teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Insane price

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A big fat huge massive stupendous waste of money, and it even was at the time I think, but a fabulous idea. I have wondered if there is a market big enough for an enterprising person to create attractive retro-style radios of quality components with great sound quality. Instead of the blue display, one could use e-ink, which I think should be used for everything honestly. The navigation at that time was a silly addition that just drove the price way up. Porsche has done a great job with their classic radio, such an option available for other cars would be great... not only for BMWs, but think of all the Jags, Astons, Mercs, and so on that could benefit. Of course, one could just outfit bluetooth speakers in every speaker opening and avoid the question entirely, but having a piece of vestigial equipment in the dash would bother me.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this reminds me of the Porsche Classic radio ... they are also incredibly expensive. to me, creating a connection to an iphone and apple car play would be more beneficial ... to allow the easy use of WAZE and music played thru the system.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Updating a Blaupunkt results in the scale not matching the signal as FM and AM are reverse in many Blaupunkts. I had one done in the Midwest and didn’t feel it was worth it.

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am making due for now with a retro-sound radio that has a applique that is meant to look like a vintage radio.

I have the original Blaupunkt and also picked up a vintage Becker Europa, and have been thinking about having the Becker updated with the FMR2/3 technology.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought a nice radio and amp to put in the Coupe (just because). I suspect I will hardly ever use it. LOL - I'll be getting more out of what happens from under the hood.
I also put a nice (period correct - but updated internally) Philco radio in the Mustang. In the 16 years now since the restoration has been completed - I think I have turned it on once (mainly just to make sure it worked - it did, but not very well - LOL)

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Somebody here posted an NMNA Becker Europa II that was listed on eBay several months back. I waited till the end of the auction and then made an offer below the asking price and the seller accepted. (Yay!) This prompted me to look into options for updating it. The list below applies to many of the Blaupunkts and Beckers. I'm sure it's not exhaustive, they're just what seemed to me like the best options. Going from cheapest to most expensive:

1) Creative Car Audio external Bluetooth module that plugs into port on back of radio. Upsides: relatively cheap. Receives power from radio and allows use of original tuner. Downside: only adding another input, not upgrading the sound. Availability limited to select Becker and Blaupunkt radios.

2) Out of Sight Audio external amp and Bluetooth unit. Pretty universal unit with multiple mounting options depending on the hookup. Upsides: works with or without an in-dash radio. Accepts inputs from existing radio (your existing tuner will probably sound the same through the amp, just louder). Modern amp technology and Bluetooth connectivity. Multiple options available. Downsides: finding some place to put an external amp. Needs a separate power supply. Not the tightest radio integration.

3) Aurora Designs radio conversion. Replace the guts of your radio with modern amp and numerous options. Upsides: in-dash radio remains focus of audio control. Original radio controls mapped to new amp where possible. Many configuration options including FM radio tuner. Self-contained within original radio. Doesn't need its own 12v power source. Downsides: have to ship radio off to Aurora authorized dealer for conversion. Most expensive by far. Not sure how it sounds compared to Out of Sight Audio amp or other external Bluetooth amp options.

I've chosen option 1 for the time being. It doesn't sound great because it's using the Becker's internal amp. I liked the price and the fact that I can still use the tuner and the radio in general without my phone. I love radio as a shared democratic experience (yes, I'm one of those people) so it's important to me. Also once when I was driving my first E9 from Bryan, Texas to Brooklyn, NY by way of St. Louis, MO and State College, PA, I managed to tune in 4 different MLB games in one day on the radio. (I was covering some ground that day.) Will I ever do that again? Probably not. Do I want that option if I do. Yes, irrational as it may be, I do.

I know at least one forum member has gone with option 2 and is happy with it, but I can't recall who it is now.

Not sure if anyone has gone with option 3, but I'm curious about how well it works.

It's funny how personal many of these choices are. It seems like everyone rides the line between originality and performance a little differently, be it drivetrains, tires or radios. Makes it interesting!

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Somebody here posted an NMNA Becker Europa II that was listed on eBay several months back. I waited till the end of the auction and then made an offer below the asking price and the seller accepted. (Yay!) This prompted me to look into options for updating it. The list below applies to many of the Blaupunkts and Beckers. I'm sure it's not exhaustive, they're just what seemed to me like the best options. Going from cheapest to most expensive:

1) Creative Car Audio external Bluetooth module that plugs into port on back of radio. Upsides: relatively cheap. Receives power from radio and allows use of original tuner. Downside: only adding another input, not upgrading the sound. Availability limited to select Becker and Blaupunkt radios.

2) Out of Sight Audio external amp and Bluetooth unit. Pretty universal unit with multiple mounting options depending on the hookup. Upsides: works with or without an in-dash radio. Accepts inputs from existing radio (your existing tuner will probably sound the same through the amp, just louder). Modern amp technology and Bluetooth connectivity. Multiple options available. Downsides: finding some place to put an external amp. Needs a separate power supply. Not the tightest radio integration.

3) Aurora Designs radio conversion. Replace the guts of your radio with modern amp and numerous options. Upsides: in-dash radio remains focus of audio control. Original radio controls mapped to new amp where possible. Many configuration options including FM radio tuner. Self-contained within original radio. Doesn't need its own 12v power source. Downsides: have to ship radio off to Aurora authorized dealer for conversion. Most expensive by far. Not sure how it sounds compared to Out of Sight Audio amp or other external Bluetooth amp options.

I've chosen option 1 for the time being. It doesn't sound great because it's using the Becker's internal amp. I liked the price and the fact that I can still use the tuner and the radio in general without my phone. I love radio as a shared democratic experience (yes, I'm one of those people) so it's important to me. Also once when I was driving my first E9 from Bryan, Texas to Brooklyn, NY by way of St. Louis, MO and State College, PA, I managed to tune in 4 different MLB games in one day on the radio. (I was covering some ground that day.) Will I ever do that again? Probably not. Do I want that option if I do. Yes, irrational as it may be, I do.

I know at least one forum member has gone with option 2 and is happy with it, but I can't recall who it is now.

Not sure if anyone has gone with option 3, but I'm curious about how well it works.

It's funny how personal many of these choices are. It seems like everyone rides the line between originality and performance a little differently, be it drivetrains, tires or radios. Makes it interesting!
Another option is a modular car stereo. It comes with carplay and/or Apple play, a large lcd screen (which is the user interface) and the chassis (NOT attached to the lcd). You put the screen wherever you want and mount the chassis wherever you want (a long DIN wire connects them). If I found one with a small enough screen I would remove the speaker grill in the dash and "no damage" mount the LCD there. Here is one such modular unit:

Last edited:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Dan,
I too am partial to an ”old school“ setup. I have a Becker Grand Prix Stereo with external amp and the external blue tooth adaptor. Fully serviced by Becker Auto Sound in NJ. Still running the original 4” rear shelf speakers and dash speaker with Becker fade control. Sounds great IMHO.
478EB572-9C8C-4608-BF3A-3D4A3BC6BA6B.jpeg

Is your Europa a stereo unit? Proper speaker ohm and wiring is important but I trust you’re aware of that.
In my 2002 I have a mono Blaupunkt Frankfurt with two 8ohm 4”speakers wired in sequence and it sounds pretty decent.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan,
I too am partial to an ”old school“ setup. I have a Becker Grand Prix Stereo with external amp and the external blue tooth adaptor. Fully serviced by Becker Auto Sound in NJ. Still running the original 4” rear shelf speakers and dash speaker with Becker fade control. Sounds great IMHO.
View attachment 152325

Is your Europa a stereo unit? Proper speaker ohm and wiring is important but I trust you’re aware of that.
In my 2002 I have a mono Blaupunkt Frankfurt with two 8ohm 4”speakers wired in sequence and it sounds pretty decent.
Yes, the Europa is a stereo unit. You should probably never trust that i'm aware of anything;) Ooh, you have the fader? Nice.

Bimmer 3.0 CS

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can you post a photo of where you mounted the Becker fade control?
Thanks

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I purchased an Aurora Becker Europa conversion for my SL and I will report on it whenever I get it installed. Has Bluetooth, a mic for calls, stereo (original was mono), usb, aux.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can you post a photo of where you mounted the Becker fade control?
Thanks
You caught me. This was supposed to be a temporary spot on the fuse/hood release door, on the unused flashlight receptacle, until I fabricated a bracket to mount it permanently. A year and half later it’s still there. I still plan to mount it in this area so it’s out of sight.
4F75181F-2426-42D7-92A2-D0D283A76EE8.jpeg

Bimmer 3.0 CS

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You caught me. This was supposed to be a temporary spot on the fuse/hood release door, on the unused flashlight receptacle, until I fabricated a bracket to mount it permanently. A year and half later it’s still there. I still plan to mount it in this area so it’s out of sight.
Thanks for the pic, appreciate it

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Still "runniin against the wind." In 1971 my 1600 came with nothing. I mean nothing. Fast forward to mid '80s in my 3.3 Csi that I took to driver's schools.

Even before the custom stainless exhaust I listened to the revs and the exhaust and the tires. All the music I needed or wanted. But I love the Becker europa, for the name and the chrome and the originality. Since then I have purchased Beckers listed as "for parts/not tested." I get beautiful radios in excellent condition for a third the price of a working europa. Yeah, I know modern technology will produce Bose-like sound in my Bavaria, but my ears channel so much less to my brain.

"The years rolled slowly past," sings Seeger. Oh that they had.

Steve