Restored 2800CS as silver red restomod - almost done

Buildit

Reaction score
@Markos, you can do whatever you want to do ! However, if you have never built a car from ground up you don't realize context, importance and effort. I find in today's world where everyone is a critic and no one manufactures, builds, get their hands dirty that everything is a check list item. Without context and without experience a tiny touch up on paint gets equivalized with an engine that needs rebuilt or in this case an in progress pics of floor pans equivalized to are they new, safe, not rusty, correct etc.

As a degreed manufacturing engineer with extensive experience in building everything from oil and gas pipelines to patented supply chain planning software context is everything. We have forged processes and work to fit customer budgets not just do things "one way". There are many supposed "restoration" shops that you show up write unlimited checks and wait years. We are not that place.

The context of this car is a quality, low mileage, never wrecked, no rust (rare for coupes), near perfect drive train, many new components, all other nice orig ready for an owners emphasis to finish. We or that owner can take this to a near perfect car or complete as quality driver that later could be made perfect

Building a car, building a house, assembling lines of code in a software project all require context. That food critic without context will weight a unfolded napkin to equivalent of a clean kitchen.

"Life is often understood much better backwards but must be lived forward"

Jon

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos, you can do whatever you want to do ! However, if you have never built a car from ground up you don't realize context, importance and effort. I find in today's world where everyone is a critic and no one manufactures, builds, get their hands dirty that everything is a check list item. Without context and without experience a tiny touch up on paint gets equivalized with an engine that needs rebuilt or in this case an in progress pics of floor pans equivalized to are they new, safe, not rusty, correct etc.

As a degreed manufacturing engineer with extensive experience in building everything from oil and gas pipelines to patented supply chain planning software context is everything. We have forged processes and work to fit customer budgets not just do things "one way". There are many supposed "restoration" shops that you show up write unlimited checks and wait years. We are not that place.

The context of this car is a quality, low mileage, never wrecked, no rust (rare for coupes), near perfect drive train, many new components, all other nice orig ready for an owners emphasis to finish. We or that owner can take this to a near perfect car or complete as quality driver that later could be made perfect

Building a car, building a house, assembling lines of code in a software project all require context. That food critic without context will weight a unfolded napkin to equivalent of a clean kitchen.

"Life is often understood much better backwards but must be lived forward"

Jon

@Buildit,

Don’t expect to enlighten anyone on this forum. As @HB Chris already mentioned, wrong venue.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay, i've read and looked at more than enough ... and the pics tell me this story. "this coupe has plenty of quality ... and all of it LOW".

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i'm i wrong that i didn't see a asking price here ? not all coupes need to be perfect , this could be a "good" start for a DIY driver project ? But at a fair price i suppose , depending how "new" the parts are .....

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No trolls here - just people who see what they see and make note of that....
In looking at the pics on the google drive - not sure what I am looking at.

Am I seeing pics of what you started out with and then 'fixed'?
If not and the pics show the condition of the work as completed (as I suspect).. Then, Houston - We have a problem.

Time to move on and close this thread... IMO.....

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am so intrigued by this build. It really helps me to see how i can finish my build in just 2-3 weeks ;while already 7 years in.
I find it soooo refreshing to see some of your ideas to get the car ready by skipping that nauseating strive for perfection, stepping over common sense and seeing the car as just a option to get from A to B vs people that are hindered by having too much respect for the car.

Some of the mind openers for me:

Apparently you don't have to remove ornaments, clips, bushings, or rubber plugs when applying epoxy. I always understood that paint has two purposes: look good, and provide rust protection. If you do not remove for instance the rubber plugs in the floor sections, is then the lack of rust protection balanced by the nicely, shiny painted rubber plug? 2ndly, Does keeping the hood grilles in place while painting offer a benefit such as giving a better fitment after painting? Or is it to save time of removing them?
1634555999360.png
1634555086562.png

When portions are rusted, i see a very novel idea: simply cut the rusted metal out, bang the remaining metal until you get a somewhat functional shape and weld it to the floor. So fast! So much time saved on not having to make correct new metal parts, to waste time on butt welding them so no-one sees your repair. Is the loss of rigidity compensated by the extra sound insulation layer that you added later on?
1634556444318.png

Also nice to see someone who can live with dents being left in the front valance of the car. It is a mindset that would help get my car on the road quicker too!
After all, the dent is mostly hidden by the bumper anyway. (stuff you don't see don't need to be correct, right? By the way the oil in my sump is full of metal particles; would you advise to drain and put new oil in, or just stick in a magnet from below and pull out what I can?)
1634555906664.png

I never saw this idea also; cutting down on the usage of masking tape: for instance it is not used on the rear springs and shock, and I see evidence of minimalistic use on the sides of the center console.
What would you say is the biggest benefit: the time reduction of not applying all that tape, or saving money by using less tape? I find tape very, very expensive for it's usable lifetime because it is only really necessary for just those 2-3 seconds that you take that rattle can in your hand. At 1 euro / USD per roll, for a few seconds, tape is costing something like 60 euro/usd per hour spend extra!
#SKIPTAPE altogether I'd say.
1634555775389.png
1634560576049.png

And as final learning point: what is the benefit of painting the old foam and tar insulation mats? Does it prevent the foam from rusting? I never new foam could rust!
1634556589676.png

And what is the benefit of doubling up on the metal layers of the floor? (I see the floor patch panels are welded in by your trainee, nice to give him that on-the-job- training opportunity! Such a vote of confidence!) Are these layers double-up to increase body stiffness? Perhaps to balance out the part of the seat structure that was butchered out?
1634557036313.png
Also it's quite a good business model, as you are guaranteed that this owner needs to be a returning customer for rust repairs in 3 to 5 years. Really would help my business if i could generate my own clients like that! Would you mind if i steal this idea and use it for my own company? (I'm running a fire prevention company, and a do routine house checks, install smoke detectors and so on. What if I would setup some sparking electrics during my visits, hoping that a few of my clients would have their houses burn down? I think it would create quite a good interest in getting smoke alarms in those neighborhoods. Would you think it would be time well spend?

Oh, and the last, although it may not be important:
What would you think is up with the paint on the bottom of the decorative sills and the rear window frame? It looks like there are some holes underneath, like rust. But I've never heard that these cars rust, (weren't they build in the Delorean Plant from stainless steel?). I am hugely comforted by your statement saying that "all floors have been replaced". What I am seeing in the pics must surely be some strange lighting reflections from the flash?

1634557836968.png

Thanks for:
- employing soo many people.
- keep some money flowing around
- support the tape industry
- support the producers of rattle cans

Awaiting anxiously on your further tips and tricks, although I must confess that my OCD is very strong, and I may not be able to do what you can achieve in such short time frame.
A big thanks to my wife as well for pointing me towards this thread: I can see how this would free up a lot of time for me to finally paint the house, redo the kitchen, and in general live more in the house than in my garage.

Once your car is finished let me know. I think our local fountain in the city square has enough to be scraped from the bottom to pay for all this.

Erik.

Attachments

• 1634555844046.png
    1634555844046.png
    957.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

DAVE

Reaction score
I am so intrigued by this build. It really helps me to see how i can finish my build in just 2-3 weeks ;while already 7 years in.
I find it soooo refreshing to see some of your ideas to get the car ready by skipping that nauseating strive for perfection, stepping over common sense and seeing the car as just a option to get from A to B vs people that are hindered by having too much respect for the car.

Some of the mind openers for me:

Apparently you don't have to remove ornaments, clips, bushings, or rubber plugs when applying epoxy. I always understood that paint has two purposes: look good, and provide rust protection. If you do not remove for instance the rubber plugs in the floor sections, is then the lack of rust protection balanced by the nicely, shiny painted rubber plug? 2ndly, Does keeping the hood grilles in place while painting offer a benefit such as giving a better fitment after painting? Or is it to save time of removing them?
View attachment 128866View attachment 128862
When portions are rusted, i see a very novel idea to simply cut the rusted metal out, bang the remaining metal until you get a somewhat functional shape and weld it to the floor. So fast! So much time saved on not having to make correct new metal parts, to waste time on butt welding them in so no-one sees your repair. Is the loss of rigidity compensated by the extra sound insulation layer that you added later on?
View attachment 128867

Also nice to see someone who can live with dents being left in the front valance of the car. It is a mindset that would help get my car on the road quicker too! after all the dents are mostly hidden by the bumper anyway. (stuff you don't see don't need to be correct, right? By the way my oil in my sump is full of metal particles; would you advise to drain and put new oil in, or just stick in a magnet from below and pull out what I can?)
View attachment 128865

I never saw this idea also; cutting down on the usage of masking tape: for instance here it is not used on the rear springs and shock, and it's mimimalistic use on the sides of the center console.
What would say is the biggest benefit, the time reduction of not applying all that tape, or using less tape? I find tape very, very expensive for it's usable lifetime becuase it is only really necessary just those few seconds that you take that rattle can in your hand. At 1 euro / USD per roll, and use it only for a few seconds, tape is costing something like 60 euro/usd per hour extra! SKIP TAPE altogether I'd say.
View attachment 128863View attachment 128871

and as final learning point: what is the benefit of painting the old foam and tar insulation mats? Does it prevent the foam from rusting? I never new foam could rust!
View attachment 128868

And what is the benefit of doubling up on the metal layers of the floor? (I see the floor patch panels are welded in by your trainee, nice to give him that on the job training option!) Is this to increase body stiffness?
View attachment 128869 Also quite a good business model, as you are guaranteed that this owner needs to be a returning customer for rust repairs in 3 to 5 years. Really would help my business if i could generate my own clients like that! Would you mind if i steal this idea and use it for my own company? (I'm running a fire prevention company, and a do routine house checks; install smoke detectors and so on. What if I would setup some sparking electrics during my visits, hoping that a few of my clients would have thier houses burn down? I think it would create quite a good interest in getting smoke alarms in those neighbourhoods. Would you think it would be time well spend?

Oh, and the last, although it may not be important:
What would you think is up with the paint on the bottom of the decorative sills and the rear window frame? It looks like there are some holes underneath, like rust. But I've never heard that these cars rust, (weren't they build in the Delorean Plant from stainless steel?). I am hugely comforted by your statement saying that "all floors have been replaced". So is what I am seeing some strange lighting reflections from the flash?

View attachment 128870

Thanks for:
- employing soo many people.
- keep some money flowing around
- support the tape industry
- support the producers of rattle cans

Awaiting anxiously on your further tips and tricks, although i must confess that my OCD is very strong, and i may not be able to do what you can achieve in such short time frame.
A big thanks to my wife as well for pointing me towards this thread: I can see how this would free up a lot of time for me to finally paint the house, redo the kitchen, and in general live more in the house than in my garage.

Once you car is finished let me know. I think our local fountain in the city square has enough to be scraped from the bottom to pay for all this.

Erik.
Erik,
I think you are jumping the gun here.
The strength is clearly in the rivets :)
1634562741272.png

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
All one needs to do is peruse the media section of this forum to see what is the right way of doing things. .................

Would not the seats be the LAST thing that goes in the interior to allow ample room to do the center console, door cards etc?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is the GO-TO-SHOP for any car purchased from Beverly Hills Car Club. "That rust bucket you so wisely purchased for way, way more than what it was worth will be ready in a week, Sir. We have a wide selection of rattle can tops, so choose the color you want your car painted in."

Now I will be quiet as this thread dies a rusty death.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how much the paint costs, how many installed parts are NOS, if the basis of the car is... Well the photos are here for all to see. I do not do this professionally but as a hobby, my work is not perfect (nor do I profess it to be) but I like to think it is not bodgery and having seen up close and personal proper restoration progress on coupes done correctly I don't think I would ever be on that level!

I find it hard to be critical of anyone's work but for a shop to think that these kinds of repairs are worthy of bolting show car bits on and defend such workmanship one can't help but voice their opinion. Imo it would appear that "Santa and his elves" should probably put down the hammer, dollies and the welder and stick to making children's toys.

A damn shame as I was planning to get some a/c bits from select classics as was a few others. Think I will have to find another solution if this is your idea of work done to a high standard.