Euro 1973 BMW 3.0CSi 5 speed (NMNA)

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Listed on BaT Location: Harderwijk, Netherlands

This one appears to be well sorted and is well presented by the seller, with clear pictures under the dash and below the vehicle. This one should do very well.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but the color of that car looks off. Not quite factory original.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but the color of that car looks off. Not quite factory original.
Yeah - I noticed that also. Although the it does look like the photography has been 'edited' some..... Not sure if the color shifted or not... Either way - it is a nice car.
(Although - I do sometimes wish that the folks stop trying to win a "photography award' with these pics and just get down and show the car - without all the BS of edited photos and such)

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ivo Christov is a BMW expert & an excellent seller. Mostly known for his E28 expertise. Have met him a couple times in Monterey during car week.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's the difference between photos 126 and 127. Enhanced photo editing and probably the fact that Turkis is more sensitive to light. I guess I could force myself to drive that car. ;)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Photos never show the accurate colors. Throw in everyone sees something completely different based on what your computer screen is/settings etc. Looks awesome to me but to @vince point, how often do we see this color in the flesh. More importantly, it looks to be a preserved car vs a restored car. Something very rare nowadays. Either that or a well done resto years ago with a recent refresh on the paint. Regardless a nice driver car IMHO...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The paint is obviously newer but the underside was left alone it appears, lots of undercoating. Ivo is a great guy and will be visiting in October.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
BaT seems to do something to photos when they do their compression to them. I have a calibrated monitor and got the color of a Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 I shot for them bang on but it showed up more saturated on the auction. I provided full resolution photos. Hard to say how accurate colors are in any photos. I knew this going into it with my 528e, so I tried to show the Minervablau in different lighting to show the spectrum of color and how it flops. Virtually no photos of Golf ever show the true color of the car, for example.

Listing suggests there was some form of a restoration done in the 1990s. I also thought it was funny they mentioned “silver painted wheels with Alpina center caps” though the photos show they’re actually real Alpinas.

I’m sure it will do well with the color combo and CSi, but location and replacement engine might temper the bidding.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Beautiful #3 car (#2 if the underside was pristine) that should fetch $100k me thinks.

California buyers, got make sure it can be registered there.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately not a chance.
I think it may be possible since they sold coupes here in '73. At least the federalization part of it. The "i" in CSi might cause issues on the emissions side of things though. I bet it could be done with a lot of $$$ paying for the process. :)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Montana and be done with it...

BTW, I've noticed many of the FedEx trucks up here have Montana plates now. I guess the cops will start pulling them over too?.. Haha!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it may be possible since they sold coupes here in '73. At least the federalization part of it. The "i" in CSi might cause issues on the emissions side of things though. I bet it could be done with a lot of $$$ paying for the process. :)
Any out of state or out of country import to CA from 1968 and on requires a VIN verification but the killer is the lack of a FVMSS and DOT/EPA stickers. I know several owners who have had this issue. If you will be driving on CA roads and highways I feel you need to pay your registration fees and use tax here just like the rest of us.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Any out of state or out of country import to CA from 1968 and on requires a VIN verification but the killer is the lack of a FVMSS and DOT/EPA stickers. I know several owners who have had this issue. If you will be driving on CA roads and highways I feel you need to pay your registration fees and use tax here just like the rest of us.
I guess my point is that I think it's possible because coupes were sold here. Probably not worth doing, but still more likely than a vehicle that was never sold here. I've been looking into older G-Wagen Mercedes and they weren't sold here until around 1999, so anything before that time wouldn't have anything to compare to for safety and emissions standards. And yet some still get imported and registered in CA.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two coupes here in Fountain Valley, one Mehrdad’s former Colorado CSi and Marilyn Wegweiser’s former Granatrot CSi can not be registered. The Colorado coupe was here until ten years ago and the Granatrot coupe was registered in PA, CA doesn’t care unfortunately. And they have no VIN database to compare VINs they just want to see the stickers. And as Don has posted the CHP now has a website to report out-of-state plates on in-state cars.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love that. So every out of State license plate gets reported via this web site. These guys don't have the resources to track down serious offenders and they will be pulling over tourist from out of state? Lol... It's a bad joke

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Individuals can report out-of-state plates that they see.
Oh, I get that. But does anything ever come of it? Trying to get tax dodgers? All they have to do is go to car week. 75% of the super/hypercars there have Montana plates. Not to mention the 20-75M private jets registered in Montana. I guess my point is using tax loopholes is only for the rich. Us normal folk should just be quiet and pay up. And most of the classic euro cars get registered in Montana not because of taxes but because of emission laws.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You are right but the website relies on a report of a car that is always here and used regularly not just possibly visiting from another state.