"New" Blaupunkt Frankfurt / Modern Bells and Whistles / Due in 2026

One should not be using the built-in amplifier anyway. I intend to just use it as a head unit in my SL. Real amp goes under the seat to a Focal front end.
 
From the other Chris: I have an OutofSight Audio two channel amp and two 6x9 speakers on the rear deck. Don puts speakers under the rear seat. It is compact and produces 40W (?) of good sound.
 
i will be using the out of sight audio four channel with bluetooth telephone. i have focal speakers in the rear parcel shelf, the parcel shelf cover is wrapped in black speaker cloth. i have to figure out how i am going to mount the separate tweeters - the crossovers are mounted in the trunk under the parcel shelf. the front focals will be mounted in the side kick panels and the tweeters are mounted in the side ashtrays with perforated metal covers. if i need / want a small subwoofer, i will put it under the rear seat and use passive radiators in the front wall of the seat support - where original speakers were located. separate power amp will only be considered if needed.
 
It is certainly challenging, but it can be done using the right components and proper interior acoustic calibration, ultimately by installing a DSP processor.
 
As noted above, please tell us more about your interior. Appears to be on a level like Rolls Royce or similar. Quite the jump from our usual spartan 1970's dash, console and seating. We are interested. ;)
Woodwork was done in bookmatched burr walnut by an ex RR (Mulliner Park Ward) employee. Being an RHD car the grab rail was always veneered but i also opted to have the window switches veneered as i felt the brushed aluminium seemed out of place. The centre speaker panel was swapped for a pair of modern Smiths stepper motor oil pressure and temp gauges, hazard and fog light switches were relocated to the radio panel as well as an aux fan switch as I felt it tidied up the knee switches which always seemed an afterthought.

I also had the centre console, dash lower rail and a few other areas trimmed in leather to suit to match my fathers M3 which had extended ecru leather and the sunvisor panel in black perforated leather. Seats are Scheel 501S with the rear seats having been reprofiled to match.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20240825_181719.jpg
    IMG_20240825_181719.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20231203_171846.jpg
    IMG_20231203_171846.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 26
  • received_307528412088576.jpeg
    received_307528412088576.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 22
  • received_1086345379411518.jpeg
    received_1086345379411518.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 22
  • received_2656734127823633.jpeg
    received_2656734127823633.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 28
Woodwork was done in bookmatched burr walnut by an ex RR (Mulliner Park Ward) employee. Being an RHD car the grab rail was always veneered but i also opted to have the window switches veneered as i felt the brushed aluminium seemed out of place. The centre speaker panel was swapped for a pair of modern Smiths stepper motor oil pressure and temp gauges, hazard and fog light switches were relocated to the radio panel as well as an aux fan switch as I felt it tidied up the knee switches which always seemed an afterthought.

I also had the centre console, dash lower rail and a few other areas trimmed in leather to suit to match my fathers M3 which had extended ecru leather and the sunvisor panel in black perforated leather. Seats are Scheel 501S with the rear seats having been reprofiled to match.
That is amazing, to me the only part that doesn't fit is the steering wheel
 
That is amazing, to me the only part that doesn't fit is the steering wheel
Agreed that a wood wheel (nardi or similar) would be more in keeping. Personally I hate the feel of a wooden wheel especially during spirited driving or being dazzled by reflections off a chrome spoke making it hard to read gauges. It is a 350mm Momo Prototipo S from the mid 70s. I had an Ati 3 motorsport wheel on there before but felt it suited the cockpit even less and the petri seemed a touch large and thin rimmed for more liking.
 
i will be using the out of sight audio four channel with bluetooth telephone. i have focal speakers in the rear parcel shelf, the parcel shelf cover is wrapped in black speaker cloth. i have to figure out how i am going to mount the separate tweeters - the crossovers are mounted in the trunk under the parcel shelf. the front focals will be mounted in the side kick panels and the tweeters are mounted in the side ashtrays with perforated metal covers. if i need / want a small subwoofer, i will put it under the rear seat and use passive radiators in the front wall of the seat support - where original speakers were located. separate power amp will only be considered if needed.
Really interested to see how this set up works for you. I do find the system in mine to be lacking somewhat especially up front.
 
Can you post some more pictures of the dash area and console? I agree that the green and yellow buttons on the underside seem as an afterthought, nice to see some options others have chosen. If some of us ever end up creating a newer center armrest console, I wonder whether I would be tempted to move some of those switches into the console, out of sight for rarely used items.
 
Woodwork was done in bookmatched burr walnut by an ex RR (Mulliner Park Ward) employee. Being an RHD car the grab rail was always veneered but i also opted to have the window switches veneered as i felt the brushed aluminium seemed out of place. The centre speaker panel was swapped for a pair of modern Smiths stepper motor oil pressure and temp gauges, hazard and fog light switches were relocated to the radio panel as well as an aux fan switch as I felt it tidied up the knee switches which always seemed an afterthought.

I also had the centre console, dash lower rail and a few other areas trimmed in leather to suit to match my fathers M3 which had extended ecru leather and the sunvisor panel in black perforated leather. Seats are Scheel 501S with the rear seats having been reprofiled to match.
Thanks for sharing that. I would absolutely go through the trouble of replacing my woodwork if I could get burr walnut. I knew it looked familiar, I look right at the same material in the dash of my Austin Healey 3000. ;)
 
Agreed that a wood wheel (nardi or similar) would be more in keeping. Personally I hate the feel of a wooden wheel especially during spirited driving or being dazzled by reflections off a chrome spoke making it hard to read gauges. It is a 350mm Momo Prototipo S from the mid 70s. I had an Ati 3 motorsport wheel on there before but felt it suited the cockpit even less and the petri seemed a touch large and thin rimmed for more liking.
I think I have that steering wheel as wheel, I will have to have a look at it
It is not so much the rim that looks out of place to me, it is the spokes, your interior looks very 'plush' with the burl wood and matching leather covering the formally black vinyl parts, the black metal spokes look mechanical
 
My view is we are unlikely to get good sound quality in a coupe. No matter what you do to add sound deadening, improve the quality the electronics, modify speaker location, etc., the environment of our cars is full of unwanted background noise. Glass transmits low frequency sound well, and tires on the road give off lots of low frequency sound, so the beautiful greenhouse of a coupe creates a very poor environment for music.
…and I wouldn’t want to create an environment that would dull the beautiful melody of the triple webers in the cabin. You cannot underestimate the added enjoyment they provide to the overall driving experience.
 
I had a mid 60's 1800 4 door one time
the dash was very simple, a couple knobs on each side of a slider, there was no room for anther switch and keep it symmetrical, so they stuck it under the dash
 
Thanks for sharing that. I would absolutely go through the trouble of replacing my woodwork if I could get burr walnut. I knew it looked familiar, I look right at the same material in the dash of my Austin Healey 3000. ;)
there are some veneer pieces on ebay - here are a few, but there are many more. you might also look at madrone burl or carpathian elm burl.




 
there are some veneer pieces on ebay - here are a few, but there are many more. you might also look at madrone burl or carpathian elm burl.




I did not know there were these wood veneers available so easily. Perhaps I did not want to know, as now I have to do the calculations as to how long this job "wood" take me. ;) Thanks Scott, you really love talking about woodwork! Mike
 
Back
Top