1972 3.0CS NMNA

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are these the wheels @Keshav remade?
I think the spokes running to the center are different, right?

439E8927-60F1-4F35-BBE3-9D1A16527F2B.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are these the wheels @Keshav remade?
I think the spokes running to the center are different, right?

They are 16” H&B’s. They were made new up until a few years ago. I just learned from a member that H&B closed their doors. I suspect that @sfdon got the last of these wheels.

@Keshav remade the 3 piece Alpinas, which haven’t been made in 40 years or so.

JohnP_02

Reaction score
This car is 10 minutes from my house, so I contacted the seller and went to see it in person. I was kind of hoping he would have a nice 2002 turbo tucked away in a corner somewhere, but no such luck - mostly a million dollars worth of Mopar parts. Anyway, it is as you would expect from an e9 that has been sitting for 25 years or whatever. I guess you could say its an "honest" car in that it doesn't look to have been butchered or wrecked at any point. I didn't ask, but I suspect he did not wash it on purpose because it was repainted with enamel paint that is of course peeling, bubbling and chipping everywhere especially on the hood. I don't own an e9, so I am definitely not an expert on where to look, but it seems like it needs everything, rust is everywhere that you can see, paint is bad, interior is fairly trashed, it doesn't run, engine seized from the sound of from a failed head gasket. It is amazing to me that even with all that and covered in dust and paint chips its still just such a beautiful car! The seller is no dummy, he is a retired surgeon, he is just not a "BMW guy" and selling off cars he doesn't want. The H&B wheels are super cool, I have always wanted a set of 4 lugs for my 2002, but I didn't know they made 5 lugs! You can see in the BAT pics that he was swapped out the wheels, he said the others had better tires, so I was able to take some pictures of them off the car. They look in ok condition I guess.

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 65

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That’s an amazing result when you consider the recent BAT running and driving coupes that ended in RNM. If I was looking for a resortoration project I would have gone for this Lancia at 1/5th the price.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I park my E3 in a field it should be ready to sell in a couple months.
I know the thing to do when selling a vehicle on BaT is to do the ice blasting (of course depends on the car) to make it look spic and span. It generally looks great right after, but does take away from some undercoating, patina, etc. It is very expensive and tricky to do and do it right. Lots of man hours involved learning how to do it properly, masking, the equipment costs, advertising, a commercial shop is usually necessary (rent), etc.

I decided to go the other route. I filled my cheap shop vac with all my wood dust, fireplace ashes (always let them cool first), dirt from my neighbors yard, straw from chicken coop etc. Then I charge $100 a pop to go blow it all on a car for sale in my neighbors barn. It's a rotating door over there. $1,000's of dollars a day business with zero cash infusion.

Note: We do charge extra to spray chicken, turkey, and cow patties all over the car when mixed with the other ingredients. We call that package the, "Leave the Barn Door Open" special...works every time! Good times! open 9-5pm..come by and see us for a 10% E9coupe.com special coupon. recently we started giving out group discounts...
London-Barn-Find-2021.jpg

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, seems Rusty the Leprechaun has been up to his old tricks again. Seems to ring true about Rusty, “That is Gold Dust glossing all over it.”

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow. I have to say I was surprised at the final number given the vast needs the car has. I guess it’s a good indicator for the bottom of the market?

What do people think drove the sale price (other than the H&B wheels, of course)?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow. I have to say I was surprised at the final number given the vast needs the car has. I guess it’s a good indicator for the bottom of the market?

What do people think drove the sale price (other than the H&B wheels, of course)?

I think it has just been several years since you could (easily) get a complete car with clean title for less than $20K. Then just tack on the extra for BaT.

JohnP_02

Reaction score
What do people think drove the sale price
I checked in with the seller today and it sounds like a person with substantial means bought it, that's all. If he has the means to save another vintage BMW all the better! Nothing wrong with that. I think he would have let it go for $8,000-$10,000 before BAT entered the picture. Seller seemed genuinely shocked at the final sale price.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Chris, we got smokin‘ deals didn’t we!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Easy....it was my expertise dirt barn dust spray....works every time!!!