BMW "Birth Certificate"

I knew this post existed, but just looked it up again. I just sent an email to BMW group classic to ask for the manufacture date, original color, and the importer. Not a great deal of information, and something they'd sent for free many times previously. When I saw the price of 150 Euro, I was offended and disgusted. I really do not understand why they feel a digital piece of paper with very little information is worth this to enthusiasts of their history.
Well, they are the company that wanted owners to pay a monthly fee to keep their seat heaters on. They backed down from that, but still think subscriptions are in the future for owners of new cars.
And if they can squeeze a little more money from us vintage BMW owners for a simple email, they aren't shy about it. Sadly, they simply don't care about supporting their history.
BMW Group reported a net profit of €7.451 billion ($7.52 billion) for the 2025 financial year. We aren't even a blip on their charts, or a rounding error in their spread sheets.


BMW Commits to Subscriptions Even After Heated Seat Debacle
 
Well, they are the company that wanted owners to pay a monthly fee to keep their seat heaters on. They backed down from that, but still think subscriptions are in the future for owners of new cars.
And if they can squeeze a little more money from us vintage BMW owners for a simple email, they aren't shy about it. Sadly, they simply don't care about supporting their history.
BMW Group reported a net profit of €7.451 billion ($7.52 billion) for the 2025 financial year. We aren't even a blip on their charts, or a rounding error in their spread sheets.


BMW Commits to Subscriptions Even After Heated Seat Debacle
I agree... and why I don't plan on purchasing a car from anybody that wants to charge me recurring $$ to use a feature that is physically installed in the car.

On the other hand, I will be purchasing a new truck in a few months and don't mind paying a nominal fee for features that provide 'external' utility to my use of the vehicle.
For example - Ford charges for connectivity. I could use my cell phone as well for that functionality - but the truck can do that itself (for a fee via Ford). Same with monitoring for alarms and such. The truck has an alarm, but if I want it monitored or I want to have access to those functions (via my phone) - then that is ok (by me) as well.

Now - say they want to charge for generic cruise control (not 'smart' - just old fashioned speed holding) or the proverbial heated seats - then I will look elsewhere...
And with the remote access the manufacturers have now to the systems within these newer cars, just because they don't charge now for something doesn't mean that they always won't (even on something already in your garage). I am keeping that in mind and why I will likely not purchase any new 'new' cars in my future. My truck here is likely going to be the last new anything I buy. And not real happy about the nannies I get on the 2027 F350 as it is - let alone with what may be coming in the future.
 
You guys are making my brain hurt. My "new" daily driver is a 27 year old car, and I'm not sure that is old enough. We will never have a new car in this household, I am certain. These subscriptions to the car we've purchased are one of several reasons to support this.

I wrote a nastygram email to BMW Group Classic in response to their message. It will not matter, but I had to tell them what I felt about this.
 
You guys are making my brain hurt. My "new" daily driver is a 27 year old car, and I'm not sure that is old enough. We will never have a new car in this household, I am certain. These subscriptions to the car we've purchased are one of several reasons to support this.

I wrote a nastygram email to BMW Group Classic in response to their message. It will not matter, but I had to tell them what I felt about this.
Agree. I hate new cars..they’re all garbage. Anything newer than the late 80s is pretty much trash..I daily a 50 year old Land Cruiser and love it..cars suck now..add in electric and it’s almost c completely down the drain..just my opinion, of course..
 
Back
Top