WTB: CSL style hood prop rod parts

rickpbaker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for the parts that make up the hood prop support used on the CSL cars. Specifically the prop rod (support), the bracket that is riveted to the underside of the hood, the rubber grommet (holder), the stow hanger (bow). See RealOEM diagram below with part numbers. However the bracket that is riveted to the hood isn't given a part number.

I've been told the prop rods were all hand made, same with the bracket. The support is the same as the trans vent hose carrier E3/9. I have seen the prop rod listed at 33" long.

My hope is someone out there had a CSL correct template and has made these parts before and would be willing to sell me them?

Some relevant links for anyone interested:

Support: 51231819625
Holder: 51231819628
Bow: 24111203865

diag_f1v.png

The prop rod are all hand made. Same with the bracket. The support is the same as the trans vent hose carrier E3/9

Last edited:

rickpbaker

Reaction score
Thanks tferrer, I removed that photo to avoid any confusion.

I dug up some photos I took of hood prop rod on Carl Nelson's CSL car in his showroom. Not sure is the holder (rubber grommet) and the bow (trans vent hose carrier E3/9).

I'll just fabricate these parts for myself, but figured I'd ask here in case someone has made some in the past?

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i once heard that the bracket was the same as the bracket used for the driver side glove box. my coupe isn't here or i would go look

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
i once heard that the bracket was the same as the bracket used for the driver side glove box. my coupe isn't here or i would go look
It's not the same. There supposedly is another on the underside beneath the dash somewhere but I've not seen it.

@rickpbaker - No one has duplicated those parts as far as I am aware

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks easy enough to fabricate the rod out of some 3/8s to 1/2 inch aluminum rod & make a hood bracket out of some 1/8 aluminum from an old road sign. would likely be better than the 'factory' steel one.

I've also seen several CSL hood props that are a 1 inch dowel rod with cane feet on both ends.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@rickpbaker -Assuming you are asking as you have a genuine CSL? VIN?

Andrew- If its a real CSL 1 inch dowel rod isn't likely to meet requirements. Same goes for the prop rod holder. Mine was lost at a shop and it is completely hens teeth to find. I dont think the Bavaria auto trans line bracket is the same though I've heard it is. The correct bracket is below...

Attachments

• CSL Hood Prop Holder in engine Compartment.jpg
    CSL Hood Prop Holder in engine Compartment.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

rickpbaker

Reaction score
@tferrer oh no way I don't have a CSL. I've got a euro spec 1971 3.0 CS. Previous owner replaced the quarter panels in the 1980's and the original hood support armature don't fit as nice as it should. Figure an easier interim solution is a CSL style prop rod.

Appreciate the advice guys, will fabricate my own I think.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@tferrer oh no way I don't have a CSL. I've got a euro spec 1971 3.0 CS. Previous owner replaced the quarter panels in the 1980's and the original hood support armature don't fit as nice as it should. Figure an easier interim solution is a CSL style prop rod.

Appreciate the advice guys, will fabricate my own I think.
Then I'd take @adawil2002 advice and just fab up a prop rod from a wood dowel and paint it and use rubber tips. You'll never find these parts out in he wild...