Is the ALPINA original mark on the E9 CSL from YouTube?

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not OEM !!!!!

Does any one know any history about this car ie

UK reg
Production number last 3 numbers

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a film showing the badly kept CSL during restoration.

I was wondering about the side stripes with "ALPINA" text. Are they original?

Upon closer look In going to guess no. I’ll throw in my hypothesis along with the typical disclaimer that I’m not a CSL or Alpina expert. If the experts don’t wish to contribute we will be left to our own observations and guesswork.

I believe that all original CSL’s delivered to Alpina to make Alpina B2S’s got the large format “BMW ALPINA” text on the fender. This may have included early customer upgrades.

As seen below:
F6A5A64B-9E1A-4BB0-9CD2-4F293ABAD811.jpeg

I think things get muddy after that. I’ll use the golf that @BMW Pete owns. I believe this carb CSL was sent to Alpina back in the day, and didn’t go there straight from the factory. This car was restored, but has the “3.0 CSL Alpina”. I can only presume that this is what was on the car after Alpina originally upgraded it. You can see the identical graphic on other CSL’s.

Other than Peter’s car, I make no claims that any of these cars are Alpina. Read AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! :D

8C354E03-DD5D-43E0-BB66-E80DDED01ED5.jpeg
396F719A-B03C-4E30-A3B4-F84155645B60.jpeg
00B157BF-E4BB-4269-9049-A57D5A3D9B93.jpeg

The car in question has a deviation of those shown above, with a heavier ALPINA preceding the 3.0CSL text.
2FD8972B-6C33-4F0D-879A-34ECE0478591.jpeg

Later in the 70’s when Alpina adopted their well-known graphics, we see Alpina modified cars with the standard graphic package.

EC3F4D58-B1C8-465C-8BE2-B66A52CD9BB2.jpeg

83803971-7D29-4A4F-AC7B-42AE22262A0E.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sure looks like a 6200 rpm 2800 tach to me. It is a 74/75 btw from looking at the inner fender seams with the two holes without their plastic plugs.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure looks like a 6200 rpm 2800 tach to me. It is a 74/75 btw from looking at the inner fender seams with the two holes without their plastic plugs.

It also has velour seats, euro mirror placement, and a CSI airbox bracket. I think it is a CSI chassis badged as a “CS”.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, it was originally a CSI that the PO in Germany sent to ALPINA. It also has headlight wipers.

shanon

Reaction score
Interesting...also has a Euro speedo, chin spoiler and roll-up windows. Neat car.

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting, I agree!!

Given I am building my ALPINA B2S tribute this topic is close to my heart.

My understanding is the only car that was sent direct from BMW factory to Alpina (for subsequent road use, not racing) was a clutch of those early carb csls ( if anyone can tell me how many , I would be grateful), which were transformed into the b2s, that had the large bold BMW ALPINA logo on the front quarters. mid 1972 ish.

The only other road going car, built by ALPINA at the same time that I have seen documented is the Barbasol CSL from all that famous article (documented here on the website). That one, has a version of the BMW CSL Stripe that is "thicker / wider" and incorperates the same BMW ALPINA , logo, within it (red stripe / silver or white bmw alpina logo). No mention of BMW 3.0 CSL in the stripe.

From there, you have e9's that were delivered to owners then at a later stage, delivered to Alpina for modifications.

Looking at the stripe above, my guess is it was not created by Alpina, but by the owner, post the Alpina modifications. Not to say the car was not tuned by ALPINA per se.

Other E9,s taken by their owners to be modified by ALPINA, in 74/75 etc, seem to have the early , bold Alpina Pattern running along the mid section of the car, rather than the guard. ( note the white car, with the BLUE/GREEN later pattern, often shown around the site...

For me, I am matching the early carb b2s spec as much as I can, therefore may aim is that the only difference will be, thicker gauge steel body and RHD. Along with an m30 that is actually 3.7, a 5 speed rather than 4 speed, a modern lsd unit within the diff , and progressive springs. thicker sway bars, and ALPINA front and rear strut brace.

I will post pics of thECARS i have mentioned.

Welcome all corrections / comments

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So the famous orange alpina b2s.. then another orange car "mock up" on the alpina (austalia) website,, my view is , that this "mock up stripe", is based off alpina barbasol design, ( black and white pic and color), if you zoon in, you see the side stripe pattern, espec the black and white pic.. my strips will be either all black or all white as per the first pic mock up, on a verona (original color) car..

a81f567870d2fed59693be062fff721b.jpg
alpina 5.jpeg
BMW_ALPINA_CSL_SW_2.jpg
csm_BMW_ALPINA_CSL_Front_717d4fb39c.jpg

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would tend to agree, likely added by the owners, at best, after purchase and installation of Alpina parts. keep in mind, the early carb csl's that were tuned by Alpina direct from the factory, did not even have csl stripes,, because BMW had not created them (they also has 3.0 cs, badges)...

Hence BMW ALPINA on its own, then once BMW began to produce csl's with csl stripes, alpina adjusted it, to be BMW ALPINA within a "wider" csl style stripe. this is my theory at least...

eastsideM3

Reaction score
Label me skeptical. 11 Alpina logos and a non-standard Alpina carb setup. Beautiful 38CM Alpina wheel though.
Its my car. Its one of the earliest B2-S 245HP conversions at Alpina in 71. I have all the build sheets and its documented with hercules filters not the air box. At this time they only had the earlier version of air box for the CSL which was a lightweight version with decal not the ones you see today in metal with the raised logos. Ive seen a few other e9's with my setup but very rare.
Yes originally a CSI converted at Alpina Kaufbeuren early in its life. I did add the side "CSL type" stripes and 16" Alpinas because they look better in my opinion. I still have the original early closed hole 14" Alpina wheels. When I purchased the car it did have the BMW ALPINA decals on the sides.
Alpina never put CSL Alpina stripes or CS Alpina stripes on any of their cars. Only BMW ALPINA on the sides of the hood, but to me a bit boring. The silver car of Carey Illda (injected CSL converted to B2-S pictured above), was the first to make them and we all copied.. The car was found in a rough state and was meticulously restored. Originally built for a Saudi Prince by Alpina, it somehow wound up in the states where Illda found and restored it and created those stripes..
LL-L502 B3 250HP car was a press car for Barbasol so those stripes were created for it. Only the two inka CSL's, the silver CSL and the Barbasol car pictured above, are "authentic" Alpina built CSL's. The others are non CSL's (white and blue car), or Alpina parts put on CSL's

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying! My apologies for the skepticism. :oops:

Its my car. Its one of the earliest B2-S 245HP conversions at Alpina in 71. I have all the build sheets and its documented with hercules filters not the air box. At this time they only had the earlier version of air box for the CSL which was a lightweight version with decal not the ones you see today in metal with the raised logos. Ive seen a few other e9's with my setup but very rare.

I’m a visual learner. I did notice that the logos on the airbox looked period and proper, even to compared to other logos with the DCOE’s. Here is another example of your airbox setup that @JamesE30 found.

935F8E46-8A17-41BA-ACC4-16FE4A7928E7.jpeg

DD5AE19C-1C31-4C46-A87C-DFF4DBC96C6E.jpeg

Here is an example of the early plenum that you referenced. Also below on the Barbasol CSL.
7D3ED2B9-5425-4339-9A56-C06A1E801786.jpeg

LL-L502 B3 250HP car was a press car for Barbasol so those stripes were created for it. Only the two inka CSL's, the silver CSL and the Barbasol car pictured above, are "authentic" Alpina built CSL's. The others are non CSL's (white and blue car), or Alpina parts put on CSL's

The Barbasol car also had mechanical fuel injection with ITB’s!
9E310AB3-5EC0-4CB3-8656-41EC7C23B104.jpeg

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Eastsidem3, thanks for the information, it basically confirms how I was thinking.

My question is , given the Barbasal car was prepared by Alpina for roadgoing use, should that stripe pattern be considered as "original" and period correct as the clearly period correct "bmw alpina" logo sitting alone on the front quarter?