14" tires options

shanon

Reaction score
Howdy all,

What 14" tires brand/sizes are you guys using these days? Discovered recently that I have 'consumed' :)twisted:) my Yoko AVID ST 225/60/14s a bit sooner than expected....DOH! And they have been discontinued.

Haven't found anything similar in size (I liked my meaty 225s) but these Sumitomo's seem real close. I've heard good things about them and they're a great bang for the buck.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Sumitomo&model=HTR+200

Any thoughts? is there a big difference between 225 and 205? or is like different company's shoe sizing...?

TIA!
-shanon

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Original- 195 70 14

First #= width (sidewall to sidewall)
Second #= Aspect ratio
Third #= Rim size

Aspect ratio determines sidewall height of tire. Above sidewall is- 195mmX.70=136.5mm or 5.374"

OD would be- 5.374+5.374+14= 24.75" prox

If you use 225 60 14's- OD will be slightly smaller by only 3mm, affecting speedo by 1/2%

205 60 14's have 23.69" OD.... off by 4.3%

Best ride??? Lots of opinions out there......Good Luck!

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I went tire shopping for 14in and ended up deciding to go with 16 in wheels. There were only like 2 tires to choose from and I didn't like either. Perhaps better to look on Craigslist for a used set of discontinued yoko's or something

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Shanon I know you like to tear it up..If you want super sticky tire's , these Toyo ra-1 are great..

AIM Tire's over at Sears Point has them, the ra-1 are a close out they are replaced with r88.

They only have
225/50/14

We ran the Ra-1's on the M6, I think they are a little pricey but ...well you know.

http://www.aimtire.com/typ_category.asp?ObjectID=6650

Barry

pmansson

Reaction score
XWX

I have suggested these in the past. No longer available in 195/70 VR 14 but 205/70 VR 14. In fact the diameter of these are just about the same as the 195s were in the mid 90s.

They look very cool and period correct. Goes without saying that they perform very well in all conditions.

Michelin makes a batch in April and October, and I buy them through www.longstonetyres.co.uk
In Europe they have a special deal incl. free delivery to all (European?) countries.

I have them on several E9s and am very satisfied.

gwittman

Reaction score
I have been running BF Goodrich 215/60-14 Radial T/A tires for many years. I have been happy with them. I don't wear them out but they get old and eventually have to be replaced. I have one now that has a very slight bulge in the side wall and should probably be replaced. I feel no vibration and keep and eye on it to make sure it is not getting any worse. It has held up well for over a year now since I first noticed it.

They also come in 225/60-14 but I prefer the 215 tires. Less chance of rubbing without modification.

D B Couper

Reaction score
Shanon,
I have been running the Sumitomos in a 205/70 14 size for over a year now and I am very happy with them. I went on a 1,200 mile rally through the high country of Colorado with many modern cars including Ferraari 430's and even a Z8 and following them down some steep winding mountain passes the problem I had was brakes not tires. They roll a bit but seem to take a set so I can commit to a corner without fear, Not a racing tire by any means, but a decent performing tire at a remarkably good price. Oh, and they fit without any rubbing, which I was afraid of with the 225/60 size.

D B Couper

Reaction score
Shanon,
I have been running the Sumitomos in a 205/70 14 size for over a year now and I am very happy with them. I went on a 1,200 mile rally through the high country of Colorado with many modern cars including Ferraari 430's and even a Z8 and following them down some steep winding mountain passes the problem I had was brakes not tires. They roll a bit but seem to take a set so I can commit to a corner without fear, Not a racing tire by any means, but a decent performing tire at a remarkably good price. Oh, and they fit without any rubbing, which I was afraid of with the 225/60 size.