New Owner, Newish Member

chchnz

Reaction score
Hello All,
Apologies, I am late to introduce myself, crazy times here in the quaky city.
I joined this forum in September, based on lurking here for the last few years, and seeing a car posted I was after. I am in Christchurch NZ, and saw my first coupe here when I was 18 (a few years ago...) Totally smitten I went straight to BMW dealer to find out what it was and what was it worth. I have come close a few times (Munich Legends 5 spd polaris in 2006), but exchange rate a killer. Have had my eye out since, and took the plunge on 2285034 late late year. Car is now here, and hopefully mostly through our rigorous compliance (things English and Karmann tend to get a little more attention then is ideal). My wife does not approve (air dam=hoon car), and it has no rear belts (kids), and no doubt will take up time and money but I am looking forward to enjoying what is in my opinion one of the most beautiful, semi affordable icons available (Miura, Atlantic and 8c's being somewhat out of reach). The plan is to drive and enjoy, preserve and hopefully improve, and no doubt ask and learn a fair bit. I have been very impressed with the knowledge and sense of community shown on the forum, and hope to learn from all here, sad to hear of Murry's passing, a bit of a legend, love the video with the cat and car.
For the sake of family relations(being Valentines Day), what advice re rear belts on a fairly mint interior CSL with none?
Thanks in advance, regards Ben

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 323

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Hi Ben, very smart looking CSL ...RHD too...or is the photo back to front also ??:)

I see that you kiwis also have the new VW ..ha !

Like you, I'm relatively new here but I seem to recall that there is something on the web ( maybe this site ? )regarding rear seatbelts . Maybe just google "rear seatbelts E9" and see what comes up...I'd do the link thingy but I didn't have the benefit of a NZ education .

Cheers, Simon

chchnz

Reaction score
flip it LHD

Ewe know it ain't all its cracked upto be, we all died in the wool gumboot techies.....bit concerned cos you on the same side as us and photo should be right way up. Will have a look re belts cheers, think the car better suited to oz climate really, either way up!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love that shot of your car. HAha.
For rear belts you can mount a set of retractors on the rear shelf with reinforcements or go even further and build something custom into the car like Paul Cain did in his coupe.
I started a similar thread a couple of years ago and got some good info:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10081

chchnz

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I will have a look. Have had to fit a high stop light to comply car, and seats etc out for inspection so will see what will fit. My daughter left door open on my wife,s car last week, so flat battery with all of us needing to be at different locations in short order, and my truck off road we all piled in, sans rear belts. You soon realise how much glass and low the coupe is with you 6 year old jumping around with no belts and every police car in the city taking the same trip as you.....need to get them in!

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations Ben. Is that Verona? Love it.
Something old, restored and bright red can only be inspirational in Christchurch during the city's rebuild.

chchnz

Reaction score
Hi Gazz,
Thankyou-Yes it is verona, I had other colours as a preference but it has really grown on me. Things old and restored not really part of the new Christchurch plan at this stage, shiny and large areas of glass are though, so gets in on that! Also deep rubber and cushy ride are great for our mean streets. Lots of dented low profiles here.....Good luck in your search, a NZ new CSI just sold v quickly here for 47sh, a line out the door to buy it I heard, was very tidy and had alpinas, SS wheel arches etc, will be interesting if new owner shows up here. In photos looked a good buy and immaculate.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I really enjoyed visiting Christchurch, even told my wife " I could live here". Hope Drexels managed to survive somehow - best breakfast place in NZ.

I currently have dibs on 2 CSs. I'm checking one in Melbourne next week but it will have to be very very good to be better than the other I have found. Australian delivered club car, barely driven for the last 13 years. Hasn't been in the rain or even washed during that period ( he uses a waterless cleaning method ). Can't find any rust on it anywhere. I would show a pic but I don't actually own it yet.
Pick it up in 3 weeks when the owner is back from Europe, if things go to plan.

You should be able to flip your avatar.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Registry

your coupe is registered but if you send a PM with an email and password, I will make the change and you can add photos and change the status to "driven"

chchnz

Reaction score
Driven

Hi Stan, is that for this site password?? Sorry new to this forum so not clear what you mean, is this the registry-car was from cslrich so he probably has it there?
Ben

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Stan, is that for this site password?? Sorry new to this forum so not clear what you mean, is this the registry-car was from cslrich so he probably has it there?
Ben

Look at the top of this page. On the black line between the german flag and the coupe headlights you will see CS Registry. Click that and then you can enter your vin in the search box.

CSLRich

Reaction score
Gone but not forgotten

Look at the top of this page. On the black line between the german flag and the coupe headlights you will see CS Registry. Click that and then you can enter your vin in the search box.

Hi Guys, can confirm that Ben in NZ now has my beautiful ex-UK Verona CSL. New job forced sale as the old saying goes, but very happy it's gone to a good home and is getting used.

Ben - hopefully you get the rear belts sorted. I have seen them on some US cars, with extension arms to clear the trim.

Ex-CSLRich

David Morrell

Reaction score
Hello All,
Apologies, I am late to introduce myself, crazy times here in the quaky city.
I joined this forum in September, based on lurking here for the last few years, and seeing a car posted I was after. I am in Christchurch NZ, and saw my first coupe here when I was 18 (a few years ago...) Totally smitten I went straight to BMW dealer to find out what it was and what was it worth. I have come close a few times (Munich Legends 5 spd polaris in 2006), but exchange rate a killer. Have had my eye out since, and took the plunge on 2285034 late late year. Car is now here, and hopefully mostly through our rigorous compliance (things English and Karmann tend to get a little more attention then is ideal). My wife does not approve (air dam=hoon car), and it has no rear belts (kids), and no doubt will take up time and money but I am looking forward to enjoying what is in my opinion one of the most beautiful, semi affordable icons available (Miura, Atlantic and 8c's being somewhat out of reach). The plan is to drive and enjoy, preserve and hopefully improve, and no doubt ask and learn a fair bit. I have been very impressed with the knowledge and sense of community shown on the forum, and hope to learn from all here, sad to hear of Murry's passing, a bit of a legend, love the video with the cat and car.
For the sake of family relations(being Valentines Day), what advice re rear belts on a fairly mint interior CSL with none?
Thanks in advance, regards Ben

Hi Ben
I've just found your post.
I owned WUP 538L back in '84 when I was 24.
Do you still own the car?
I have a couple of photos of the car from 36 years ago I'd be happy to share if you're interested.
Best
Dave Morrell