CSL in Mecum Auction

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yea, that was a big miss and likely led to not getting reserve. The fact that it's a race-able, period correct, BMW e9 should be enough...

Klassic

Reaction score
Agreed, but I get the feeling that perhaps De Foor didn't write the description, it looks a bit "cut and paste" and maybe hurried to market, so who knows what happened here ??
Anyway, I would like to think the car could stand on its own two feet (4 wheels), and people take it for what it is. Whoever gets to own it next I hope is rewarded with a fun drive and has some pride in ownership.
In the meantime another e9 race car is in gestation.......

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyway, I would like to think the car could stand on its own two feet (4 wheels), and people take it for what it is.

The problem is that the car had almost no supporting information. Bidders weren’t given the opportunity to take it for what it was. Additionally, Mecum may have lost potential bidders who assumed it was out of their range. A race-spec genuine batmobile is in a different ballpark than a salvaged CSiA.

Anyway, not trying to beat a dead horse.

Redrumm3

Reaction score
The problem is that the car had almost no supporting information. Bidders weren’t given the opportunity to take it for what it was. Additionally, Mecum may have lost potential bidders who assumed it was out of their range. A race-spec genuine batmobile is in a different ballpark than a salvaged CSiA.

Anyway, not trying to beat a dead horse.
Agreed, this car is also probably out of Mecum's wheelhouse, so to speak. There is probably a better auction house or venue to sell this type of BMW race car, one that better understands the brand and racing history.

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's listed as "the bid goes on" so if anyone is still interested in buying the car, they should reach out. I've gone down this path on a Mecum auction before. They are still incentivized to make a sale to collect their commission and will be pretty direct with you about what sort of offer will get the buyers attention.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yea, that was a big miss and likely led to not getting reserve. The fact that it's a race-able, period correct, BMW e9 should be enough...
Well, sort of period correct... HSR isn't too picky. As I said, they both seem like decent builds, but presenting it as a CSL isn't Kosher.

Couple of years ago Mecum sold a Samba member a 21 Deluxe Bus, touted as full docs, bare shell, yada yada... dude spent mid-six figures.
Turned out to be a Brazilian bus with roof added, had two VINs, a total freakin' nightmare. Mecum chose to protect the seller. In litigation now.

For this car, pay what you would for a used vintage race car of no particular merit. Doesn't matter who owned it, you're buying the build, depending on how fresh it is.
Regardless of Klassic's opinion, I think the high bid was close to fair.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Couple of years ago Mecum sold a Samba member a 21 Deluxe Bus, touted as full docs, bare shell, yada yada... dude spent mid-six figures.
Turned out to be a Brazilian bus with roof added, had two VINs, a total freakin' nightmare. Mecum chose to protect the seller. In litigation now.

I remember that ordeal. May have even been linked here. What a nightmare!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score

Yes that was painful to read, here it is:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you don't wear a mask in Australia they will prosecute you, right after they tackle you to the ground and beat you like a rented mule.

Why are you talking about mask laws in an auction thread. How Idaho transplant of you! :D

We take the same approach with gun control. Seems to be working well so far.

Why are you talking about stringent gun control in an auction thread? How Australian of you! :D

Please take no offense from guy trying to stay on topic!