10 cities CSL road test

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what became of this car? I am thinking of retracing the route next year in my RHD golf csl. Whenever i read it i think of how capable these cars were for the time.

Regards,

Rohan

giannicsl

Reaction score
I also am curious to know!

ROHAN, I wrote to you in private!

I asked you if you know some csl RHD!

We must help guys! , -)

CSL 1973

Reaction score
CSL road test - Ten European Capitals in four days

Hi Rohan,

Brilliant idea!

This famous test was carried out in November 1972 and published in Motor Sport magazine in January 1973. The golf CSL used (reg plates NYH 160L and equipped with a period Alpina front spoiler) was picked-up at the BMW Concessionaires (GB) Ltd in London in November 1972.

The RHD CSLs were all built between September 1972 and January 1973. My guess, this CSL was built in late September or early October 1972. Less than 350 RHD CSLs were built in 1972 and the rest in January 1973. Therefore, a VIN between 2285001 -2285200 is most likely. All in all, less than 40 RHD CSLs in Golf were built. Some 10-15 Golf RHD CSLs are known with a highier VIN than 2285200.

Conclusion: there are some 25 potential RHD cars in Golf (among the first 200), that could be the famous CSL in this road test. BTW, the UK reg plate NYH 160L is not in use anymore.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

Stefan

Reaction score
Rohan, suddenly from a question, we all love to see you doing it!

"CSL road test - Ten European Capitals in four days"

More info please! The route?

shanon

Reaction score
Make it so!

Sounds like you Euro Coupers should put a 'Ten x Four' coupe tour together.

Sounds similar to the recent re-run of the Jag E-type dash across Europe celebrating the E-type's first car show debut. (Classic Motorsports magazine)

Make it happen and take lots of pics!

Keep on Coupin!
-shanon

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone know what became of this car? I am thinking of retracing the route next year in my RHD golf csl. Whenever i read it i think of how capable these cars were for the time.

Regards,

Rohan

Hi Rohan,

I am hoping to buy RHD CSL this year, got my eye on two, that are for sale, i will only buy one.

If with a bit of luck, i become a CSL owner again, then i would luv to come along with you, if you do not mind, to do this great road trip, with 2 csl's.

Regards
sandhu

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Steve, that sounds like a plan. Are you looking for a golf car specifically? The white car at four star classics looked nice when I visited them recently.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Rohan,

I am looking to buy a CSL, that has already had the bodywork, engine, gearbox etc etc , work done on it.

Cosmetics and minor work, i can do myself.

I would luv to find a showroom, Mint CSL within my budget..(with abit of luck or i can dream).
the CSL's for sale at 4star classic's are...MINT, so i have been told over the phone.
do you no the production numbers of the white, red csl they have for sale and what is your opinion on these 2 CSL??, are they MINT?.

Hopefully, fingers crossed, i will buy a CSL, before you go on your CSL adventure, next year and i can come along with you.

Regards

sandhu

Last edited:

CSLRich

Reaction score
Another car in the convoy ?

My disclaimer up-front is that I'm a guy with a CSL in numerous pieces and states of rebuild at the moment. HOWEVER if I needed an incentive to get it finished then this is it. What a great idea and could tie in well with the 40-yr celebration theme developing in another thread. We could get some great shots in iconic locations to tie in with those from other Coupers around the world.

Did anyone work out the route. In no particular order I'm guessing at London, Brussels, Amsterdam (oh yes), Luxembourg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Berne, Paris plus a bonus of Munich. Or maybe we wouldn't get that far east, heading down to Madrid, Lisbon, Andorra and Monaco baby, yeah !

Or maybe we just wouldn't get past Amsterdam, which is fine by me....

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rohan, suddenly from a question, we all love to see you doing it!

"CSL road test - Ten European Capitals in four days"

More info please! The route?

That is a good time.

It took the Panzers 11 days to do the Blietzkrieg, but then again they did not have aluminum hoods and had to go around the Maginot line...

CSL 1973

Reaction score
CSL road test - Ten European Capitals in four days

Dudley Noble took his Humber Snipe to ten Capitals (Paris, Berne, Vaduz, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Berlin, The Hague, Brussels and London) in ten days in 1937. In November 1972, it was time for a Golf CSL to do ten capitals in just four days. The CSL was equipped with some extra tins of Duckhams engine oil (20W50), a Porsche first-aid kit, some umbrellas and a Bardic torch etc.

Actually, this road test was ment to be carried out in a Jaguar XJ12. But when the car magazine (Motor Sport) asked the Jaguar representative, no Jag was available. However, the magazine asked the BMW representative instead. He jumped on the idea and immediately arranged a CSL for this road test.

The route was the following:
Day one: London - Paul Street, Dover, Calais, Paris, Lyon, Valence, Nice and Monte Carlo (893 miles).
Day two: Ventimiglia, Genoa, Florence, Rome, Bolzano and Linz (1145 miles).
Day three: Vienna, Munich, Basel, Bern, Basel, Frontier, Karlsruhe and Bonn (1083 miles).
Day four: Trier, Luxembourg, Bastogne, Namur, Brussels, Breda, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Ghent, Ostend and London - Tower Bridge (668 miles).

Total: 3 789 miles

November 2012 would be an interesting time period to repeate such CSL road test.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Henric if we do it then the salt will disolve the car by city 5! I see the article on eBay from time to time. Rich, how far into it are you? Got any pics?

Rohan

Motorhead

Reaction score
I took my Golf CSL back to Munich this year and had a great trip (with friends in an E3 and E28 M5). We looked into redoing the 10 capitals in 4 days route. We came to the conclusion it probably couldn’t be repeated in four days due to modern traffic and speed limits (and of course Bonn is no longer a capital). However, on the plus side there are more motorways now.

Golf CSL registration NYH 160L is not on the UK BMW Club CSL register. Best guess is that it passed away many years ago.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
The UK BMW importeur at the time used several RHD CSLs as test/press cars. Mainly early ones like:

NRK 22L
NRK 23L
NRK 26L
NYH 160L
MYV 406L
NUC 20L
PYV 905L

Most of these reg plates are not valid on CSL cars anymore. Interesting to note that pretty many of these Press cars were equipped with the Alpina-style front spoiler.

Cheers
Henric

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think one of the fjord blue cars for sale recently was NRK and had an alpina chin spoiler.

I took my csl to the Oldtimer Grand Prix and found it goes better when back in its homeland!

Perhaps it should be the 10 cities in 4 days with a disposable driving licence!

CSLRich

Reaction score
Rebirth

Henric if we do it then the salt will disolve the car by city 5! I see the article on eBay from time to time. Rich, how far into it are you? Got any pics?

Rohan

My car had been off the road in (fortunately) dry storage since 1988 when I bought her back in Spring. As she's spent more time off the road than on it, condition not too bad although usual e9 rust areas of spare wheel well, sills and arches all needed attention. Thats all done and I'm now refreshing brakes etc. Got a long list of jobs to keep me busy until Spring before a respray ready for a glorious, dry sunny Summer (yeah, right). and maybe a Euro tour !

rich

www.flickr.com/photos/66978992@N04/6264359448/

www.flickr.com/photos/66978992@N04/6264359850/

OLDBENZ

Reaction score
The UK BMW importeur at the time used several RHD CSLs as test/press cars. Mainly early ones like:

NRK 22L
NRK 23L
NRK 26L
NYH 160L
MYV 406L
NUC 20L
PYV 905L

Most of these reg plates are not valid on CSL cars anymore. Interesting to note that pretty many of these Press cars were equipped with the Alpina-style front spoiler.

Cheers
Henric

I have just seen this old post.

I have NRK 23L which is still on its original plate and is still Taiga Green. It is chassis 2285007. I bought it in late 2015 after a complete restoration. It has a lovely history from late 1973 onwards but I do not know anything of its first year. I had suspected that it was used as a press or test car as I have seen magazine articles from 1972 with NRK 22L and NRK 26L. Does anyone have any information?

I can confirm that (at least from 1974) the car has the standard City-spec of a front bumper and no spoiler.

IMG_0223.jpg

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The cynic in me says that if you did 10 European cities you would get speeding tickets, parking tickets, and other fines for about three years.
I did five cities last July and I am still getting crap in German and Hungarian every week. Plus the elbow arthritis I developed by having to pay tolls in Italy every 8 miles of highway... Long live Shengen.