$135K 23 Window Bus Sold at Mecum - It's a fake

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this this very recent, story which sadly is far from over. It hits on a number of points that are discussed on this board. The first that comes to mind is that pointing out all the flaws on on our e9's isn't always a a bad thing, partiularly with CSL's. This bus actually made way throught thesamba years ago and was torn apart by forum users. It surfaced again at auction years later after some freshening, and a poor guy paid $135K for it.

VIN fraud has been a major issue with desireable air cooled VW's and Porsche's. With values spiking in the E9 world, it isn't unlikely that we will see more falsified VIN's. This is unfortunately all too common, especially in the UK as I mentioned in a pervious post about a VIN tag for sale for $500. While I belive that auctions tend to cater to buyers that act on impulse rather than research, the thread below reiterates that it is ulimately the buyer's responsibility to validate the car.

Synopsis
  • Guy buys 23 window bus at Mecum for $135K - Notes the missing tag in the engine
  • Forum points out a few oddities, asks for more pics
  • Forum discovers Frankenstein grafting of parts from various years
  • Forum discovers bus is basically two vehicles welded in half
  • Forum questions vin stamping
  • Some forum members make "if it looks like a duck" argument
  • Some forum members explain the concept of fraud
  • Birth certificate provided with sale is now suspsect, missing watermarks and security stripe, signature may be scanned, not hand written
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694683&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Philippe db

Reaction score
The same in any hobby involving money Markos. It's just a matter of time before the crooks arrive. And the victims are always te same people , to much money and to little brains. Just think of the idiot paying a couple of hunderd thousands for Adolf Hitler's phone.

scottd

Reaction score
So who has that kind of money, but didn't get concerned with lack of body identification?? not to sound righteous but sorry that's the real crime here. $135k is significant.

Scott

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It’s like binge watching a series on Netflix. I’m only half way through, need to go to work. Can’t wait to finish.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So who has that kind of money, but didn't get concerned with lack of body identification?? not to sound righteous but sorry that's the real crime here. $135k is significant.

Scott

I disagree. I think the real crime is fraud. $135K very well could be insignificant to someone whom can afford a six figure hobby car. Being cheated still hurts, whether it is $135K or $5 at a gas pump. One thing I know for certain, the OP isn’t clamoring about spending his life’s savings. He was wronged by someone shady.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
who measures the body plates thickness when they buy a CSL ?? .... i think the rest can be easely faked "as" one... or do i forget something ?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
CSL only e9 worth faking.

Rampant in musclecar world . Especially chevys with fake stamps on everything

scottd

Reaction score
I disagree. I think the real crime is fraud. $135K very well could be insignificant to someone whom can afford a six figure hobby car. Being cheated still hurts, whether it is $135K or $5 at a gas pump. One thing I know for certain, the OP isn’t clamoring about spending his life’s savings. He was wronged by someone shady.

Ok let me clarify... It looks like the seller(s) are the real criminals here, and I'm not arguing that point, but an informed buyer should be concerned with the purchase of any car with ANY anomalies with the VIN and identification tags. This car appeared to have had those anomalies, and any PPI would show that. I feel very sorry for the buyer. I'm just surprised as he appears to have been looking for (and learning about) this particular car. And the red flags were all there and no independent resource was consulted. Sellers are frequently misrepresenting their cars, and someone pretty far into misrepresenting this one.

Scott

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
it stays fraud and criminal act .... it should not be a game between seller and buyer to find out the truth. The one who "knows" , so the seller, should be clear. No wonder that happens with cars above 100k.... :)