16x7 Refurbished BBS Mahle

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not mine..

There aren't a lot of options out there for period correct 16" BBS. These fit the bill and are the right offset.

I wouldn't consider this a bargain, but not bad if the lips were really machined and the powdercoat is new.

If you aren't local and are seriously interested, I could probably ship them for you. Shipping would be around $80, perhaps a bit less. I am in the area quite a bit.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/wtd/5329102195.html

00d0d_h65fDtSVyfS_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a great deal to me considering to refinish the wheels would have easily cost $700 with the fresh powder coating.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm going to stop by this evening to have a better look. I also want to know how much they would charge to machine my 17's.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I disagree. They do not appear to be the type that can be disassembled.

These are one piece wheels. However, there are plenty of wheel companies that will widen one piece wheels. It would probably be cheaper to buy a set of RS's with new lips and barrels though.

Like this:
IMG00103-20100513-1949.jpg

m5lp_1006_05_z1993_ford_mustang_LXs.jpg

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
The picture Green's show on the link is of a one piece wheel they did so pretty sure widening the Mahles is possible. The economics are another matter - currency, shipping etc.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
but remember, in order to widen a wheel, say from 7" to 8", unless you add equal amounts to both sides, you will not change the offset. for instance, a one piece ET11 wheel that is widened, will be widened to the inside ... this well keep it ET11 and the wheel will be widened toward the centerline of the car. the point is that rubbing on the suspension (or something else) might occur

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
oops, you are correct, i got my geometry wrong. i stand corrected.

Although I consider myself offset challenged I was going to chime in as well. I think your point still holds that you can only increase the offset, and you don't have the opportunity to recenter the wheel. If you widen three piece wheels, you can keep the original offset by replacing the lip and the barrel.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I'd like to see these widened on the outer lip. Apparently some can be widened on the outer and some cannot, though I've never fully understood why. ( My points of reference are I was told RC090's could only be widened on the inner lip, while I have seen plenty of Porsche fuchs widened on both the inner and the outer, something to do with getting tires on I was told.)

Anyway...cool period wheels these are!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sold to a new forum member for under asking price. I'm the mule so they are with me awaiting shipment.

This shop will polish my style 5 lips for $65 a piece, which is very fair.

23228872771_4baf6b6032_b.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sold to a new forum member for under asking price. I'm the mule so they are with me awaiting shipment.

This shop will polish my style 5 lips for $65 a piece, which is very fair.

Does this shop remove the clear coat, polish, and re-coat?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It seems that they will do whatever you needs. It doesn't seem like a high quality places. I think that their core business is used car dealers. I'm going to give it a shot, maybe try one wheel first and report back.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does this shop remove the clear coat, polish, and coat?

With mirrior polished wheel lips, I'd leave them bare (non-clear coated). Not as easy to maintain and clean as clear coated rims, but with periodic cleaning and polishing, they will look new and shiny for years to come. Also with clear coated lips, once they get "curb rashed", they will be almost impossible to repair. Another benefit is no more peeling and flaking of the clear coat.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It seems that they will do whatever you needs. It doesn't seem like a high quality places. I think that their core business is used car dealers. I'm going to give it a shot, maybe try one wheel first and report back.

Who's this co.?