Euro 1973 BMW 3.0CSi 5 speed (NMNA)

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
The safety wire still should be redone since it’s not going to keep anything from loosening up installed like that.
Here's a link to some info from the maker of safety wire showing a double wire installation which is a bit tighter than what's on the E9.

It also states: "The single-wire or single-strand safety wire installation method is more applicable in situations with closely spaced fasteners such as electrical systems."

An E9 isn't an airplane or race car, but it's nice looking when it's twisted tight and there's less chance of vibration issues as well as being more secure.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is making a big deal about it. No one went into the auction and said BaT better pull this listing because it’s unsafe. I don’t think it is a tell tale that work on the car wasn’t done well, lots of people struggle with it. Many omit it entirely. I think the fact there isn’t a laundry list of issues to discuss and the only topics covered here are color in the photos and safety wire on. 6 bolt heads speaks volumes about the car.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Totally agree. I was expecting it to go for more.
I think the fact that it had two driver's side wiper arms really held it down... I wonder how much influence the Euro market vs. N.A. market has to do with the sale price? I could look at the history of other E9 auctions, but am too lazy.

Of course one could import it here, but add those costs to the gavel price. Then there's the whole issue of California titling being almost impossible.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if location shrunk the pool of bidders as I’ve definitely seen worse sell for more and in less-desirable color combos.

Either way seller seems happy and the buyer should definitely be happy.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Buyer just stated that it’s coming to this side of the pond. BAT buyer fees and shipping/duty costs will bring the total to well over $150k.

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Let's hope he joins the Forum. Buying a car in Europe and shipping it stateside means the buyer is a serious collector.

shermanmartinez

Reaction score
The nut is integral to the bolt. Think of it as a hex bolt with a round top. The safety wire could have been a tad snugger. Lol