos posts ~#124 through 127 in the link above to see all of them with beautiful descriptions and pictures.

Start with
- the 2 cross head screw under the window switches of the centre console that vince mentioned: pull the window switches up to see the screws about 2 inches below. (carefull, don't damage the anodized alu trim). When removing the dash, it is most convenient to remove the entire center console , including the heater unit as well. I would advise to keep the cables connected between the heater control unit, and the heater itself. If you do want to seperate the cables from the heater unit them, measure and document the length of the cables sticking out from the hold down screw.
- the other hidden screws are behind the horizontal alu trim runing left too right in the cabin. gently pry it off with a soft plastic or wood stick; preventing making depressions in the foam/vinyl surrounding. (shown by Markos as well)
- the top dashpad is secured by 2 infamous clips along the window edge; 1 left, one right. Be carefull not to bend and break the pad.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some have been able to do this without removal of the windshield. I guess it can be done but replacement with the glass in place seems almost impossible. Share your thoughts when the process is over.

Henny

Reaction score
I've done it without removing the windshield. Removing the dashboard is pretty straightforward when the center console and ventilation unit are removed. Installing the dash is much more difficult, it is nearly impossible to install the upper part with the 4 clips properly.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In a very short summary: just remove all the screws you see. that'll get you to about 95% of the success. There are a few hidden screws: iwas writing a whole section on it, but check @Markos posts ~#124 through 127 in the link above to see all of them with beautiful descriptions and pictures.

Start with
- the 2 cross head screw under the window switches of the centre console that vince mentioned: pull the window switches up to see the screws about 2 inches below. (carefull, don't damage the anodized alu trim). When removing the dash, it is most convenient to remove the entire center console , including the heater unit as well. I would advise to keep the cables connected between the heater control unit, and the heater itself. If you do want to seperate the cables from the heater unit them, measure and document the length of the cables sticking out from the hold down screw.
- the other hidden screws are behind the horizontal alu trim runing left too right in the cabin. gently pry it off with a soft plastic or wood stick; preventing making depressions in the foam/vinyl surrounding. (shown by Markos as well)
- the top dashpad is secured by 2 infamous clips along the window edge; 1 left, one right. Be carefull not to bend and break the pad.
thank you so much and God bless you