‘71 2800cs first start

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I guess the is the beginning of my trip down the next rabbit hole. This is not a lonely place as I can see by the other projects on this forum.

This is a 2800cs that hasn’t run in 15 years. The previous owner parked it in his garage after experiencing a fuel leak, this was the story.
After bringing it home I decided to pour 2 gallons of marvel mystery oil in to the case and some in to each cylinder. Why 2 you ask, because 3 would have been silly.

I let the MMO soak for two weeks. Today I installed new plugs and with the help of a little brake cleaner, a jumper box and a lot of sweat (it’s blazing hot in the storage unit) I attempted to wake up the old girl.

Today was a good day. Only squirted brake cleaner In my eye once.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Way to brag about your “impressive” motor starting skills. :rolleyes: Oh wait you were talking about the amazing M30 motor! :D Great job!

Can you explain what you did to engage the starter with the battery alone? Did you have the key engaged and ran hot directly to the starter?

I was highly skeptical that mine would start when I first looked at it, but the oldtimer that sold it to me had it running in no time. I used an outboard motor tank (with the hand primer) hooked right up to the carbs. Drove home (three blocks) with the tank in the passenger seat.

These motors really are magnificent!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Key on then a home run straight from the starter to the positive battery terminal.

Good info on the startup! I’m a one man shop. I’ll be sure to keep it out of gear also! About my precious response. Come on buddy you KNOW I was kidding! :D

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this is great news Mike ... looking forward to reading about how far down the rabbit hole you go this time. its great to have you back being more active on the forum.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
this is great news Mike ... looking forward to reading about how far down the rabbit hole you go this time. its great to have you back being more active on the forum.
Thank you Scott!!! I’m happy to be back! This is a fantastic composition of great people, great information, and great cars. Most importantly it has helped make great friends! I’m glad to join the rabbit hole clan!

Last edited: