1 window works and 3 do not

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was driving the other day stopped that car, rolled up the drivers side window. Came back out of the store and now on the rear drivers side window is the only one that is functional.
Load shedding relay?
Any others with this type of experience?
Thanks

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What year? The 74 has a window load shedding relay and a circuit breaker

Last edited:

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep, no breakers.
VIN 2250403 was manufactured on December 15th, 1972 and delivered on January 09th, 1973
Thanks for the info.
The only thing left would be the load shedding relay. This is the only common piece that would cause 3 of the 4 windows to not function, maybe?
Power to fuse 8 and 9 come from this relay, correct?
Will try to test the blower motor tomorrow. I think it is on one of these fuses also.
Thanks for all the input.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My windows used to get stuck due to the motors over torquing against the stops. Used to use the window tool or a slot screw driver to release the tension. Eventually replaced the worn rubber stops and now they don't get stuck as much.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you have early motors with the door card access covers you can put your finger on the gear while pressing the switch to see if the motor is binding like Andrew mentioned

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will try your suggestions. Not sure why 3 would stop working all of a sudden. I could see this being the the problem if it was one window. It feels like the problem is something that effects the entire system. Thanks.

jmackro

Reaction score
My windows used to get stuck due to the motors over torquing against the stops. Used to use the window tool or a slot screw driver to release the tension. Eventually replaced the worn rubber stops and now they don't get stuck as much.

I like that theory. Can't explain why three windows would get stuck at the same time, but it is a common problem with e9 windows.

It's certainly not the load shedding relay; if that failed, all four windows would quit working, as well as a lot of other electrical components.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recall that in the old motor variant the wiring is daisy-chained inside the switch console from one switch to the next 4 times. It is possible
things got disconnected at one point where three are left unconnected. No explanation for why this would happen after activating the window...
One test is to try the rear window that does not work using the switch in the rear seat rather than the front console. If it works it strengthens the daisy-chain theory, if it doesn't it is likely electrical (fuse. etc.).

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
After verifying power to all the switches decided that I needed to remove door panels and check each window. As most of you anticipated all 3 windows were stuck. Once I helped the motors they are all working again. I likely put the windows up without watching each of them to ensure they were not over torque'd. First step is to install all new rubber stoppers & adjust. clean & grease the tracks. Need to prioritize the the front window motor upgrade! Thanks for the help.