16" tires the new 14" ????

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
A 2010 date code has me looking at replacing the 205/55 - 16 front and 225/50 - 16 rear tires on my staggered Alpina rims. Options have been well covered in various threads on this forum, but this is the first time I have personally looked in any detail. To my surprise I am finding a limited number of options for max. performance summer tires 16" rim diameters.

My history with Michelin and the reviews of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport would make it my preferred tire..... however it is not produced in less than 17" diameter . Unfortunate.

Other options considered:

Pirelli P Zero: Kumho Ecsta PS91; Goodyear Eagle F1; Toyo Proxes all 17 - 18" min.

Bridgestone Potenza S-04? Close...205/55/16 but no other sizes in 16".

Bridgestone Potenza S007A and Continental Extreme Contact Sport??? Finally options in 16". Thankfully both good tires, I will likely go with the Continentals.

Reflecting...my preferred rim/tire combination for the E9 has always been 14" rims (stock/Alipna/BBS...you pick) with Michelin XWXs. Price of the Michelin's has kept me away. If in the future, quality 16" tire options dwindle??? I may need to rethink this.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you considered Yokohama S Drive. I am running them in 205/55/16 and 225/50/16. Quality tyres and reasonably priced.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I run the Pilot Sport AS3 on my modified Forester and this has been the best tire I have bought in terms of being good at everything. Previously I always had a set of summer tires on my daily driver. Not any more. Now I can push the car in 3 seasons rather than 2. I plan on buying a set for the Coupe. Hopefully 16's hang around a while longer.I consider these summer tires that still grip in the wet at 40f.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I suggest 14" Alpina or stock FPS coupe wheels with repro Pirelli Cinturatos.

Ran CN36s on my 2002 and Alfa Duetto the 70s. Great tire. For the coupe however, the XWX just seems right as it was the big boy tire in the day...Porsche, BMW, Ferarri etc.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks Chris,

Running these tires currently. Great all season tire. Want to look at Summer tires this round. I don't anticipate driving in below freezing temperatures and want to avoid compromises in the tire tread design / compound to meet this metric. Better wet and dry performance with a Summer tire....especially wet....although that is to be avoided!!! The Continental is a close second to the Pilot Sport in the Tire Rack Summer tire testing. Should be a good tire. I have trusted the TR assessments for years. Never let me down.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agreed, the Pirellis are a lot less $$$ though and still have the period look and amazing tread pattern.

Ran CN36s on my 2002 and Alfa Duetto the 70s. Great tire. For the coupe however, the XWX just seems right as it was the big boy tire in the day...Porsche, BMW, Ferarri etc.