Dashboard restoration

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
any one will explain where to begin to take of the E9 dashboard to renew all woods on the dash I know I have to start to clear or open the covers under the dash and glove compartment to come off and I think center consul to come of and I stop right there I do not know how the rest if any one have experience please explain how to do the rest and please tell me if dashboard leather has to be black or can be same color as interior or seat leather color.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think if you search you will find several write ups on dash removal, deconstruction by markos
The shelf is vinyl, as far as I know always black, like the A and C post covers, you can get it from World Upholstery

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think if you search you will find several write ups on dash removal, deconstruction by markos
The shelf is vinyl, as far as I know always black, like the A and C post covers, you can get it from World Upholstery
thank you for your advise

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

shanon

Reaction score
Just know itsa PITA, but the finished results are worth the effort because they are MAJOR part of the E9 'view' going down the road.

Well worth the effort IMHO.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
while the taking apart is relatively straight forward ... care is important not to break / crack old brittle plastic - such as the defroster vents or the upper dash pad. putting it back together is a whole different thing. while you can take the dash out with the windshield in, putting it back in with the with the windshield still in is a different animal. i will never say impossible but it is tough to get the leverage to get the upper dash pad to lock in. the other thing to be careful of is when you are unbolting the wooden dash bottom - there are 3 bolts that are set in the wood - the resin (or whatever) that locks the bolts in is easily turned to dust. take a lot of pictures of how things are connected. one of the biggest PITA are the bolts above the center console.

the wood comes apart relatively easily once you have removed the dash. then you can examine if there is any delaminating of the wood - it can be glued and clamped. then you get to the wood veneer. there are companies that can reo it for you such as Madera Concepts or more affordable @bela66 ... it just requires shipping to him in eastern europe. many people have been very happy with his work.

its a bunch of work, but @shanon has it right its worth it as you will look at it every time you drive the coupe.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
we had the windshield out and it was still very difficult
The clips come out of the dash pad very easily, on one of them I needed to do the trick that I read about on this forum, put a hook in the end of a threaded rod and pull it down with a nut

Henny

Reaction score
You need a lot of patience, especially putting the dash together is very difficult. But when finished, it's very rewarding.

Attachments

• 20210526_112549.jpg
    20210526_112549.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 217

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
while the taking apart is relatively straight forward ... care is important not to break / crack old brittle plastic - such as the defroster vents or the upper dash pad. putting it back together is a whole different thing. while you can take the dash out with the windshield in, putting it back in with the with the windshield still in is a different animal. i will never say impossible but it is tough to get the leverage to get the upper dash pad to lock in. the other thing to be careful of is when you are unbolting the wooden dash bottom - there are 3 bolts that are set in the wood - the resin (or whatever) that locks the bolts in is easily turned to dust. take a lot of pictures of how things are connected. one of the biggest PITA are the bolts above the center console.

the wood comes apart relatively easily once you have removed the dash. then you can examine if there is any delaminating of the wood - it can be glued and clamped. then you get to the wood veneer. there are companies that can reo it for you such as Madera Concepts or more affordable @bela66 ... it just requires shipping to him in eastern europe. many people have been very happy with his work.

its a bunch of work, but @shanon has it right its worth it as you will look at it every time you drive the coupe.
you are the best my friend I wish every one was like you easy to share your experience with others thank you so much
God bless you